Posted February 21, 2014
big disapoitment. moved from fairfax public school and we terribly miss the very wise teachers we had. i feel that horizon is not helping my child succeed. the amount of homework is unbelievable for the age. to the point that my child is loosing interest and feeling overwhelmed. the child is in school for almost 6 hours already every day! tons of pressure on the kid, stress. no time for extra school activities yet... really considering changing schools. if you are considering horizon for your kids, go visit and meet the principal/teacher first, ask all of your questions and good luck. we are not having a good experience.

Posted April 11, 2013
My son really enjoys all this school has to offer. I don't know how many schools there are in the US that focus on children's strengths and challenges, but this is definately one of them! I have seen my son excel not only at school but at home as well with guidance from the amazing staff of Horizon Elementary.

Horizon Elementary School 4

Posted October 05, 2012
I have two children that go here and it has been good. I have not heard a single complaint or "gossip" about the teachers, principal, other kids or families. I do not engage in that behavior myself so that might explain it.

Posted October 04, 2012
I know some of the teachers here and they are really great. However, the principle has created such a negative work environment here that it has seriously become a really bad place for both teachers and students. Many teachers left when they discovered she had been hired as the principal. She is rude and spends all her time gossiping about teachers and other students. She consistently shows poor judgment in her dealings with staff and parents.

Horizon Elementary School 4

Posted August 29, 2012
We love this school! It is our fourth year here. The teachers and staff are great! We had only one glitch with an unexperienced, first-year teacher. But it seems the principal and staff are aware an working with that teacher.

Posted July 11, 2012
This is hands down one of the worst schools you could possibly send your child to. The staff and faculty are un-interested and just plain rude. The principle is always too busy gossiping to worry with speaking with parents or students. The front office staff is among the worst I have ever seen. We moved just so our child could attend this school because we had so many good rec's about it. After 6 months we pulled our child and sent him to a private school that we are thrilled with. I would not send my dog to Horizon let alone my child. our child will NEVER go to public school again. Thanks Horizon for being the worst school possible.

Horizon Elementary School 2

Posted April 07, 2011
New this year at Horizon is this ridiculous effort to pin every kids' action as bullying. In my child's class, they pulled a number of kids out on 2 occasions to talk to them about the dangers of bullying because some parent wrote a letter. They did not bother verifying if that parent was exaggerating or if the statements were true or not. The tenure teacher was yelling at one crying boy "Yes, you _were_ a bully!" His friends knew he was not. My child was traumatized by all this false drama even though he was not the one involved and could not concentrate on school work for the whole week because looking at his friends that he knew were innocent, he felt afraid. And this happened twice in one school year! This was the same tenure teacher who at one point was replying to a parent email on the projector in front of the whole class, embarrassing the child whose parent had emailed the teacher. Academically, the school teaches to the test so the test scores remain high. The quality of teaching is at best mediocre. They no longer do switch-match per county directive, so the math curriculum is now below average.

Posted March 30, 2011
I have had 2 children at Horizon. The staff is amazing! Energetic and skilled working with the kids. I have had staff at the middle schools tell me how prepared the kids are coming from Horizon. My kids loved all of the extra activities that the PTA provides.

Posted March 28, 2011
Horizon, River Bend and Potomac Falls high School was one of the main reasons I moved to the Sterling area.

Posted March 26, 2011
We have 2 kids at Horizon for 5 years now and we are very happy overall with the school. Ms. Daniel is an excellent 1st grade teacher - she has high expectations and the kids really perform up to them. The academic growth is unbelievable in 1st grade! My kids have both had some very creative teaching and enthusiastic teachers. Our family loves and attends all of the fun afterschool PTA sponsored events too. Our kids love going to Horizon!

Horizon Elementary School
46665 Brdmore Dr, Sterling, VA  20165
Last modified Horizon Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Horizon Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top