Sterling, VA

Posted March 28, 2015
Sterling Elementary School is one of the best schools in the area my son Abraham has been there for 2 years and he is nothing else but very happy with his teacher Mrs. West and all the other staff and friends, I cannot believe how he improved in his reading, math and science coming from a house that only speaks arabic I am very pleased with Sterling Elementary and the Principal Jennifer Scott she has improved this school and improved the learning for all the children, I will definetly recommend Sterling Elementary and I hope my review is helpful

Posted August 23, 2014
I've had experience with SES for 5 years now. There has been a change of administration and our experience with both administrators has been un-gratifying. When our son was bullied, the first principle asked for us to remain 'positive' about the incidents. When there was a change in the administrators, the new principle needed a little arm twisting to act on an incident with a report to the superintendent of a child who became physical and aggressive towards our son . If you have a child with special needs you will receive very little support and understanding from the administrators and some teachers. There are very caring teachers who went above and beyond for our children. Our hopes for our community is that SES brings more resources to their special education and teaches a overall tolerance by educating staff and children at the school. We live in a diverse world and it would be beneficial to teach the children this early on . I have been an active member of the school and have donated my time and money to help this school become better, so I believe we are all responsible for the success of the school.

Sterling Elementary School 4

Posted August 13, 2014
We are gearing up for a great year at Sterling Elementary and are looking forward to welcoming back our wonderful students and families. One star left for what we will work to achieve this school year! As a teacher I feel fortunate to have the professional experience and dedication of our administration and teacher community to help our students succeed.

Sterling Elementary School 1

Posted June 29, 2014
The teachers get 5 stars, as they have to deal with an inept principal and admin.........can the principal get a negative star ?....very rude person

Posted June 25, 2014
We have been very happy with Sterling Elem. The teachers and staff work very hard to make it the best school it can be. I feel like my child is getting a good education And looks forward to each day there.

Posted June 20, 2014
I have been very happy with Sterling Elementary and have a rising 4th and 1st grader, who both are achieving high academic success. There are many wonderful teachers at Sterling. I do notice some recent negative comments from staff about the Principal, who was new this past school year. I think change with the administration can be hard, especially when the previous principal was loved by all. Hopefully, these issues can be worked out and improved for next year. As a parent, I did not notice any change, and was equally happy with this school year as compared to past school years. However, if teachers are unhappy, I think it's very important for them to be heard and hope that will be the case.

Sterling Elementary School 1

Posted June 18, 2014
If you're a teacher looking for a job, avoid Sterling Elementary. There is a reason that there are so many openings. The administrator uses an intimidating style of leadership to RULE the school. This school used to be an amazing community of caring teachers and staff. In one year everything good about Sterling Elementary has been replaced with test scores and data. You'd be wise to look elsewhere. LCPS has plenty of other great schools to apply to.

Posted June 18, 2014
The exodus has begun. Three staff members contracts are not being renewed by the principal. Several teachers have already secured transfers within the district. A half dozen or more teachers have applied for other positions or are seriously looking to leave. Even our vice principal is leaving. Who will be left? This has been a very upsetting year for the Sterling Staff. If you weren t a target, you know someone who was, and the empathy you feel for them is quite unsettling. Back in January we filled out a Staff Survey to express our concerns in the only way we felt safe. This survey was never shared with us. Even the VP never saw it. Apparently even the administrative supervisor didn t find anything wrong with what we had to report, or I would have expected things to change. They didn t. We have all tried to hold it together for our students, but I assure you, it hasn t been easy. It is a daily trial to work in an atmosphere where respect is lacking, and it is understandable that we all seek to work in an environment where respect for one another is a given. Sterling will be losing many wonderful staff members who have given their heart and soul to this school over the years.

Posted April 08, 2014
Sterling Elementary School certainly is no longer an environment where everyone is welcomed. An inexperienced principal has set a confrontational tone which resonates throughout the school. Otherwise...5 stars

Posted April 07, 2014
Sterling Elementary School fosters an environment where everyone is not only welcome, but encouraged to be herself/himself. There is a definite devotion to the children from the Principal down to the Custodial Staff. I have 3 children here and while we would like to move for other reasons, Sterling Elementary is what is making this decision difficult. The staff does everything possible to be available for extra help on the academic as well as social side of things. With a new PTA president and new Principal, there were some changes but change isn't bad. If someone expects you to give more so you are a better teacher or student, shouldn't she be commended, not criticized. People should not be so quick to judge...the Principal invites the students in to have lunch with her almost daily.

Sterling Elementary School
200 West Church Rd, Sterling, VA  20164
Last modified Sterling Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sterling Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top