Vienna, VA

Flint Hill Elementary School 4

Posted September 02, 2013
Fantastic environment. We've moved many times and will call this our last move. My children just completed first and second grades at Flint Hill Elementary. The PTA is fantastic for newcomers. The teachers we've had are supportive and responsive. There is always something going on extra-curricular between International night, Bingo night, Movie nights, etc. Definitely a great school community. We are minority students and this was our best investment.

Flint Hill Elementary School 2

Posted July 05, 2013
We moved into our neighborhood because this school has a good reputation, but we have been very disappointed so far. Our first grader's writing is worse now than at the end of kindergarten. He didn't ever bring home any spelling words, any books to practice reading, or anything to indicate what he was doing in class. First graders have been left out on the playground without teachers realizing it, are not supervised enough for their age. There were large chunks of time spent on a computer program that "reads" to them in class. Dismissal for the entire school is disorderly. Art, music, PE, and Spanish have been good and are by far the best part of the school. We will give this school one more semester and if things don't improve we will be moving or finding a private school, both financial hardships, but worth it if if we can feel like our son is in a safe school where he is learning. Class sizes are really big at FHES, too, especially for kindergarten.

Flint Hill Elementary School 1

Posted February 06, 2013
This is the worst school that my children have ever attended, in terms of atmosphere and attitude toward the children. We have been exposed to numerous schools, as we are a military family. There is a feeling of oppression here; kids are definitely not allowed to be kids. If your child drops their silverware in the cafeteria, they will not be allowed to get up and get a clean one - the staff will let them go hungry instead. This happened to my friend's child. 3rd graders get 15 minutes of recess per day. My son's class not until the very end of the day. During this "free time", the kids are told that they have to run laps. The office staff is very rude - they do not even greet people who come in. The principal will not discuss any parental concerns; Parents feel that he does not care about the kids. My child was treated so badly by his 2nd grade teacher that he emerged from last year feeling that he is stupid and bad. Almost constant yelling at the kids, sarcasm, and even extremely loud whistle blowing. This actually happened when I was in the classroom. A lot of emotional damage was done to him which we are now struggling to repair. Would move my kids if I could.

Posted April 11, 2012
My children had the best experience at Flint Hill Elementary. Teachers from FCPS are clamoring to get into this school as the PTA is so supportive. We are a community of "movers and shakers" so the PTA knows how to make things happen. All the teachers are super professional. Now the school has full day kindergarten. The principal also persuaded the school board to have a full gifted center within the school.

Posted December 07, 2010
My son has been a student at this school for 4 years. The experience has been very positive. The teachers have been excellent and the level of parent involvement is almost intimidating. The principal is always willing to hear concerns from parents but will always do what is right even if it not what the parent wants. My son has excelled here and has learned so much more than friends and relatives in nearby private schools. We have not encountered bullying. On the contrary we have found the school has created a very nurturing environment.

Posted September 28, 2010
My kids visit Flint Hill since 3 years now and they love each and every day. They receive first class education. All teachers (advisories and classroom) consider the strengths of the individual and leverage those strengths. Engagement, motivation and fun is part of each and every day. The principal as well as the headmasters of the lower, middle and upper school are examples in character and earn the respect of the kids. I would recommend this school to parents who want their kids to be challenged in a kind and supportive way. I don't recommend this school for parents with kids who want their teachers to do their work. Finally: if I would have one recommendation for Flint Hill school. Take Spanish as a course serious and up-level the curriculum similar to all the other courses the school is offering.

Flint Hill Elementary School 2

Posted June 29, 2010
My kids are in this school since the last few years and if I could change things, I would have never put my kids in this school. There is too much bullying and the Principal and the Vice Principal are known for just ignoring it and brushing it aside. They pretend that it does not exist in their school. They have good scrores as they focus all their learning on test taking and not educating the kids. The office staff acts as though you are a total hindrance in their day. None of them will even smile and say hello to you. Some of the teachers are good, but that is overpowered by all the negative that are very much present in that school on a day or day basis. I ownt recommend this school to any parent.

Flint Hill Elementary School 3

Posted March 17, 2010

Flint Hill Elementary School 4

Posted September 21, 2009
Excellent school. Great teaching staff. Prinicpal is good, but doesn't cater to the parents, so it upsets those zealous parents who want to control what goes on. He's a principal for the teachers, which is why the test scores are so high. It's a high quality education and a pleasant, inviting school to attend for my children.

Flint Hill Elementary School 0

Posted June 29, 2009
In comparison with all the other elementary schools my 1st child had attended, Flint Hill Elementary has been a total satisfactory to us. My little one loves to go to her class each day and her learning has been fantastic. Caring teachers with a program tailored somewhat to each kid's capability and well mannered friendly classmates are what you can count on from this school. Unlike some other negative comments on the principal, we think the principal has done a very decent job within his limit. The only thing on our wish list is that the principal would help to convince the Fairfax County to augment the SACC program on this site so my daughter can get in.

Flint Hill Elementary School
2444 Flint Hill Rd, Vienna, VA  22181
Last modified Flint Hill Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Flint Hill Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top