Sterling, VA

Posted November 14, 2014
My children went there and I was so dissappointed considering it was in an "upscale" neighborhood. There was bullying as well as no help from the principal or the teachers. We moved them to a private school and were very satisfied with the result. Shame on public school these days.

Posted October 11, 2014
Condescending staff and Lazy teachers. I have had it with the staff in this school, I've only met one person - office staff - who seems to treat parents as competent equals. I have a very bright student, and now 8 weeks into the school year, after being told the second week "a little time" was needed to get situated and have something available for my child at his level, I asked again last week (for something that should have taken an extra minute of work for the teacher, at most), and was given a very condescending "you'll have to wait" again. Also, the teacher hasn't asked for any classroom volunteers yet. If this teacher is so overwhelmed an unable to help a bright student, why aren't parents being asked to help?

Posted May 28, 2014
My son has been going to LIES for 4 years, we have only had a great experience. This year is a bit tough, but his teacher is strict and it by now means represent the atmosphere at school. Overall we have been very happy with this school, and we are looking forward for our youngest son to start kindergarten this year!

Posted February 22, 2014
We have very successfully been through K-5 and now in SRMS and my youngest is in his 3rd year at LIES. We have only had good experiences here. There was one year that was tough only because the teacher pushed on the weakest subject, which turned out to be his best academic year. Many of the newer teachers, despite their lack of tenure, they make up for in enthusiasm and communication to parents. They are much more apt to using email and technology in the classrooms (every class has a promethean board which kids LOVE!). I was concerned as well in seeing the turnover at LIES, but change can be good. And so far we have been very happy and my kids are thriving. And like many things, your satisfaction as a parent can be derived by what you put into it. I am not at the school very often to help with many of the classroom daily events, but make every effort into helping on field trips and special events. I work full-time outside the home and the children whose Moms and Dads stay at home and help with daily classroom activities, we are forever grateful for your volunteerism. Any issues we've had along the way were dealt with and it has prepared my son well for middle school.

Lowes Island Elementary School 2

Posted August 30, 2013
I agree with previous reviews that some of the teachers are prejudiced, there is lot of teacher turnover as a result of ineffective management and a number of newly hired inexperienced teachers. Also, if you are not activitly volunteering at the school, your child maybe negelected and may not get the priviledges that the kids with stay home Moms who are practically at school almost everyday.

Posted August 24, 2013
Administration act prematurely and sometimes disrespectful .They only care about their school rank, not students .Very bad experience.

Posted June 21, 2013
Not clear to me why the superintendent and county haven't looked into this school. Bullying is extreme; the principal turns a blind eye. Teacher turnover is out of control. We moved out of the neighborhood because of the weaknesses of this school. Our kids are in another Loudoun school and doing great. Don't move here if you're looking for a good educational experience for your kids.

Posted June 18, 2013
This is by far the worst experience I've had with the school system and people. This school only cares about being #1. Being #1 doesn't necessarily mean you are doing great. It's not how you start the race is how you finish. I would like to see how many children from this school end up being doctors, lawyers, noble prize winners, I can probably tell you none. A lot of teachers leave unfortunately not the that should.

Posted May 14, 2013
Horrible, horrible school and admin. Most of the teachers are newly hired and very inexperience. Bullying is a normal norm of the students. Some teachers are very Prejudice and, discriminating the kids who don't have American parents. If you are a kind of parent who don't object schools miss-treatment and unfairness, then this is a right school for you . But if one day you break your silence and try to solve the issue peacefully with principal then get ready to be kicked out of the school for good . You have to keep your mouth shout and follow their army rules. We had our child there for 2 years .Kindergarten was not bad, but first grade was horrible experience for my child .She is finishing her second grade at one of the top Gifted and Talented private schools in Virginia and we couldn't be happier. But anyway, bottom line, we thank Lowes Island for our present satisfaction and happiness. If it wasn't for them , we would miss all the joy and happiness that she and us as the parents are experiencing right now:)

Posted April 24, 2013
A special thanks goes to the great staff and teachers at LIES, the school is one of the best schools in this area. This is my daughters second year at the school and she loves it. The teachers are exceptional, they all work together to help the student. You find a great team spirit if the office, and they do their best to make it a fun experience for all the students. We love the school.

Lowes Island Elementary School
20755 Whitewater Dr, Sterling, VA  20165
Last modified Lowes Island Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lowes Island Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top