No rating

Nansemond-Suffolk Academy

Private | PK-12 | 797 students

Living in Suffolk

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $180,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $830.

Posted September 30, 2014

Honor above all is Nansemond-Suffolk Academy's motto and it is an ideal in which my family believes. The faculty and staff are committed to providing an excellent, well rounded college preparatory education for our children. My husband and I are proud our children are members of the Saints family and consider sending our children to NSA an extremely worthy investment.

Posted September 29, 2014

I have never felt more welcomed to a school in my entire life. Every single school has its flaws and it is always hard to remember when reading reviews that most everyone who is writing a review has had a poor experience. I hope my review helps those that are looking into private schools in the area. I truly believe that NSA is a top school with amazing teachers and strives everyday to bring in new educational experiences to their students. They partner with many outside vendors and colleges to broaden the scope of how child learn in todays society. The school allows the faculty to step outside of the box with how they teach. Where else can you go and use professional engineering software to create 3D models of fish in a science class, and then print it off on a 3D printer? NSA's middle schoolers can say they have. If you are looking for an intellectual and stimulating learning experience, look no further.

Posted September 29, 2014

I am an alumna of the school, and more recently, I am a new NSA parent. I was so pleased to come back to the place that had such a positive impact on my education and childhood to find that NSA is still such a community-oriented, education-centered, family. While this aspect has remained the same since my time at NSA, everything else has greatly changed! The campus has expanded to include a middle school building, there are extra practice fields on the back 40 acres of the campus, and a new media center, just to name a few. In addition, students are doing great things in the classrooms - 3D printing/program design in the middle school, one-on-one iPad work in the Pre-K, and even an economics class in the Upper School, whose year end project centers around the popular "Shark Tank" show. I had a chance to sit in on this class and was amazed at what the students could invent as well as support with real life analysis techniques used in the business world. It's amazing to see what students can do who are charged by their teachers to strive for excellence! I'm so glad to have my children here and can't wait to see what NSA offers in the future!!

Posted September 29, 2014

Nansemond Suffolk Academy is one of the best Independent schools in the area. They have a mission statement that reads, "Honor above all." I firmly believe that they strive to achieve this. It is a well balanced school with Academics geared toward college preparation. They offer a wide variety of sports and some are offered even at the JJV level. I also am very impressed with the arts and marching band. Not many schools of this size offer so much and do it so well for the price. I have 2 children in upper school that have been attending since the 7th and 8th grade. They have been greatly supported and guided by the teachers and administrative staff. They also have a very strong Alumni base and almost all of the students, faculty, and board give to the Annual Fund. That says that they believe in their own school! I am very pleased.

Posted April 30, 2014

My son is now a 10th grader and has attended NSA since kindergarten. I started to regret my decision to send him to this school around 7th grade, but continued because my son didn't want to change schools. Students have left this school and gone to IB programs in the area because the education is better.The academics and teachers are marginal and the administration is totally clueless about the components of a quality education. The true test will come in 2 yrs when we apply to colleges. Hopefully he will be able to get into a school that will make up for all the money I have spent unnecessarily.

Posted January 6, 2014

Don't waste your time or money with this school. There are other area private schools that are much better. We found this out the hard way at the expense of our child...time wasted at NSA.

Posted December 22, 2013

NSA offers much more than a quality academic program. The experience at NSA is priceless. As a parent, I appreciate all that the school is and does each and every day. Highly recommended!

Posted November 21, 2013

After looking at several independent schools in the area, we decided to send our children to NSA. It was the best choice and investment we have ever made for our children. My children started at NSA in Pre-K and have loved every teacher they have had at NSA. Each teacher takes the time to get to know them as individuals and finds a way to challenge them each and every day. The opportunities for students are endless - even in the Lower School as they have many after school clubs, athletics and math/science initiatives. The school focuses on character education and giving back which I believe has has all helped to make my children more well-rounded. I couldn't be happier with our choice and NSA! I highly recommend this school over all others in Hampton Roads!

Posted November 21, 2013

It's nice to see that NSA strives to provide ABOVE and beyond what has come to be expected from others. Again, thanks to NSA Staff for showing in every way that all things matter!

Posted November 21, 2013

We chose NSA for our kindergartner because of the welcoming and enthusiastic environment. Everyone we have encountered here as visitors and now as a current family have always been always excited to see us and our child and so excited about the school, the students and their education. Teachers here are dedicated to developing well-rounded students and are involved in their development both as students and as people. The school seems committed to staying current and competitive in the education and tools used for instruction. Our child has had a very positive experience and is both challenged and supported in the classroom. Great spirit of family and community here.

Posted November 21, 2013

As the parents of four children who attend NSA, my husband and I could not be happier with the school, its dedicated faculty and staff and the lessons, both academic and in life, that they are being taught each and every day. Honestly, I feel grateful that they are Saints and I am committed to do whatever I can to keep them at NSA. Every morning I drop them off is one less day I worry about their education and their safety - it's like putting them in the care of family. Thank you NSA for providing excellence everyday!

Posted November 21, 2013

My children have attended NSA starting in pre-school and we've now been Saints for 12 years. It has always been a nurturing environment where my kids have learned and thrived. As far as cost- when compared to other comparable private schools in the area, it is quite a bit lower and for the class size is a great deal. What I love about it is the sense of community. There are lots of opportunities for parental involvement- but it's not required or forced on you. The school has had a big technology push over the past three years and is keeping up with this fast paced world we live in. NSA is also fortunate to have a new headmaster, Debbie Russell, who's children attended NSA before she started working there- so she truly understands things from a parent's perspective. We have been fortunate to have wonderful donors who allow the school to continue to grow and get better. The future is bright for NSA and I'm thankful for my children's experiences there.

Posted October 26, 2013

We watched the school deteriorate in every way for the 10 years between our eldest and youngest. We finally made the choice to move our youngest to another private school. We are extremely happy with our new choice and wish we had made the move earlier.

Posted December 2, 2011

I was perhaps the poorest kid that ever attended Nansemond-Suffolk Academy. I was worried about not fitting in but my parents were determined to send me because the school was college preparatory and it had a good reputation. I should not have wasted my time worrying. I enjoyed every single minute at this school. The students could have cared less about the clothes I wore or the car I drove. They were sweet and caring and I still count many of them among my close friends today. I took demanding courses at Nansemond-Suffolk and entered college with credits due to my scores on the AP tests. Because NSA is a small school, everyone has the opportunity to be involved in extra-curricular activities. I played on several teams and was very involved with the class activities such as the prom committee. NSA provided us with so many opportunities to be part of something and to have fun. Although I was in the minority at NSA, I loved going to this school and it is great to see NSA still going strong.

Posted April 19, 2011

My children went to NSA for 13 years and it has really gone downhill over the years; so much so that we left the school to attend another private school in the Hampton Roads Area. The move was the best thing we have ever done for our children. NSA has become very negative over the years. They have several very negative teachers, many of their graduates go to community college ever though they pride themselves in being college prep school. There have been many drug problems and bomb threats. There have been several thefts and vandalism of property over the years, even though they claim that there is no need for locks on the lockers. My children are in such a better place now; positive and nurturing bringing out the best in each child, very positive and academically challenging at our new school. We regret that we stayed at NSA too long and when our children could have been thriving more at other area private schools. It's very sad that NSA has deteriorated so much over the years. So many children/families have left to attend other private schools in the area.

Posted June 21, 2010

Our star, Prem Patel has discovered his love of learning at NSA. He moved from Pennsylvania, where he wasn't making the best choices and completely changed his ways at this school. He has met many inspirational teachers, coaches, and friends at NSA and possible the love of his life. The track team has turned him into an elite, strapping, young man. GO SAINTS!

Posted April 22, 2010

Great teachers who deserve six stars; however, the school has gotten very elite and snobby as the price has climbed. Many of my kids friends have left, and all too many of the kids that have remained have an attitude of entitlement that has really changed the character of the school. Sad, sad, sad.

Posted October 7, 2009

My daughter has attended NSA beginning with Early School 3 and is currently in Kindergarten. What a wonderful school. She is academically challenged and has school spirit that is truly mind blowing. I know many families who have children at all levels in the school. They love the academics, extra-curricular activities, caring faculty and staff, as well as the stellar reputation. Even though it costs more than some other local schools, I believe that I am getting what I pay for. Go Saints!

Posted March 18, 2009

Our son has discovered a love of learning at NSA. It is a safe and nurturing environment. He is fortunate to have kindergarden teachers with years of experience under their belts. School can be both fun and educational. So far it's be a very positive experience. It's pricey, maybe even overpriced, but it's a fantastic way to start out the elementary school experience. I rate it 4 out of 5 only because of the price.

Posted March 18, 2009

ACADEMICS At NSA, students can have as much academic attention as they want. This is a great strong point. If I am ever struggling, there is always a teacher willing to put in extra time to help me out, whether it be before school, break/lunch, or after school. However, approaching them and requesting the help is key if you are struggling but not failing. There are plenty of classes, and if a student would like to get into a class that they have been recommended for, there is usually no problem. Students previously from larger schools will appreciate this in particular. Teacher recommendations from NSA are above average, mainly because the teachers know the students so well. The small classes and dedicated staff are the reasons for this. As far as academics go, NSA is top-notch.
—Submitted by a student

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • NAIS

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

3373 Pruden Boulevard