Brandon Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1257 students

Student diversity

Posted June 26, 2014

If I could give this school zero stars, I would. My son was a 6th grader in the school. The administration here is delusional, and some of the teachers are right behind them in the incompetent department. My son, who is a very outgoing, sociable kid, was hit by a girl during class. He got up and told the girl to stop hitting him. Apparently, telling someone to stop hitting you is considered "posturing to fight". The teacher sees this, and sends him to the principal's office, where is sentenced to one day of in school suspension, and so does the other child who actually put her hands on my son. In my opinion, my son and this other student getting the same punishment does not make any sense. The other student actually HITS my child and gets the same punishment as my son who did not even place a finger on the other student. Where's the fairness in this situation? Also, the teachers use threatening behavior towards there students. Total lack of professionalism my eyes. The adults employed at this school need to learn to work efficiently in their profession.

Posted May 16, 2014

My daughter is currently attending the 6th grade at Brandon. I was afraid of this school after reading some of the reviews but I have nothing bad to say. The school curriculum for the advanced class is very challenging. The teachers are VERY involved with the students. They are always finding ways to help their students. The teachers want to see their students succeed. Most children at the school are involved in extracurricular activities. My daughter had the opportunity to be part of the track team. The 2 track coaches are awesome. They push their girls to do better and excel in this sport. My daughter made good friends at Brandon. I was afraid of bullying but the school is though on this issue. The security at the school is superb. The school offers free tutoring. If you consider that your child is not doing great in class then make sure they attend this. Is your responsibility as a parent to make sure your child excels and do well in class. Tutoring will reinforce was being covered in class.

Posted May 8, 2014

The after school programs for students to participate in has more than half of the student population involved in clubs and athletics throughout the year.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 25, 2014

I have had two children go to this school and have been pleased with the teachers and staff.

Posted January 22, 2014

I cannot rate this school. I have been highly disappointed in this school. At first I thought it was due to a "middle school" but found out that it is from the diversity of students. Not sure about the staff quality. I do know I withdrew my daughter to homeschool because the atmosphere at Brandon Middle was beginning to change her character. I believe they concentrate on teaching SOL's and not the subject matter. Do not recommend this school.

Posted November 15, 2013

I absolutely hate that this school has such bad ratings. My son just started this year. He has always went to a Christian school so we were so nervous about him starting here, especially after reading the reviews here. I am soo happy to say that he absolutely loves it here, and I don't think could be happier. He loves all of his teachers, has made lots of good friends who stand up for what is right, and even security guards in the school are uplifting and seem to love the kids. I have had close contact with the teachers through email, and he even attends a club afterschool that supports our faith. I thought all that would have been lost leaving a Christian school. Anyways, just though I would add my input and say that in my opinion, Brandon middle school is an awesome school where the teachers and staff actually care about the kids and their well being.

Posted October 19, 2013

The education in this school is poor compared to other schools. The sanitary conditions of this school is so disgusting. And the guidance counselors did not help me when I wanted to change classes from Spanish to Japanese. I remember one of the counselors kept pressuring me into taking Spanish (I HAVE NO IDEA WHY), and wow, it's MY CHOICE in what class I want to take. Specifically I wanted to take Japanese because I am more interested in that language. But NO, she would not let me take it because she kept saying Spanish was easier and that there are still open spots for Japanese (I later found out that there were open spots for Japanese -.-). Poor teaching, poor administration, poor guidance counselor assistance, poor sanitation, overload on bullying = sums it up.

Posted September 14, 2013

Brandon Middle school is okay. All of my teachers are nice except 6th grade teachers Mrs.Harmon and Mrs.Downing I recommend this school only if you get the right teachers. The Guidance is horrible my friend was getting bullied and then got jumped at the bus stop and got in trouble for protecting himself and all they did to the bully was call his parents and give him 30 minute lunch detention.

Posted September 10, 2013

I have 2 children that attend this school. I agree that this school is not a great place. I have been very happy with the advanced teachers they work hard and make learning fun. Unfortunatly there are several teachers who are awful. I would say names but I am not sure i can. I would like to know why these teachers are still teaching. No teacher should tell a student to shut up. As for the P.E. department they need to learn how to respect the children and the parents. The guidence office is a mess. If you don't have to deal with them don't you probably won't get a call back anyway. I Have been waiting over year after numerous messages. I actally ran into the guidence lady in the hall way when i was picking up my child. And are who we trust with are hildren. I think brandon rules ore over the top. They can't even sit with their friends at lunch. YES they have assigned seats. The only 30 mins they can talk to their friends. I think brandon forgot how to treat people and why they have started teaching or working with kids in the first place. It is like a jail when the kids get off the buses. I am so greatful my kids have great teachers this year.

Posted August 16, 2013

I love this school, If someone threatens or bullies you, they get suspended! Most of the teachers are really nice, they have many clubs and great lunches!! one of the teachers is so nice she decided to buy me a yearbook in 6th grade!!

Posted June 24, 2013

I go to Tallwood now. I use to go to Brandon. It was the worst, nothing is done about the bullying and the principle needs to be fired and replaced. I had a good education there so I have to complaints about that but I hated how guidance put me in classes I didn't want to take. I was forced to take P.E. every year. I didn't even get to choose my freshmen year schedule. The teacher and principle show very poor leadership. Spare your child's innocence, that place is like the jungle where everyone pretty much gets bullied and the bullies never get disciplined. I remembered one time I was put in ISS just for standing for myself against a guy who kept picking on me.

Posted May 6, 2013

SAVE YOUR CHILD. Nearly everyday for the past 2 years I have come home sobbing. This school has changed me. Taken my innocence destroyed any happy emotion left in me. The students at this school bully so much and NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING Is done about it! There was a freak out about the other review on here saying this is the worst experience of their life. People freaked out a little and then everyone ignored it and tried to pretend it didn't happen. WHY NOT CHANGE IT? Try to stop the bullying not push what's happening in a corner and hope it doesn't happen anymore. The principal at this does nothing to stop it. No teacher or administrator does. Please spare your child of the misery and hold them tight knowing they still have their innocence.

Posted May 4, 2013

It took me till the middle of the 7th grade to adjust to this awful place. Right away there were serious problems with this school. For example, bullying. This school has said many times how important it is to stand up when you see someone being bullied. They keep telling us this and giving scenarios, yet they do nothing when the actual situation is happening. Wait, no. In a serious situation, the bully gets a "Don't do it again." and both the victim and the bully just get sent back to class. Or in some issues, the counselor finds out that the victim is suicidal and they call their parents. That's it. Now on to the teachers. I will admit, some of them are pretty great, but many of them are awful. Some criticize EVERYTHING you do, some treat you like kindergarteners, and the others just give you work and ignore you for the rest of the class. I find the ones that ignore us kind of funny though. They give us work, expect us to know it, then wonder why we're failing the class. Yeah, that's right. Here, most of the time it's not the student's fault for failing. There's a few reasons why I HIGHLY suggest you don't enroll your child in this school.

Posted April 20, 2013

We have experienced a lot of schools as a military family. Private, DODEA, and public. Brandon Middle School has been the worst experience in our entire lives. The guidance office does not look at students performance they place them in whatever class has a seat. The Administration does nothing to control the atmosphere. Kids are bullied, harassed and there is no repercussion. Good students are lost in the shuffle NEVER challenged and treated as a low achieving criminal. My own child's scores dropped from entering the school with scores in the 1200 range to 930 last month. DO NOT send your child to Brandon Middle School if at all possible. It is the admin and the guidance office I blame. I do like the teachers my student has had.

Posted February 4, 2013

This is our first year with Brandon and as of today, we've had two major bullying incidents that were handled so poorly that we had to escalate, send numerous emails, spend time tracking down persons who would not call back when they said they would and had to threaten to escalate above the school level. The school admits that they have a lot of work to do with handling emotional and verbal bullying. The only thing that works is persistant parental involvment. They won't get involved simply from the kids asking for help. I feel terrible for all the kids there who don't have parents who are willing to do anything it takes to get the matter taken care of. I hope changes will be made but right now we don't trust the adminstration to handle these incidents the correct way the first time. I will say that my child's teachers in the advanced classes are wonderful and he's very pleased with each and every one of them. When you have a child that loves school it breaks your heart when it's something like a bully that interferes with that.

Posted August 29, 2012

Very happy with this school. My daughter just graduated from this school and we had a very good experience. I like how every student is given a chance to work at their own level and can achieve at this level through the core teams that they belonged to. My daughter was in the core team with advanced classes and is all done with Geometry honors at 8th grade. The core teams were arranged through the subjects a student is taking. So everybody in it, is at least similar in intellect, behaviors, aspirations and temperament. Each core team got their own hallway and locker side, so bullying is minimized. She's very happy with this school and now she is about to go to Princess Anne High, International Baccalaureate Program. I can't speak for the others here nor I claim to know your real situation of being bullied or what your experiences with the admin and teachers are. But my advice for any parent would be, listen to the teachers first and be open to what they are saying. Only you working hand in hand with them could totally help your child. Don't take it as them being hostile to your child. Believe me 100 percent of the time, teachers really want to help.

Posted March 19, 2012

Again, Please let me stress to you the importance of knowing where you re going! I relied solely, on our real-estate agent. Legally, they are not allowed to inform you on much of anything regarding your environment or schools. I based my decision on our neighborhood; which by all accounts, is good! What I didn t realize, was that the school zone was clear on the other side of town. In my words, the wrong side of the tracks. I drove to the boundary and saw things that I wish I would have saw prior to my decision to purchase here. Brandon Middle School is nothing but low class! The kids are bullies! The school has done nothing, to help my child! I do mean nothing! When I asked to move to another school, the principal begged me to give this school another chance. Now, I am left with another incident, involving my child defending herself, and yet another OSS. My child is not perfect; this is known! But coming from somewhere, where she has never been in any trouble, to now having 2 OSS, 4 referrals, and now a Corrective Action Plan?? Really! My anger and hostility goes without saying, but there needs to be a better plan, a better administration, to protect the kids threatened daily!!!

Posted January 13, 2012

We just moved here from Texas and I had to make a choice on a home right away. While we love our home, we have nothing but trouble from day 1 with Brandon Middle School. Today, my daughter was kicked out of school for defending herself and trying to walk away from a situation; which led to the other part of the referral , skipping class. I could go on and on. The racial line is drawn very thick there. I withdrew my daughter after todays incident. I would rather homeschool her then to have to send her back to that miserable place again. I watched a teacher get into kids faces in the hallway, while he was screaming at them to SHUT UP! I informed the main office and nothing was done. They treat these kids like common criminals. I am a strict parent and have taught my two kids to always be kind and courteous, but that is not what they are teaching there. I agree with the comment below, how the teachers and the asst principals and office staff are the bullies! Without question, this is the worst school I have ever had the misfortune of going to. I am filing written complaints and pursuing this matter all the way until I cannot do anything further. Do not enroll your kids a there!

Posted November 2, 2011

Brandon has had a bad reputation for years. I feel the new administration has changed things for the better. I see her outside in the morning greeting buses as well watching the activity buses leave at 5:30. My only complaint is the constant interuption of other students during instruction. I have heard this from many students. Instead of always blaming the teachers and administration, I feel the parents need to step up and discipline their children!

Posted May 6, 2010

Excellent teachers, strong security, fun extracurricular activities and sports.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 74% in 2013.

375 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 86% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

284 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests to assess students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, writing in grades 5 and 8, and science in grades in 3, 5 and 8. The SOL tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 75% in 2013.

395 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 88% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

299 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 71% in 2013.

435 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 70% in 2013.

434 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 88% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

293 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

427 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students70%

Students with disabilities43%
Students without disabilities70%
Proficient in English67%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. Data is not reported when there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school.

All Students78%

Students with disabilities35%
Students without disabilities78%
Proficient in English73%

Source: Virginia Department of Education

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 76% in 2013.

160 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 76% in 2013.

138 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) End-of-Course tests to assess students in reading, writing, math, science and history/social science subjects at the end of each course, regardless of the student's grade level. The SOL End-of-Course tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. High school students must pass at least six SOL End-of-Course tests to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Algebra I

Students with disabilitiesn/a
Students without disabilities99%
Proficient in English99%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

• 3:50 pm
  • Mrs. Christy E. McQueeney
Fax number
  • (757) 366-4550

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options