Bad
Good

We love Horizon! We've had two children go through the school and have one current student there now. They all have had great experiences. The principal has always been pleasant and helpful. She met with us about a small concern we had with one of our children and she took time to really listen. She even took extra time to personally check in with her and follow up with us. The teachers have been excellent and do creative lessons-not just prepare for tests. Our kids have had fun at Horizon and have certainly prepared academically for middle school.

This school used to be great. Not any more...The administration particularly the principal is AWFUL. My student was bullied all year and no one even called to tell me. When I learned how serious the issue was her response was that she was handling it..it happen 3 more times. Obviously she was NOT. My last encounter her she was smug, rude, and extremely unprofessional. Lots of teachers are leaving because of her. She really has ruined this school.

Overall, very well-behaved kids. Teachers that are very involved in the child's success. Excellent well-balanced curriculum. Better facilities, including labs, promethean boards in classrooms, up-to-date gymnasium Strong PTA program. Excellent extra-curricular programs for students. Excellent CASA program.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The school has several ways of rewarding students for good behavior -- e.g., awarding students points or stickers for good deeds, recognizing student achievements (not just academic, but character/citizenship as well)

Horizon is a great school. I have 2 kids there, and they have excelled at this school. The guidance counselors are awesome, and do so much to make sure your child is happy there. The teachers are very caring, and communicate all the time to the parents. I love the PTA, they have so many activities and ways to participate in the school. I have not had any interaction with the principle, but everything has seemed to be well organized and efficient.

This is our second year here and I have to say it's on eof the best schools that I have ever encountered. Great teachers and staff. My child is so happy. At my child's previous school (a private school) there were so many sad days. Here, my child want's to go to school everyday! Such an improvement! Even the bus driver is amazing and so friendly. My child has learned so much in just one year. We are very, very happy!

School is kind of ok.Both my kids went there for like 3 years. The search program here is a joke. Can't believe they'll say No to a kid who scores 99 percentile in cogat and Nnat, who is a straight A student, reads like 2 grades above her current grade. Not exactly sure how the class room teacher and the Search teacher can't recommend such a kid. Really did not have a clue on what they expected. I just pulled my kid out and went to a neighboring county which welcomed my kid into full time GT with open arms. And that was the best decision I took. The 2 stars I gave was for the strong PTA community in this school.

All three of my children and my nephew have attended Horizon Elementary School over the past 7-8 years. The teachers are consistently willing to work with kids and parents to help students succeed. Guidance counselors are excellent and promote responsible behavior. Support staff is happy, efficient and friendly. The principal and vice principal are also very good, I have seen repeated evidence of caring, concern, and character (one of the messages communicated to students) across the board at Horizon. As my kids attend(ed) Horizon I feel they are in a safe, structured, fun learning environment that helps prepare them for middle school. The school also holds many activities that are great for families including the spring fun fair, bingo & movie nights, fun runs; helps educate our kids on the importance of caring for others (sweats for vets, food drives); encourages physical fitness (after-school running club is one of the best!) and promotes a tangible sense of community that seems pretty rare for this busy area.

I love this school! My old 5th grade teacher loved to challenge us but still be fun. I would highly recommend it. The fourth grade team is amazing. the third grade I feel could be a little bit better though, same for first and second grade. The art teacher Mrs. Quinn is just plain amazing.The music teacher, Mr. Gravtitii very fun. The P.E Teachers, Mrs.Booth and Mr. Funkcousr are okay .

big disapoitment. moved from fairfax public school and we terribly miss the very wise teachers we had. i feel that horizon is not helping my child succeed. the amount of homework is unbelievable for the age. to the point that my child is loosing interest and feeling overwhelmed. the child is in school for almost 6 hours already every day! tons of pressure on the kid, stress. no time for extra school activities yet... really considering changing schools. if you are considering horizon for your kids, go visit and meet the principal/teacher first, ask all of your questions and good luck. we are not having a good experience.

Last modified Horizon Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.