Virginia Beach, VA
Students enrolled: 1,257

Posted April 06, 2015
DON'T DO IT. JUST DON'T. I am almost done with my three years at this school, and all of them were terrible. The teachers are not professional, the have a very threatening manner, do not actually teach the subjects, and are very bad with discipline. Another factor is that the faculty are also very unprofessional, they assign seats at lunch, and if you do not sit at them, you get suspended! They will not respond if you have a question and call or send them a note, they have lost many of my doctors notes that excused my absences and I got in trouble for it, the entire administration is very unfriendly, even with my parents, fights break out all the time, a child got arrested the other day for having drugs, and people get suspended for things that aren't even logical. (People also say they are racist, but I do not see that, same with bullying) Sanitation at the school is also very, very terrible. Truthfully, if i could rate this -666, I would.
2 people found this helpful

Posted March 12, 2015
Horrible school!!! Being a military family and have travel all over the world this is worst mistake we had made putting our son in this school. A lot of bullying goes on in this school and nothing get done about it. Children are getting suspended for protecting themselves. The administration at this school is horrible and they don't care about these students of color. Children are getting bully not only by their peers but the teacher and administrator as well. I will always stand up for my children when they are being bully by their peers and nothing is being done. This school has the worst racial barrier that I have send and it's not only with the students the administration also. I will be taking my child out of this school. I want to give this school a rating triple zero but unfortunately it's not on the rating chart. I will be contacting the school board because this school needs to be investigated. Horrible Horrible school!
3 people found this helpful

Posted October 02, 2014
Horrible school!!!!!! The lazy administration at this school is more focused on discipline and suspending than teaching. Children are getting suspended for little to no reason at all! The school board needs to investigate this school and parents need to be aware that black children are being suspended left and right!

Posted August 27, 2014
I HATE THIS SCHOOL. I'm unable to give it 0 stars, but believe me I would. No need to go into the story but I removed my son because of racism in the administration. Period!

Posted August 11, 2014
I LOVE this school!! I go there and I'm going to 7th grade I think most of the staff is really nice. It was a nice experience for my 1st year of middle school. I think the things I loved most were the teachers they helped me when ever I needed help and they made learning fun for us my favorite teachers in 6th grade are mrs. Hersey and mrs.Rose they were the best teachers I ever had. I did feel like the did a lot to prevent bullying. I have lots of friends and I'm happy at Brandon. I feel like I can be who I am at this school. And teachers except that. And I took orchestra this year and in was great and I felt like I exeled I learning how to play viola. This is the first year that I want to actually go back to school during summer. I give this school a big thumbs up rating!!!

Posted June 26, 2014
If I could give this school zero stars, I would. My son was a 6th grader in the school. The administration here is delusional, and some of the teachers are right behind them in the incompetent department. My son, who is a very outgoing, sociable kid, was hit by a girl during class. He got up and told the girl to stop hitting him. Apparently, telling someone to stop hitting you is considered "posturing to fight". The teacher sees this, and sends him to the principal's office, where is sentenced to one day of in school suspension, and so does the other child who actually put her hands on my son. In my opinion, my son and this other student getting the same punishment does not make any sense. The other student actually HITS my child and gets the same punishment as my son who did not even place a finger on the other student. Where's the fairness in this situation? Also, the teachers use threatening behavior towards there students. Total lack of professionalism my eyes. The adults employed at this school need to learn to work efficiently in their profession.

Posted May 16, 2014
My daughter is currently attending the 6th grade at Brandon. I was afraid of this school after reading some of the reviews but I have nothing bad to say. The school curriculum for the advanced class is very challenging. The teachers are VERY involved with the students. They are always finding ways to help their students. The teachers want to see their students succeed. Most children at the school are involved in extracurricular activities. My daughter had the opportunity to be part of the track team. The 2 track coaches are awesome. They push their girls to do better and excel in this sport. My daughter made good friends at Brandon. I was afraid of bullying but the school is though on this issue. The security at the school is superb. The school offers free tutoring. If you consider that your child is not doing great in class then make sure they attend this. Is your responsibility as a parent to make sure your child excels and do well in class. Tutoring will reinforce was being covered in class.

Posted May 08, 2014
The after school programs for students to participate in has more than half of the student population involved in clubs and athletics throughout the year.

Brandon Middle School 4

Posted January 25, 2014
I have had two children go to this school and have been pleased with the teachers and staff.

Posted January 22, 2014
I cannot rate this school. I have been highly disappointed in this school. At first I thought it was due to a "middle school" but found out that it is from the diversity of students. Not sure about the staff quality. I do know I withdrew my daughter to homeschool because the atmosphere at Brandon Middle was beginning to change her character. I believe they concentrate on teaching SOL's and not the subject matter. Do not recommend this school.

Brandon Middle School
1700 Pope St, Virginia Beach, VA  23464
Last modified Brandon Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Brandon Middle School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 47 reviews. Top