Elephant's Fork Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 580 students

Posted October 10, 2013

The staff and faculty of the school are great. Parent involvement is lacking, but it may be due to the blend of neighborhoods the children come from.

Posted March 13, 2013

My oldest child has been in this school since Kindergarten. My youngest since Pre-K. Now in 3rd grade and 1st grade. I am having issues with my children getting bullied and assaulted by other students. I wasn't even called when these events happened. I found out when picking my children up. My youngest has been slammed against a cement wall by a student who was a grade above. My oldest was punched by a child from another class but same grade. My son was punched and pushed into a trash can and onto the floor by another student. I was told nothing could be done because we didn't have a child's name or the teacher he told name. So I had to go over the principle's head. Now my son doesn't feel safe in this school and it doesn't seem like anyone cares or not if he is safe. I hear teachers always complaining about children.Well if you can't stand them and don't know how to deal with them, then find another career.My children's drinks and snacks get stolen. I've said something to the teachers, principle, assistant principle.Nothing was done.Oh and another encounter I had was. Someone was using my youngest child's number for breakfast and lunch. They don't check the name with the number.

Posted March 4, 2013

I agree with other comments....principle is wonderful....school is clean and friendly. Parents seemed very involved. Happy with this school so far.

Posted March 2, 2013

Very pleased with EFE this year! My child loves school and the teachers. She looks foward to library, art and music but her favorite has been P.E. We have enjoyed coming to her honor roll award ceremonies and participating in all the class room events. These days, it's hard for any public school to really get the funding necessary to do everything the staff and teachers want to do for our kids. I am happy to say this school really makes the effort.

Posted February 27, 2013

AWESOME PRINCIPLE! Makes a world of difference! Friendly staff. They know me and my child by name. My child looks forward to school days now. This school is on the up and up.

Posted February 12, 2013

After buying a house and moving to Suffolk, everything seemed great, until school started and I had to take my son out of the bus because he was bullied every day. The Bus driver, did not care, school staff did not do anything. Last week while having lunch with my son I just could not believe the way kids are being treated. They are being yelled at lunch time just because they talk. It felt like being in prison. Just because most of the students are from downtown Suffolk, and because the parents might not care, does not mean kids from good neighborhoods have to be treated like this.

Posted May 27, 2012

This school is failing and the staff is only half the reson. The kids are from down town suffolk and don't have parents that care.The staff has been taught that yelling and punishment is the best way to get the studnets to respond. The VP and other admin staff is just below average. Vilonce starts in pre-k and they have zero accomidations for gifted children. They folded in Mount Zion into this school in order to save the test scores and get it off the failing school list. Unfortunately the teachers cannot teach both inter-city at risk kids and highly performing kids in the same class. If you have an above average kid, this school is not for you.

Posted April 29, 2012

My child is always having her stuff stolen out of her desk, even the teacher has to lock her stuff up!

Posted August 8, 2010

This is a great school with wonderful staff! My daughter has been here for two years and is going into the third grade, she knows all of the office staff, the principal and most of the teachers. This is a "community" school where everyone is involved in making sure the students succeed! They have plenty of extra activity's that the students can participate in, talent shows, movie nights and my daughter comes home from school every day with fresh fruit for an after-school snack! I love it!

Posted February 19, 2009

This is an outstanding school! Many of the reviews below are old and represent a different principal than the one we have now. My daughter has been at the school for 4 years and my son is in the middle of his first. Mrs. Gatling who is the new principal that took over last year is fantastic. The morale of the staff and administration is so uplifting. When you walk in you feel welcomed and everyone is glade to be there. I highly recommend this school and commend Mrs. Gatling for turning around a sinking ship and bringing it back to life.

Posted August 26, 2008

I was very pleased with Elephants Fork Elementary and their staff. The principal was excellent every time I needed to speak to her. My son's kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Blei, was a wonderful teacher. The only problem I had was at the begining when the kids were being dropped off by the buses. I was out there everyday just watching to make sure that my son knew where to go. It appeared unorganized and I voiced my opinion and suggestion to the vice principal. The following day my suggestion was implented and it worked out better. They are always open to suggestion and react accordingly. If anyone is lucky enough to get Mrs. Blei as their childs teacher-you will be blessed. I love elephants fork and wish my kids could stay there but have been redesignated to Hillpoint.

Posted March 7, 2007

I am happy with the teachers that my children have, and those that I've met, but I dislike the Principal. The VP is a wonderful man who I trust completely.

Posted October 25, 2005

I am extremely satisfied with Elephant Fork Elementary school. Maybe I've been luck over the past three years, but I have had nothing but positive things happen for my son since attending EFES. He has been on the Honor roll every grading period since kindergarden and is now in the 2nd grad. His teachers have constantly kept in contact with me calling me at home with not only negative activities but possitive things that happen in my childs day. I would recommend this school to anyone wanting their child to be nurtured in a caring enviroment. Education is not only what the teachers can give your child, but what you as a parent alone with your child put into it.

Posted August 8, 2005

This is the worst school my children have attended. The bulling is overwhelming. My daughter's class was out of control. The principle refused to deal with the bulling unless the child confessed to doing the bulling. The parent involvement is high but only to ensure the safety of the children. This experience has taught me that I need to check out the schools before I move into the area. Location, Location, location!

Posted April 14, 2005

I was not an educated homebuyer until I learned the valuable leason of location,location,location. This school is a homeowner's/tax payers worst nightmare. My child failed fourth grade due to the schools poor quality issues. The sad part is that, she was only enrolled for her last semester when her grades suddenly plumeted. Despite my countless efforts to assist the staff,requesting accomedations, support ect....my child and I was given the run-a-round. My request to tranfer to a more suitable school was approved and my childs second year as a fourth grader was more than a bitter sweet success, She made the honor-roll.

Posted March 22, 2005

We have been extrememly dissapointed with the education our children receive at Elephant's Fork Elementary. We have found the staff non-responsive for the needs of our children despite thier continued lip service to 'No Child Left Behind Act'. We have chosen to move our family rather than fight year after year for alternate zone placement of our children to avoid this public school. The staff for Suffolk Public School System seems to be responsive but the flow of resolution on many items has wasted a year of both our children's lives. The staff solution at EFES is merely the answer 'They are young, they can repeat it next year.' This school had trouble meeting accredidation, it has been suggested to me that they are trying to eliminate the problem children by pushing them out of the zone rather than assist the children in achieving acedemic success.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 72% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 87% in 2012.

87 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 84% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests to assess students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, writing in grades 5 and 8, and science in grades in 3, 5 and 8. The SOL tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 70% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 84% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 73% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 71% in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 89% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

All Students58%

Students with disabilities67%
Students without disabilities92%
Proficient in English89%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. Data is not reported when there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school.

All Students45%

Not economically disadvantaged91%
Students without disabilities66%
Proficient in English64%

Source: Virginia Department of Education

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2316 William Reid Dr