PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times…” Who am I kidding? It was the WORST of times! We thought several years ago that NSA was the best place our child could be going to school. However, through the years we’ve come to realize that the school is marginal at best when it comes to the quality of teachers and education. If this wasn’t bad enough, there is a lot of favoritism in the school, particularly in favor of those families who consistently contribute money, in large sums that is, or have attended there for several generations. If you are not one of these parents and you complain, just be prepared to get some of the most ridiculous, unwritten justifications/“policies” you’ve ever heard. And, as far as discipline is concerned, it’s rarely handled at the time of occurrence, even when it’s fighting or bullying. Sometimes one might get a stern, grandmotherly scolding in soft tones, but most of the time the way they “solve” the problem is by not “inviting” the offending student(s) back to attend school the following year. This approach really teaches them a good life lesson doesn’t it? So, if you expect this to be a top-notch school with a certain level of sophistication and class where your beloved child or children will flourish and thrive, you’ll be sadly mistaken. Just remember, NSA is a school out in the country. You know, the same place where a local auto dealership proudly claims in their commercials to be the “Country Truck Store”. This “Country Truck Store” region of Hampton Roads is where most of their students reside. In other words, NSA is simply a place where country parents send their country kids to school so they don’t have to send them to public school. Or, it’s another place to send their child who’s been kicked out of public or other private schools. Do yourself and your child/children a favor and research the top private schools in Virginia to see where NSA ranks among others in the Hampton Roads area. As for us, we’ve had enough of NSA. Our child is extremely smart, straight A's, but has been dumbed down by being paired up with children who can't compete academically, just to raise them up. So, we're moving our child to what we’ve discovered to be a better private school in the area where there’s greater diversity, better academics, nicer kids and teachers, a more friendly environment, and an overall happier place for our child and our family as a whole. Signed - an Extremely Disappointed Father!

We have the children currently enrolled. Our oldest, a junior, has been a student since pre-k 4. Honestly can say there is no school we would rather send them to. Top notch education. Safe. Family atmosphere.

Nansemond-Suffolk Academy is truly dedicated to developing each student to be the best he or she can be. Through academics, athletics and arts, every single child has the ability to excel in their own individual way. Teachers care about the students and take the time to make sure each child is receiving the best education possible. From PreK-12 grade students are developed in a warm loving environment where they can feel free to explore new opportunities and be who they want to be. Each child has the opportunity to play a sport, participate in the school drama, try an elective course or volunteer for a club or organization - the possibilities are endless. I choose to send my child here because of the opportunities my child will be afforded in a safe, loving environment. We are proud to be NSA Saints!

Honor above all is Nansemond-Suffolk Academy's motto and it is an ideal in which my family believes. The faculty and staff are committed to providing an excellent, well rounded college preparatory education for our children. My husband and I are proud our children are members of the Saints family and consider sending our children to NSA an extremely worthy investment.

I have never felt more welcomed to a school in my entire life. Every single school has its flaws and it is always hard to remember when reading reviews that most everyone who is writing a review has had a poor experience. I hope my review helps those that are looking into private schools in the area. I truly believe that NSA is a top school with amazing teachers and strives everyday to bring in new educational experiences to their students. They partner with many outside vendors and colleges to broaden the scope of how child learn in todays society. The school allows the faculty to step outside of the box with how they teach. Where else can you go and use professional engineering software to create 3D models of fish in a science class, and then print it off on a 3D printer? NSA's middle schoolers can say they have. If you are looking for an intellectual and stimulating learning experience, look no further.

I am an alumna of the school, and more recently, I am a new NSA parent. I was so pleased to come back to the place that had such a positive impact on my education and childhood to find that NSA is still such a community-oriented, education-centered, family. While this aspect has remained the same since my time at NSA, everything else has greatly changed! The campus has expanded to include a middle school building, there are extra practice fields on the back 40 acres of the campus, and a new media center, just to name a few. In addition, students are doing great things in the classrooms - 3D printing/program design in the middle school, one-on-one iPad work in the Pre-K, and even an economics class in the Upper School, whose year end project centers around the popular "Shark Tank" show. I had a chance to sit in on this class and was amazed at what the students could invent as well as support with real life analysis techniques used in the business world. It's amazing to see what students can do who are charged by their teachers to strive for excellence! I'm so glad to have my children here and can't wait to see what NSA offers in the future!!

Nansemond Suffolk Academy is one of the best Independent schools in the area. They have a mission statement that reads, "Honor above all." I firmly believe that they strive to achieve this. It is a well balanced school with Academics geared toward college preparation. They offer a wide variety of sports and some are offered even at the JJV level. I also am very impressed with the arts and marching band. Not many schools of this size offer so much and do it so well for the price. I have 2 children in upper school that have been attending since the 7th and 8th grade. They have been greatly supported and guided by the teachers and administrative staff. They also have a very strong Alumni base and almost all of the students, faculty, and board give to the Annual Fund. That says that they believe in their own school! I am very pleased.

My son is now a 10th grader and has attended NSA since kindergarten. I started to regret my decision to send him to this school around 7th grade, but continued because my son didn't want to change schools. Students have left this school and gone to IB programs in the area because the education is better.The academics and teachers are marginal and the administration is totally clueless about the components of a quality education. The true test will come in 2 yrs when we apply to colleges. Hopefully he will be able to get into a school that will make up for all the money I have spent unnecessarily.

Don't waste your time or money with this school. There are other area private schools that are much better. We found this out the hard way at the expense of our child...time wasted at NSA.

NSA offers much more than a quality academic program. The experience at NSA is priceless. As a parent, I appreciate all that the school is and does each and every day. Highly recommended!

Last modified Nansemond-Suffolk Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-12