Virginia Beach, VA
Students enrolled: 1,257

Posted October 02, 2014
Horrible school!!!!!! The lazy administration at this school is more focused on discipline and suspending than teaching. Children are getting suspended for little to no reason at all! The school board needs to investigate this school and parents need to be aware that black children are being suspended left and right!

Posted August 27, 2014
I HATE THIS SCHOOL. I'm unable to give it 0 stars, but believe me I would. No need to go into the story but I removed my son because of racism in the administration. Period!

Posted August 11, 2014
I LOVE this school!! I go there and I'm going to 7th grade I think most of the staff is really nice. It was a nice experience for my 1st year of middle school. I think the things I loved most were the teachers they helped me when ever I needed help and they made learning fun for us my favorite teachers in 6th grade are mrs. Hersey and mrs.Rose they were the best teachers I ever had. I did feel like the did a lot to prevent bullying. I have lots of friends and I'm happy at Brandon. I feel like I can be who I am at this school. And teachers except that. And I took orchestra this year and in was great and I felt like I exeled I learning how to play viola. This is the first year that I want to actually go back to school during summer. I give this school a big thumbs up rating!!!

Posted June 26, 2014
If I could give this school zero stars, I would. My son was a 6th grader in the school. The administration here is delusional, and some of the teachers are right behind them in the incompetent department. My son, who is a very outgoing, sociable kid, was hit by a girl during class. He got up and told the girl to stop hitting him. Apparently, telling someone to stop hitting you is considered "posturing to fight". The teacher sees this, and sends him to the principal's office, where is sentenced to one day of in school suspension, and so does the other child who actually put her hands on my son. In my opinion, my son and this other student getting the same punishment does not make any sense. The other student actually HITS my child and gets the same punishment as my son who did not even place a finger on the other student. Where's the fairness in this situation? Also, the teachers use threatening behavior towards there students. Total lack of professionalism my eyes. The adults employed at this school need to learn to work efficiently in their profession.

Posted May 16, 2014
My daughter is currently attending the 6th grade at Brandon. I was afraid of this school after reading some of the reviews but I have nothing bad to say. The school curriculum for the advanced class is very challenging. The teachers are VERY involved with the students. They are always finding ways to help their students. The teachers want to see their students succeed. Most children at the school are involved in extracurricular activities. My daughter had the opportunity to be part of the track team. The 2 track coaches are awesome. They push their girls to do better and excel in this sport. My daughter made good friends at Brandon. I was afraid of bullying but the school is though on this issue. The security at the school is superb. The school offers free tutoring. If you consider that your child is not doing great in class then make sure they attend this. Is your responsibility as a parent to make sure your child excels and do well in class. Tutoring will reinforce was being covered in class.

Posted May 08, 2014
The after school programs for students to participate in has more than half of the student population involved in clubs and athletics throughout the year.

Brandon Middle School 4

Posted January 25, 2014
I have had two children go to this school and have been pleased with the teachers and staff.

Posted January 22, 2014
I cannot rate this school. I have been highly disappointed in this school. At first I thought it was due to a "middle school" but found out that it is from the diversity of students. Not sure about the staff quality. I do know I withdrew my daughter to homeschool because the atmosphere at Brandon Middle was beginning to change her character. I believe they concentrate on teaching SOL's and not the subject matter. Do not recommend this school.

Posted November 15, 2013
I absolutely hate that this school has such bad ratings. My son just started this year. He has always went to a Christian school so we were so nervous about him starting here, especially after reading the reviews here. I am soo happy to say that he absolutely loves it here, and I don't think could be happier. He loves all of his teachers, has made lots of good friends who stand up for what is right, and even security guards in the school are uplifting and seem to love the kids. I have had close contact with the teachers through email, and he even attends a club afterschool that supports our faith. I thought all that would have been lost leaving a Christian school. Anyways, just though I would add my input and say that in my opinion, Brandon middle school is an awesome school where the teachers and staff actually care about the kids and their well being.

Posted October 19, 2013
The education in this school is poor compared to other schools. The sanitary conditions of this school is so disgusting. And the guidance counselors did not help me when I wanted to change classes from Spanish to Japanese. I remember one of the counselors kept pressuring me into taking Spanish (I HAVE NO IDEA WHY), and wow, it's MY CHOICE in what class I want to take. Specifically I wanted to take Japanese because I am more interested in that language. But NO, she would not let me take it because she kept saying Spanish was easier and that there are still open spots for Japanese (I later found out that there were open spots for Japanese -.-). Poor teaching, poor administration, poor guidance counselor assistance, poor sanitation, overload on bullying = sums it up.

Brandon Middle School
1700 Pope St, Virginia Beach, VA  23464
Last modified Brandon Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Brandon Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 45 reviews. Top