Sterling, VA
Students enrolled: 1,149
Before care: Yes

River Bend Middle School 2

Posted September 14, 2014
I go to River Bend currently and I find that it's no better or worse than any other middle school. What I find bad, though, are the space issues. The locker areas are crowded and because they're are too many students, there are several different lunches for all of them. In schools like Sterling, all the grades have one lunch together, as a grade, and I think it's the most proactive way to do things. Another bad thing is that with the new principal, there have been many drastic changes that the student body despises. The dress code for one. Shouldn't a school be more focused on education than what someone wears? Of course, if a student comes in wearing something explicit, actions need to be taken, but if he or she is wearing a hat? Or a pair of leggings? My last, and probably most significant complaint, is the fact that 8th graders were promised in the past that they would be able to listen to music during study hall. The principal has taken that privilege away. At Sterling, all three grades got to listen to music as long as they weren't failing any classes and I think that's a great idea to incorporate. Thats something that can be taken away for a valid reason- your grades are poor

River Bend Middle School 1

Posted April 18, 2012
We also had a problem with bullying at this school. My child was bullied and so are many others. Since this has never happened to my child before attending River Bend (or since), I believe it was the culture and lack of discipline at this school that caused the problem. The administration made only minimal effort with short-sighted solutions and no serious consequences for the bullies. I do not believe the parents of the bullies were ever informed of their kids behavior. Despite months of complaints the bullying became worse over time as the bullies became more aggressive. The student body is so accustomed to this behavior they stand by silently. This is unfortunate for those being bullied, and in particular for the bullies themselves. Being permitted to treat others this way will harm them too. My family is out of the situation but sincerely hopes the school will take more proactive steps to stop and prevent bullying activity at the school. The teachers noticed when the bullying affected academic performance, but failed to take effective action. The guidance counselor is friendly with the bullies and unwilling to have difficult conversations with the bully's parents.

River Bend Middle School 4

Posted December 17, 2010
I have both six and seventh graders in this school. This school has great programs like Strings. I am concerned with some a couple of teachers that need to show a little more structure in their classrooms. I have had complaints from both kids. They are saying kids talk during class and the teacher does not send them to the principle and they do not respect the teacher, making it hard to learn the lesson being tought. Now on the other hand, there are teachers that have great passion and care for all students and have great communication with parents thru email and calls. I think this is vital in a world that we the parents have to work and do not know what might be happening during school time. I wish they would make this a mandate for teacher to follow. Communication is vital to student success. If the principle address the problem areas I would be happy to give them a 5 out of 5 score, but at this time I must give them a 4 star. i do recommend this school but make sure you have good communication with your childs teacher or they might fall thru the cracks. Good Luck!

Posted November 06, 2008

Posted September 09, 2008

Posted August 28, 2008
Academically - very good school Extra curriculum activities many programs that will challenge our kids Teacher student interaction teachers keep challenge all the students tare want to achieve their higher potential Teacher parent interaction very strong as long as the parent is involved in its child education Security I feel very secure while my kid is in school Student help school has programs that can work individually with each student Teacher accessibility teachers return phone calls or emails in less than 24 hours and take the time to talk with parents and students at all time. Teachers take the time to address personal questions and work with parents and students Secretary When you call the school they are very nice on the phone and very prompt on delivering your phone calls. But they are not very friendly, I never felt welcomed in the front office, they do not

Posted August 15, 2008

River Bend Middle School 2

Posted May 15, 2008
Academically the school has been good and I most of my sons teachers are excellent. The music program is awesome! On the other hand there is a huge problem with bullying. My 6th grade son has been picked on, threatened and teased. As a result he went from a straight A student to grades slipping. Without our help and encourarement he would have failed 3 classes. This has not been a positive environment and it is very upsetting. The guidance counselor has been a good resource. Unfortunately, she hasn't been able to stop the taunting. At least once a week something else happens. Needless to say, we aren't happy and won't return next year.

River Bend Middle School 0

Posted December 07, 2007
River bend is a great schol we just move to this area and all the teacher really help my children in every way possible become comfortable A+ I currently have a 6th and 8th grader.

River Bend Middle School 3

Posted October 05, 2007
Academically a great school. However, needs to work on embracing more of a strings program to compliment it's great band and chorus programs. Also, needs to look at after-school extra-curricular drama production as just that - extra-curricular. Should not be used as the central high-light of the school. Focus should go back to the academics.

River Bend Middle School
46240 Algonkian Pkwy., Sterling, VA  20165
Last modified River Bend Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
River Bend Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top