Guilford Elementary School 1

Posted September 08, 2014
Once upon a time Guilford Elementary was a good school with good test scores and good teachers. My daughter is a Guilford grad and we were very happy with the school. Now the school can't even get full accreditation from the state due to the catchment area having multiple flophouses filled with illegal aliens. Their kids come to school not knowing a word of English and the Spanish they do know is atrocious. It breaks my heart to see what has become of the catchment area and now the school.

Posted August 27, 2011
My child absolutely loves Guilford and so do I! Everyone is 110% dedicated to the students. I always feel welcome.

Posted April 29, 2011
I really have enjoyed my 3 children attending this school for the last 2 years. The administration is very proactive about making sure parents are involved and the children's needs are supported. They have after school clubs for 4th & 5th graders, community outreach events like Thanksgiving dinner and other ways in which I have vbeen invited to interact with the staff and community. The children are diverse but my kids have not had problems with other children and have made a lot of friends. The teachers they have had have all really cared about my children's well being and education. They even order all the school supplies for each child for only $10 each year! My children have also attended 2 fairfax county schools and Guilford has been my favorite!

Guilford Elementary School 0

Posted December 18, 2008
The student to teacher ratio is good, without the pressure of new students from new housing like in Ashburn and other growing cities. My kids teachers are great and the curriculum is the same that you'll find in Ashburn or any other school in Loudoun. They handled bullying issues with grace and now the bully is my son's friend. The principal listened to my concerns and made sure the transition into this school was smooth for my kids. It's a great neighborhood school, you won't find better in another city in Loudoun county. My kids have gone to schools in Asia, Europe and stateside. Guilford isn't the best in the world but it certainly has it's positive qualities. We're happy to send out last two children to this school. My first grade daughter is reading, adding and subtracting and having fun in first grade. They'll learn calculus soon enough.

Guilford Elementary School 2

Posted December 17, 2008
My daughter's teacher seems wonderful and caring of her students but I still can not recommend this school. I really feel that this school is moving at a slow pace and focusing on less important issues. My daughter is reading very well but in 1st grade her math assignment is count how many triangle there are. They have not begun adding or subtracting. She will constantly bring home paper stamped 'amazing' but the work is half done and incorrect. We have ended up spending several hours a week having her redo all of her school work and explaining the material. We have had a real problem with the transportation from the school. They claim that the half mile from our house to the school is walkable even though part of that walk is through the wood over a graffiti covered bridge. Not safe. If moving here look at Ashburn, Leesburg, Bristow.

Posted August 25, 2007

Guilford Elementary School 3

Posted March 13, 2004
We moved from this area about 3 years ago. I was very disappointed in the school. Here are some of my reasons. One, it seem as if a lot of teachers were leaving. Two, I didn't like the fact that there were no adults outside the school when I would drop off my children (very unsafe). The year we moved there I felt the school was going down hill fast. In fact that year my children didn't even know who their teachers were going to be until the first day of school. May have changed now I hope.

Guilford Elementary School 4

Posted September 05, 2003
One of my children have graduated from Guilford ES and one is currently starting fourth grade. Next year I will have my third child start kindergarten. I believe the longevity of the teachers is a definite plus. My oldest 5th grade teacher is still teaching at Guilford (he is now 23). There are a few others still teaching at Guilford. They have wonderful activities for the students, parents and teachers to be involved. I believe Guilford has some great, very committed teachers who get the kids excited about learning. An energetic new young assistant principal came on board last year. The school benefits from lots of parent involvement as well as strong support from the local community.

Guilford Elementary School
600 W Poplar Rd, Sterling, VA  20164
Last modified Guilford Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Guilford Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 8 reviews. Top