Posted April 08, 2014
KLMS is an awesome school. The rumors of tons of homework in 6th grade are true. I'm hoping the rumor that homework decreases in 7th & 8th is equally true. My child came from ODC so we knew what to expect but it was still a bit of a transition. Your child must WANT to go to this school. My child has gotten straight A's the first 3 quarters of 6th grade because she wants it but she is stressed out a lot. KLMS definitely stretches her to her maximum potential. Orchestra alone is worth going to this school. Mr. Baird's orchestra program is incredible. My child is flourishing in his class. Even on days when we want to quit, we stay due to the outstanding orchestra program. The pre-algebra teacher is frustrating because she teaches by giving the kids worksheets to figure out instead of working the new concepts with them. The other core teachers are great. Latin teacher is great. Overall, great experience for gifted kids. It's nice that their classmates are all similarly gifted and friendships are easier in this environment for "smart" kids. Parental support is critical for success in 6th grade. I have seen huge strides in organization and work habits this year. Necessary to survive!

Posted October 28, 2013
My child is happy and finally starting to achieve to the best of their ability. What more can I ask? Having previously been to a school where we felt that our child was not having the chance to reach their full potential - it is reassuring to see them being stretched at KLMS. Whilst not achieving the highest scores in the Grade, I can see growth, both academically and in maturity, and my child is starting to grasp important life skills, such as being proactive, organized, hard working and working smartly. Yes, we have had complaints about the amount of work and grumblings about the odd teacher. However, we know that, as the parent of a new 'middle-schooler', we would see all of those points in any school (and to a point, see it as preparation for adult life). To us, the fact that our child has good friends, is happy, achieving better than ever before and has a positive, well-adjusted outlook, tells me that we have done the right thing. I highly commend this school to you.

Posted October 17, 2013
This school was amazing. All the teachers are awesome and everyone is friendly. This school is a calm and peaceful environment and would enter my kids in here any day.

Posted October 09, 2013
This is my son's last year at Kemps Landing. I couldn't be more impressed at the level of excellence the teachers here deliver. If you have a chance to send your child here, do not hesitate!

Kemps Landing Magnet 3

Posted December 15, 2012
There's really too much of everything at this school. They expect you to be gifted in everything. I'm not, I'm mostly gifted in the humanities, and the advanced math and science was really difficult for me. I have had 1/3 good math teachers while at Kemps Landing, and when your math teacher is bad and you are bad at math- life is hard. Expect 3 hours of homework and up to 3 tests a week Students are taking an extra class for a language. I then dropped PE to take another additional class, and it's crazy. I love the class, but it's really super hard to keep up. My self esteem is really low because I haven't had a chance to shine or excel in anything for 3 years. If you are good at math and science, you would like it because the humanities teachers know that most gifted students have a hard time with them. The students are great, and I've made lifelong friends, but the pressure is overwhelming. I think some people can do this, but not most. I'm a perfectionist, so it's hard for me to go here and not be able to always get 100%. I do well, but it's tough. Be ready.

Posted September 12, 2012
KLMS was an amazing experience for me. I feel it has truly prepared me for High School. As far as classes and teachers go, it really depends on who you get. Most teachers really want to help the student succeed and some seem like they want to just go through the required information as fast as possible. But these are few and far between. As a previous review stated, the child going really should want to be there. This will not only make doing the work easier but the social experince as well. The great thing about KLMS is that, if you so choose, when you apply for High School Academies, many of the friends you made at KLMS will probably be going there as well.

Posted February 01, 2012
I wanted to add a couple of things to my previous review. If a student comes here straight from their neighborhood elementary school they will probably find it more stressful than if they came up through ODC simply because they are used to being challenged and don't know anything different. Also, I think it is important that the child want to go there. Kids that are forced to attend sometimes don't apply themselves to the extent needed to succeed. Finally, as several others have mentioned, there are virtually NO fights, cliques, etc and this type of environment gives these kinds of kids, who might otherwise struggle socially in a regular middle school, a chance to shine without the social pressure.

Posted July 26, 2011
I would like to put the rumor of too much homework to rest. I never had a problem with the amount. If you just hop off the internet for 30-60 min, then you can definitely get the normal load done. The only exceptions are projects, reading novels, and if you continue Latin as a language. I've never stayed up past 11pm doing homework and that only happened twice. Next the classes. Classes are not college level at all. Most are high school level. My high school classes now require more attention then any of my past KLMS classes. Do the work and things go smoothly. BUT there are times where you really feel like high school that require prioritizing anytime management, but even those are not too hard. Plus they are a great stepping stone to high school. The teachers are great and give a very hands on approach and will give individual help. They care greatly and there is even a time set aside for a more personal experience if needed or a small "break" but I use that term loosely. To some this up, the homework comes in little to medium amounts that are very manageable. The classes are high school level yet they are taught with middle school kids in mind.

Posted June 15, 2011
As a VERY recent graduate of Kemps Landing, I would have to say that this school is bittersweet. Sure, some of the posts about too much homework are correct, but this homework will prepare me for high school which is coming up in a couple of months. Us at KLMS, we like to think of ourselves as one big family. I honestly do not believe that there is another public school in the city that can say that about themselves. The teachers are get to know us well and they teach us very well. Although my positive rant of KLMS seems like Kemps is sunshine and rainbows, the teachers can seem to forget that we are teenagers who have social lives and only 24 hours in a day. Projects are very interactive and creative. They usually apply to a real life situation. I have heard from former KLMS students that their freshman year was a breeze. Kemps Landing will prepare your child for the best and worst of what is to come in life. It has taught me many lessons and has tested many other's morals and beliefs. This school, according to me, would be a 6 star school. Sadly, that is not a choice...

Kemps Landing Magnet 1

Posted December 09, 2010
SO MUCH WORK! I TALKED TO A COLLEGE STUDENT WHO SAID THEY DID THE MOST WORK AT KLMS THAN ANYWHERE ELSE. SCHOOL IS YOUR LIFE. COLLEGE CLASSES FOR 8TH GRADERS, REALLY? WHATS THE RUSH? WHY DO THEY NEED TO KNOW SO MUCH AT THE BEST TIME OF THEIR LIVES?

Kemps Landing Magnet
4722 Jericho Rd, Virginia Beach, VA  23462
Last modified Kemps Landing Magnet is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kemps Landing Magnet Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 53 reviews.