Vienna, VA

Posted November 29, 2014
We love this school. Moved here couple of years ago with kindergarten and 4th grade kids, all fits in right away. New Principle and almost all teachers are great, and strong parents involvement. None of them want to miss any day of school. Giving 4 stars to Teacher's quality is because very few unqualified

Posted June 17, 2014
Academics: I have had two children attend CRES. My oldest is a 7th grader at Kilmer. I felt that CRES gave him an excellent foundation for middle school... The academics are superb. The curriculum is organized and well thought out. They do a lot of great projects in classes that are fun and innovative. Parent Volunteers/PTO There is a lot of wonderful and organized parent participation. I volunteered for Colonial Day for my son and I was impressed by the organization and quality of this parent/faculty organized event. The have an excellent before and after school activities program which had a large offering of classes. Social Support The teachers/counselors and administration are very kind and caring toward students. Socially and academically my kids have benefited from this school...it is wonderful.

Posted April 26, 2014
hello, we are two students that go to Kilmer Middle school. We were apart of the class of 2013. This school was amazing while it lasted. We didn't know what we had till it ended :( The councilors, though annoying and a little bit boring at times, resolved the majority of all problems. This school was not effected by budget cuts because the PTO funded it. Most of the teachers were really nice and actually taught you the material. All teachers were willing to help you before and after school. k through 2nd grade we both went to private school, and found this school was really welcoming to us. A few tips to all students: WHEN YOU TAKE THE 3RD GRADE SOL, KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT THE AMERICAN INDIANS. Stay ahead in math, it will make middle school A LOT easier. Colvin Run also prepared you well for middle school. The band program kinda stuck. If you want to actually be good on your instrument get a private teacher. Everybody in our grade was friends or at least knew each other. We both really enjoyed our years at Colvin Run and miss getting 10 hours of sleep.

Posted October 28, 2012
Our experience has been that Colvin Run is an excellent school with a wonderful administration and very caring teachers. The principal has brought great programs to the school and the children (and parents) love him! The parents are highly involved with the school, making it an even more enriching environment for the children. We couldn't ask for a better school.

Colvin Run Elementary School 3

Posted August 13, 2012
I have two children in the school and we have experienced grades K to 3rd grade. The principal has brought some great programs into the school including violin for all 3rd graders, music for all 4th graders and Spanish - all with no county/state support. The parents and kids here are great. I haven't been pleased with the teachers though. For example, the way 3rd grade teachers drop all their teaching to focus on prepping for the SOLs but I think this is not a unique problem at this school. There is no focus on the individual child unless your child is struggling or has special needs, but again probably not unique to this public school. My 3rd grader was taught multiplication just long enough (for 2 weeks) to pass a test and then they never covered the topic again in class. The way teachers don't notice the needs of their kids is a bit disconcerting and the way teachers and the rest of the staff don't communicate is a problem too. I think a lot of problems at this school come from the State's focus on SOLs as well as other issues of teaching to the average kid or the AAP kids with little support for the above average kid who may have slightly different learning needs.

Posted April 30, 2012
We moved here two years ago and have two children at Colvin Run. I feel very lucky we chose to buy our house in Colvin Run's district. We were previously in another school that was also highly rated in another state but it doesn't come close to Colvin Run as to what actually happens in an average day. There are high expectations, the kids are challenged and they meet them - its amazing! I was a room mom my first year so I could meet people and found it incredible how many opportunities there were to volunteer. I know every one of my children's classmates by name as well as teachers and other specialists. They are all kind, open, approachable people. The kids themselves are great kids, it is such a happy place. There is a wonderful anti-bullying program in this school that fights it by encouraging every kid to be an advocate for their classmates. The whole school pulled together to dedicate a 5k fun run's proceeds to a terribly ill student's Dr. bills. And there are many other wonderful charitable activities. I credit all the opportunities to volunteer and be at the school as my window into my children's world.

Colvin Run Elementary School 4

Posted March 23, 2012
i am a student at colvin run and have been there for 4 years. with the exception of fourth grade, all my teachers have been really nice. the principal is very good but it's the vice-principal who rules the school behind the scenes. overall a good school.

Colvin Run Elementary School 3

Posted January 01, 2012
Definitely a school that has great potential but is split with some very awful teachers as well. My son encountered impatient, screaming teachers in 3rd grade, rude and belligerent teachers in 5th grade, and general lackluster teaching in 4th and 6th. Not so great teachers, but a great afterschool program at SACC.
2 people found this helpful

Posted April 11, 2011
I have three children and have been at Colvin Run as a parent since 2005. With the exception of one year, I have been thoroughly impressed with the quality of the teaching. The administration and PTO have worked together and brought language into the school when the school board could not produced the funding. It has a very strong sense of community. I can't thank the school and community enough for supporting our family during a difficult time. Truly an amazing place.

Posted April 10, 2011
We are a military family so our children have attended 3 different elementary schools in 4 years. I can say without a doubt that Colvin Run is the best school we've ever attended. The principal is very forward thinking. He brings many different innovative programs and opportunities for the children at the school. We love all of the teachers and staff, too. The parent involvement is very strong. We feel so lucky to be at such a great school!

Colvin Run Elementary School
1400 Trap Rd, Vienna, VA  22182
Last modified Colvin Run Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Colvin Run Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top