Sterling, VA

Posted April 19, 2014
Great school with caring teachers and friendly families. My oldest started kindergarten here last year and has learned so much. The teachers keep the parents involved, and the parents also talk to each other (and we just moved into the area in time for school so we knew no one ahead of time). It is a surprisingly collaborative community I fear we will not easily find again if/when we leave the area.

Posted February 28, 2014
Potowmack Elementary is a wonderful school with great leadership and a caring staff genuinely invested in providing a quality education. My son loves the school staff and activities there. They really focus on incentives, not only for academic achievement, but emphasizing character. The PTA has strong parental involvement and treats the staff very well to show our appreciation.

Posted November 02, 2013
One amazing school with caring and fabulous teachers and parents. We feel so fortunate our child is receiving such a great public education.

Posted February 09, 2013
I have three children currently attending this school and my husband and I say that we lucked out getting to send our kids here. Our kids are not white and I have only volunteered a couple of times in 3 years. And my kids are graded fairly and all of their teachers and the other administrators at their school have gone out of their way for them. My kids have been noticed for doing good deeds and have received awards. This is a great school. My mom is a retired school teacher of another state and she came to visit my kids for lunch and was so impressed with the students, the projects in the hallway and my kids knowledge not just of math and reading and history, but of art and music. And I have noticed that my kids and other kids at this school miss school when they are not there.

Posted August 12, 2012
I attended Potowmack quite awhile ago- I started there in 2nd grade in 1999, and graduated from 5th grade in 2003. It was a wonderful school and the years I spent there were amazing! The only year that wasn't so good was 3rd grade, because I had a pretty bad teacher that year, but all my other teachers were excellent and I learned so much from them. Mrs. Snow, my 4th grade teacher, is the only one of my teachers who is still at Potowmack currently. She was one of the most wonderful and caring teachers I have ever had, so the kids of today are very lucky to still have her there! I also had lots of nice friends and was never bullied by any other kid. The PTA activities were so much fun and my parents and I loved going to them. The drama club was great- I was in it and performed in the play in both 4th and 5th grade. When I look back on my childhood, it puts a smile on my face and I get all nostalgic, and I can definitely say that a lot of it is due to having had the privilege of attending Potowmack Elementary!

Posted June 01, 2011
I am a student at Potowmack Elementary School who is going to enter sixth grade next year. I do not believe that this school is bad in any way. The PTA activities that are organized, such as Bingo Night and Variety Show, are very fun. All students are treated equally and are given the same chance to learn.

Posted August 16, 2010
I am horrified to read the review which labeled this school and teachers as racists! I am parent of one non-white kid studying there for four year now. My child has done extremely well both academically and socially. Apart from an unruly kid case in 1st grade, there have been 0 instances of bullying or mistreatment. There is a great bit of parent volunteering and involvement. However, it's all free labor and to the benefit of all children. Their children might be benefiting a bit in terms of social comfort level in school, however, I do not believe that they get free ride academically. Both my child and I absolutely love this school and the teachers.

Posted May 20, 2010
We have been with this school for 3 years now. It is a great school with very good teachers and an excellent principal. The PTA is excellent too. This school has differentiated instruction from grade 1. Kids dont feel pressured as they are put in groups based on their ability level. They are all made comfortable, so they can do their best. The PTA organizes Chess, Cricket,different language classes, several other sports and craft activities after school, to cater to all the kids. The school offers well rounded education which is what our kids need to do well in life.

Posted May 19, 2010
Potowmack Elementary has been an amazing school for my boys. We've been here for four years. We have had AMAZING teachers every year. I love that each class has levels of learning for each child. The effort the students and parents put in shows in the output of the child's education. The principal does a great job of hiring highly educated, creative, and caring teachers.The PTA is wonderful as well. The activities they provide during and after school are diverse and interesting to not only the students but the parents as well! We HIGHLY recommend this school.

Potowmack Elementary School 1

Posted May 18, 2010
This is a racist school where white kids get more attention and recognition. Even if the child is academically way ahead, the teachers will prefer the white kids to non white kids. The other factor that drives the grades and recognition is the parents volunteering a lot. Their kids then , even if they are below grade level get straight As in their report cards. In some classes, the study material provided is much below standards . Overall, I would say.. stay away from this school if you are not white.

Potowmack Elementary School
46465 Esterbrook Pkwy, Sterling, VA  20165
Last modified Potowmack Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Potowmack Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top