Sterling, VA

Posted May 14, 2015
Horizon is a great school. I have 2 kids there, and they have excelled at this school. The guidance counselors are awesome, and do so much to make sure your child is happy there. The teachers are very caring, and communicate all the time to the parents. I love the PTA, they have so many activities and ways to participate in the school. I have not had any interaction with the principle, but everything has seemed to be well organized and efficient.

Posted May 05, 2015
This is our second year here and I have to say it's on eof the best schools that I have ever encountered. Great teachers and staff. My child is so happy. At my child's previous school (a private school) there were so many sad days. Here, my child want's to go to school everyday! Such an improvement! Even the bus driver is amazing and so friendly. My child has learned so much in just one year. We are very, very happy!

Horizon Elementary School 2

Posted May 04, 2015
School is kind of ok.Both my kids went there for like 3 years. The search program here is a joke. Can't believe they'll say No to a kid who scores 99 percentile in cogat and Nnat, who is a straight A student, reads like 2 grades above her current grade. Not exactly sure how the class room teacher and the Search teacher can't recommend such a kid. Really did not have a clue on what they expected. I just pulled my kid out and went to a neighboring county which welcomed my kid into full time GT with open arms. And that was the best decision I took. The 2 stars I gave was for the strong PTA community in this school.

Posted March 12, 2015
All three of my children and my nephew have attended Horizon Elementary School over the past 7-8 years. The teachers are consistently willing to work with kids and parents to help students succeed. Guidance counselors are excellent and promote responsible behavior. Support staff is happy, efficient and friendly. The principal and vice principal are also very good, I have seen repeated evidence of caring, concern, and character (one of the messages communicated to students) across the board at Horizon. As my kids attend(ed) Horizon I feel they are in a safe, structured, fun learning environment that helps prepare them for middle school. The school also holds many activities that are great for families including the spring fun fair, bingo & movie nights, fun runs; helps educate our kids on the importance of caring for others (sweats for vets, food drives); encourages physical fitness (after-school running club is one of the best!) and promotes a tangible sense of community that seems pretty rare for this busy area.

Posted May 22, 2014
I love this school! My old 5th grade teacher loved to challenge us but still be fun. I would highly recommend it. The fourth grade team is amazing. the third grade I feel could be a little bit better though, same for first and second grade. The art teacher Mrs. Quinn is just plain amazing.The music teacher, Mr. Gravtitii very fun. The P.E Teachers, Mrs.Booth and Mr. Funkcousr are okay .

Horizon Elementary School 1

Posted February 21, 2014
big disapoitment. moved from fairfax public school and we terribly miss the very wise teachers we had. i feel that horizon is not helping my child succeed. the amount of homework is unbelievable for the age. to the point that my child is loosing interest and feeling overwhelmed. the child is in school for almost 6 hours already every day! tons of pressure on the kid, stress. no time for extra school activities yet... really considering changing schools. if you are considering horizon for your kids, go visit and meet the principal/teacher first, ask all of your questions and good luck. we are not having a good experience.

Posted April 11, 2013
My son really enjoys all this school has to offer. I don't know how many schools there are in the US that focus on children's strengths and challenges, but this is definately one of them! I have seen my son excel not only at school but at home as well with guidance from the amazing staff of Horizon Elementary.

Posted October 05, 2012
I have two children that go here and it has been good. I have not heard a single complaint or "gossip" about the teachers, principal, other kids or families. I do not engage in that behavior myself so that might explain it.

Horizon Elementary School 1

Posted October 04, 2012
I know some of the teachers here and they are really great. However, the principle has created such a negative work environment here that it has seriously become a really bad place for both teachers and students. Many teachers left when they discovered she had been hired as the principal. She is rude and spends all her time gossiping about teachers and other students. She consistently shows poor judgment in her dealings with staff and parents.

Posted August 29, 2012
We love this school! It is our fourth year here. The teachers and staff are great! We had only one glitch with an unexperienced, first-year teacher. But it seems the principal and staff are aware an working with that teacher.

Horizon Elementary School
46665 Brdmore Dr, Sterling, VA  20165
Last modified Horizon Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Horizon Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top