No rating

Suffolk Christian Academy

Private | K-12 | 170 students

Student diversity

Special education

The school has not provided this information yet.

Living in Suffolk

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $180,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $830.

Sweep tile

Posted Monday, April 21, 2014

Suffolk Christian Academy is a great school. This is my children's first year here. I have a 6th grader and a kindergarten. I am very pleased with the academics and even happier with the small teacher student ratio. Its nice that my 6th grader is not in a class of 32 students. My children are extremely happy. I feel very at home here. I would and have recommend Suffolk Christian academy.

Posted April 16, 2014

Suffolk Christian Academy is a fantastic Christian school with great academics and low student teacher ratios. My child has attended since Pre-k and is now in 4th grade. Since it's incorporation, and the new school board, the school has truly flourished! I would recommend it to anyone looking for an exceptional education for their children.

Posted April 11, 2014

My children have been enrolled in Suffolk Christian since age 4 I love the feeling knowing my children are well cared for and loved here It feels more like family The staff are very caring and loving I agree with the parent who said they love the return on their investment I agree, it is an investment and one you cannot afford NOT to do I am happy to say SCA is our "home"

Posted April 10, 2014

Great school with a family feel and a rigorous academic program. Strong values and learning through a biblical worldview, serve to strengthen the educational experience and enrich the child.

Posted April 9, 2014

My 7th grader has attended SCA since kindergarten. I'm satisfied because she has small class sizes, individual attention, & few distractions present in the Suffolk Public Schools where many classes K-5 remain at 30 + students (several websites report 19-1 student/teacher ratio but that's incorrect. I'm a teacher in the system & we were in the Virginia-Pilot newspaper a years ago when it was revealed 55 classes K-5 had hit the 30+ number of students. This remains the same today-it's just not being reported.) This means "assembly-line education"- a teacher simply can't keep up with demands & I'm not willing to sacrifice my child's future because the schools can't get it together. SCA has provided a caring environment; my daughter has had some wonderful teachers who go the extra mile. Also, she needed a faith-based education-another thing the public schools can't offer. I see everyday the result of students who haven't the advantage of faith in Christ & the disservice they unknowingly suffer at having nothing to hold onto when life gets tough. My daughter knows/loves Christ. They partner w/me to prepare her to be a loving, principled, educated adult.

Posted April 8, 2014

This small school is a true gem in the western Tidewater area. The education provided is rigorous, the teachers are dedicated and motivated, and the overall school environment is extremely positive. The Christian label is appropriate as faith in Jesus Christ is the foundation of the school s entire operation. As a parent of two students at this academy I am very pleased with the return on my expense.

Posted April 8, 2014

This school has been so supportive to my children. The staff and teachers are a blessing, so willing to help.

Posted April 8, 2014

Suffolk Christian Academy is a Christ centered school with awesome students and compassionate teachers. We are new to the school but have enjoyed being a part of it.

Posted April 8, 2014

Suffolk Christian Academy continues to grow academically and keeps their eyes on our Lord Jesus Christ. I especially like the student support classes which have helped my child tremendously!!

Posted November 27, 2013

Suffolk Christian Academy has been a wonderful option for our children. With all of the improvements and new staff, we are anticipating great things this year. Our children are enjoying themselves. They have wonderful teachers and friends who have made it home.

Posted October 27, 2013

First Baptist Christian School has made some exciting growth.The new name is SUFFOLK CHRISTIAN ACADEMY and serves K-12 grades. It is now incorporated having a school board to govern the school not a single church committee. It is also supported by four other churches in the community and are all actively involved. The new strength and stability will surely allow for continued growth for this school in the future. I am super pleased with the structure, challenging curriculum and godly environment that my child encounters daily.

Posted February 17, 2012

This school is ACSI and SACA-CASI accredited and is offering students an excellent education which can be verified by the fact that many of its graduates are earning 4.0's in college. They are adding AP classes each year giving top students a challenging experience. The student/teacher ratio is 7/1 which enables each one to ask questions and receive good answers. They are adding classes each year. At present they have a drama/music Fine Arts elective and the plan for next year is to add choral music and art. The students have opportunities for leadership on a number of different levels. Their Student Government Association is very active and the National Honor Society is very active in community service.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 23, 2011

This school is incredibly unorganized, it does not offer many classes at all, it is geared towards only the students that it likes, nothing with this school is ever certain, it is run by a church committee that rarely ever sees the school, and it has a terrible habit of credits not transferring to other schools and credits disappearing. I have not seen any redeeming qualities in this school whatsoever. I would advise anyone not to go to this school.

Posted August 31, 2011

I have been at this school for 13 years. I have seen God at work in the lives of teachers as well as students. There have been a lot of changes in the staff and administration. I believe each change has left the school in a better position. We now offer Advanced Placement classes and have reorganized to make this school not only a God centered place of education, but a top quality school that produces wonderful Christian students with a love for the Lord and the knowledge they need to enter any college that they may choose. I would not hesitate to recommend this school to anyone who is looking to have a Christ based, well rounded education.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 23, 2011

One wonderful year, two below average years out of three. Elementary school is good and teachers/principal are wonderful, but this school has no college placement, no guidance dept, which for the money is unacceptable. Poor fiscal oversight and management by church committee. High faculty turnover, lacking strong arts and music.

Posted November 17, 2010

My child has attended First Baptist Christian School for the last three years. We have been extremely pleased with the school.The teachers are kind and compassionate and demonstrate a true love for God and His word. The academics are very challenging and really prepare my child for the achievement tests that are given each spring. We love First Baptist and plan to be there through high school graduation!

Posted November 16, 2010

I enjoy FBCS more and more each day. The teachers love my children and want to see them grow more and more in understanding God each and every day. I encourage you to schedule a tour to see first hand the community atmosphere at FBCS.

Posted November 16, 2010

I am a parent of 3 children who attend this fantastic school! I love that my children are learning a Biblical Worldview. They are gaining the knowledge and wisdom of the Bible. They have access to Christ-like examples in their teachers and are being taught to live a life of passion for their Savior! My children are challenged academically and are excelling in their classes. I feel they are being prepared for college and a future of creative and critical thinking. FBCS offers a variety of sports programs, fine arts classes , academic programs, and student support needs. FBCS offers small student to teacher ratio and the tuition is VERY reasonable! The school is growing and has vision for the future. I would stronly recommend any parent to check out FBCS.

Posted February 27, 2010

The Dedication shown to teach Christianity to students is fantastic, but the education shown is below average
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 25, 2010

This is the most amazing school! Our son has learned so much and at such a faster rate than his public school peers. Even more importantly, he is also taught the importance of God in our lives, character, obedience and respect for others and for himself. We could not ask for better! Highly recommend First Baptist!!

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Gym
  • Kitchen

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
Associations
  • ACSI & SACS-CASI/AdvancEd & VCPE
Fax number
  • (757) 539-0272

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• None

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor