Larkspur Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1564 students

Posted March 14, 2008

I love Larkspur Middle School. My Husband and I have a daughter who is in the 8th grade and our son who is in the 6th grade. They are both in Advance Placement courses which challenge them and give them opportunites for the future. I love the teachers at lkms. They are so supportive to the parent and student. Mrs. Morris the 8th grade principle is the Best. She has is so remarkable with the students. She keeps control with firmness but is fair at the same time. We are lucky to have her watching over our students. Everyone is wonderful at the school. Parents don't feel worried about your child attending there because, they will have a great learning experience there. I know we have and look forward to a bright future.

Posted February 18, 2008

We are very pleased with this school. Our son feels comfortable and independent there. He is in 6th grade and we first worried about the transition from elementary to middle, since he was coming from another city, but he has adjusted very well. This school offers advanced science, math and english courses for him, where he feels very challenged but not overwhelmed. Additionally, the 6th, 7th and 8th grade students do not intermingle throughout the day, which we believe eases the transition to middle school. Each grade level is in its own wing, basically it's like 3 schools in one.

Posted January 13, 2008

I Love LKMS its da best school in the world. Go Lion!

Posted November 28, 2007

My daughter was making D's until she came to Larkspur. Now she has been on the Honor Roll for the last year. She raves about her teachers, and her entire attitude has changed. She is encouraged, and this makes her want to do well. 100% turnaround from the last school she attended.

Posted October 2, 2007

Larkspur is a very educated school I love it their everything is just rght the people are nice (if you choose the right friend0 the teachers actually help you instead of telling you your wrong and thing like that I love it

Posted June 27, 2007

I would like to commend Dr Cunningham for her efforts, leadership, and hard work with educating our children. It's not an easy job to get up everyday, come to school and deal with someone else's child. Over the past 3 yrs, I have seen Larkspur evolve into one of the leading middle schools in the area. There has been various programs as stated previously that have been influential and successful in the development of our children. I ask that parents also be mindful that it's not just the teachers responsilbility to educate our children, it's also ours. My daughter has flourished at Larkspur entering into the 8th grade next year. I have enjoyed working with the Principal, teachers, and staff. My daughter is not perfect, no child is. As parents we need to be more proactive in everything that involves our children, especially education. Less timeon the telephone and watching television.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 14, 2007

Larkspur is not about the individual child. They can gt lost in the system really quickly if the parent is not paying attention. Our child went from Honor Roll in 5th grade to struggling all year in 6th grade. When did we find out there were issues way to late to make a difference. If I could take my child to a smaller, more personable school I most definitely would!

Posted February 13, 2007

I do not like Larkspur Middle School. There are a lot of fights and the administrators do a horrible job at discipline. The teachers think that they a perfect and that everything we do wrong is all our fault and that we are lazy. Some of the teachers are good though. I am in 8th grade and just finished tech ed with Mr. Pugh. He is great. Overall this school is not the worst but could be a lot better. I hope that Kempsville High is better.

Posted September 19, 2006

Excellent school. The before/after school tutoring program for the students who need it is an obvious showing of the teachers & schools committment to providing a good program. The school is enormous for a Middle School and has over 1900 students. Each grade has their own 'wing' and is divided into teams. The grade separation and 'teams' help to relieve the feeling of being a number in a large crowd. Most of the teachers make a great effort to get to know their students and set a good example by their appearance and behavior.

Posted August 20, 2006

I personally like Larkspur Middle School. My twin sister and I actually enjoy coming to Larkspur every morning.It was a fun, and an exciting 1st year of middle school. Now we can't wait to go to back there for 7th grade in less than 1 month.

Posted August 4, 2006

I personally like Larkspur Middle School . I will be an eighth grader in the school as of next year, & the school is safe . There are fights but there are officers & teachers in every hallway so when fights break out, they are stopped immediately . I also love the art program . Ms Burton is very good at her job . I am taking keyboarding, art, advanced core classes, & full spanish 1 next year .

Posted June 30, 2006

Currently, I am an eighth grader at Larkspur Middle School. The school is ... Eh? Okay. The extracurricular activities are decent. Last year, in 6th grade I was in art, but since I was pushing to take a full year language I had to miss out on Art. The art program at this school is marvelous, especially if you get Mr. Obermeyer. There are an awful lot of fights at this school & most of the time I only feel 50% safe. The school isn't the best, a lot are better.

Posted August 5, 2005

I have heard a lot of bad thing about this school, but in the time I have had my daughter there, I was really impressed. The teachers have taken time and special care with my daughter. The guidence office is always helpful and concerned about her education and happiness at the school. I have nothing negative whatsoever to say about Larkspur. My daughter has blossomed there.

Posted March 29, 2005

Larkspur is a great school with a bad rap. My children both attended the school and learned great things inside the classroom as well as skills to use outside of school. The teachers my children had were good and I heard almost all grand things about them. I think Larkspur gets bad attention due to its proximity to a high school with a not so good reputation. One of my children went through advanced classes at Larkspur while my other child went through with their special education program. I have nothing but good things to say about the teachers and the counselors that I have dealt with.

Posted February 19, 2005

The counselling dept has far to go. If a parent does not push, then a child could be left behind in their efforts to move up into accelerated, academy, governor's magnet or any other honor classes. We know, it happened to us but we still succeeded. The other child has been ignored except with any infractions occur, those are magnified without the school investigating the full story. That also has happened to us, but we fought back by using logic and requesting how this child is different from other children. When this was confronted, we found the school could not find him guilty of being any different from other children who were not 'acting out'. I don't think the school system is for the individual child but the accreditation as a whole, to the point of ignoring problems which can be handled with understanding and fairness.

Posted January 27, 2005

I hated Larkspur.I went from honor roll in elementary school to failing middle school.They blame 'US' the students instead of their inability to teach.They do give you extra credit things to do so you can pass at the last minute. They can't fail us all, that would look bad on them; wouldn't it?If you have problems, they accuse you of being lazy, immature or adjusting to middle school.They say this even when you are an eigth grader.They can never take blame.Principal and assistant principals are cool.They have an awesome music department.There are alot of clicks at this school.Lots of fights too.SOME teachers cuss and act more like students then teachers, but they expect us students to respect them anyhow.I am thankful that my HS teachers behave like teachers should.They're helping me makeup for all my lost time at Larkspur.There are a few wonderful teachers there, and I do mean a few!

Posted September 30, 2004

This is our second year at this school the first year was little it getting use to the school is large but I notice adminstration to very polite a little more organized than I expected for such a large school the children seem to love and teachers are willing to work with you and your child as long as you commounicate with them the PTa I did have to call the president to get involed I was not too impressed with that As a parent I think Larkspur is a good school for our children however more parent need to continue to be involved if the want to see any changes.

Posted May 29, 2004

I moved to the state of Virginia in 6th grade, afraid of being bullied and not having any friends. Larkspur is a very welcoming enviroment where I feel safe and can make new friends every day. The principal, Mr. Brumfield, is excellent and I belive that he truly loves coming to work everyday and seeing the students. Also, upon entering Larkspur, my grades have improved. I am in the National Junior Honor Society! I have also been accepted into First Colonial - the law studies academy. I will miss Larkspur so much when I leave but I'll still have all that I've learned.

Posted May 7, 2004

This is a wonderful school. Yes it is big but it is a school were all the grades are in a different hall way so you dont have to worry about your child being bullied. For 6th graders, dont worry lockers are easy and your teachers will help you. Your gym and cafeteria are just down the hall. Changing classes are easier for you because the classes are right next to each otrher. All the teachers and this is a good school. I hope that everyone agrees with my comments!

Posted January 29, 2004

This school is the most unorganized of any in the city. There is confusion on a daily basis and no real direction. My child came from Arrowhead Elementary where there was a great reading program and great parent-teacher communication. The communication ended when he came to Larkspur. If the PTA wants a parent to get involved, how would you know--we are never notified of any meetings. On an early dismissal day, no one knows what they are doing and the children are in total confusion. It is a terrible waste. They need some lessons from the staff at Arrowhead. The library went from a wonderful thing at Arrowhead to an off limits room at Larkspur. Even former teachers have left due to the lack of leadership and total lack of organization there. Something needs to change now.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 74% in 2013.

544 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 86% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

420 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests to assess students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, writing in grades 5 and 8, and science in grades in 3, 5 and 8. The SOL tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 75% in 2013.

521 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 88% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

375 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 71% in 2013.

476 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 70% in 2013.

474 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 88% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

348 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

461 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students70%

Students without disabilities80%
Limited English proficient students75%
Proficient in English77%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. Data is not reported when there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school.

All Students72%

Students without disabilities71%
Limited English proficient students50%
Proficient in English68%

Source: Virginia Department of Education

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 76% in 2013.

258 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 76% in 2013.

127 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) End-of-Course tests to assess students in reading, writing, math, science and history/social science subjects at the end of each course, regardless of the student's grade level. The SOL End-of-Course tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. High school students must pass at least six SOL End-of-Course tests to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Algebra I

Students with disabilitiesn/a
Students without disabilities100%
Proficient in English100%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Teacher resources

PE instructor(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Nurse(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Gym

Gifted & talented

• Gifted specialist(s)
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Matthew Delaney
Fax number
  • (757) 474-8598

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Standards-based

• Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator

Dress Code
  • Dress code
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council

Apply now