Vinton, VA

W.E. Cundiff Elementary School 2

Posted April 16, 2015
My son with Autism attended preschool at Cundiff, and while the experience wasn't awful, it wasn't good either. Teacher, administrator, and speech therapist were very warm and inviting as long as I completely agreed with them; but as soon as I had an opinion about how to help my son I was shut down. My son didn't create any problems in the classroom; and I kept hearing he was doing "great" even though nothing was improving. Years later I found out that the very services I was requesting (and that had a proven track record for improving my son's speech and social skills) were available and could have easily been provided to him through Roanoke County Public Schools, despite me being told by the VP that there was no way he could get those services and the teacher all but refusing to even attempt some of the techniques that were working at home. Very disappointed.

W.E. Cundiff Elementary School 3

Posted March 19, 2014
Ok but I would like to be in a more closed in room..I can think without seeing other students.

W.E. Cundiff Elementary School 1

Posted March 18, 2014
TERRIBLE!!! Would have given this school zero stars if that was an option. Teachers look and act completely miserable. Principal and VP are completely clueless and have no idea how to safely and effectively run the place. Principal has no idea how to adequately handle issues with her staff -- she over promises and under delivers. Office staff is incompetent and rude to parents and children. On several different occasions I observed teachers and staff being extremely rude to small children (early elementary level). God help you if you have to deal with the attendance lady. Open classroom arrangement was chaotic and not sure how any of the children can focus with the distractions. Withdrawing our child from this school was one of the BEST decision we ever made.

W.E. Cundiff Elementary School 5

Posted February 23, 2012
My family was residing in the Herman L. Horn school district and after many bad experiences with my stepdaughter attending the school, we moved to the W.E. Cundiff school district before my daughter started Kindergarten. I have to say that I am so very pleased with W.E. Cundiff. The staff is so very friendly, very organized and the communication between staff and parents is phenomenal. I have always been greeted warmly whenever entering the school, and the opportunities to become involved in the school and my daughter's education is unlimited. My daughter had an issue with a child bullying her at the beginning of the school year. I made an appointment to talk with her teacher and the problem was handled quickly and efficiently. I would highly recommend the school to anyone!

W.E. Cundiff Elementary School 2

Posted June 10, 2011
My son used to attend this school. He also had a mild case of ADHD. He always had a problem because of his impulsiveness, esp. in the 4th grade. In spite of trying to communicate and being involved, my son was constantly punished without my knowledge. I only found out when I would show up unannounced, and lo and behold, he would be sitting in silent lunch or be excluded from class activities. I did like the Asst. Principal, but I guess she had too much going on to be personally involved with my son. I had him evaluated for an IEP, and they acknowledged he had ADHD, but said since it didn't affect his grades, he was uneligible for special services, yet his 4th grade teacher continued to punish him. Absolutely no support for my poor son, who has since moved to a different school and is the brightest kid in his class, and made A/B honor roll all year.

W.E. Cundiff Elementary School 4

Posted October 15, 2010
I have a son that also has ADHD and a develpmental delay and he has had problems since preschool with running out of the classroom if he gets upset and he is just not very easy to deal with, and I have to say that the Principal who is great and the Assistant Principal who is also great, have helped my son and been very patient and understanding with our whole situation. If the parents are involved with the school and staff and there is teamwork and communcation, it makes all the difference, it is suprising how willing they are to help. My son has an IEP and so we do communicate when necessary and we do still have problems with him but they continue to try to help in any way possible! The open classroom thing is a concern but somehow they make it work!

W.E. Cundiff Elementary School

Posted May 06, 2010
I also have mixed reviews of this school. I have been happy with the teachers (for the most part). I have some concerns with the amount of homework that my early elementary age children have. Each night we are looking at a minimum of an hour per child per homework... this seems especially odd since I have a middle schooler that rarely has homework. According to his teachers, homework is not common. Also, as for the district as a whole, the amount of paper sent home is excessive. Back to school forms for 3 children in the same school is enough in its own... but add to it the same information that is required multiple times on multiple papers... Add to that the classwork papers sent home, homework required, teachers notes and school memos (three of the same things everyday!). The ironic thing is they

W.E. Cundiff Elementary School 5

Posted January 25, 2008
We recently moved, and my son had to switch from Herman L Horn to WE Cundiff. At first, we were worried because WE Cundiff has open classrooms. But his teacher, Mr Richardson, took Jared under his wing and has worked with him to make sure he is getting everything he needs. He contacts us on a regular basis, and send daily progress reports. Not every teacher would be willing to do this. In my eyes, his extra efforts help make this school one of the best in our area.

W.E. Cundiff Elementary School
1200 Hardy Rd, Vinton, VA  24179
Last modified W.E. Cundiff Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
W.E. Cundiff Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 8 reviews. Top