Virginia Beach, VA

Posted July 14, 2015
My child's experience at College Park Elementary has been stellar thus far. She just ended her kindergarten year, and I am thoroughly satisfied. The low rating would concern any parent at first glance. However, I personally witnessed my daughter and her classmates excel in reading and mathematics, and the concern easily diminished. In regards to teacher effectiveness, by the end of the school year 2015, she was reading on a second grade level. Virginia Beach Public schools has a preset expectation for kindergarteners to read on a level 3 by the end of the school year. The lowest rated child who started school not even knowing sounds and letters ended at a level 8, while others averaged between 12 and 16. As College Park is a Title 1 school, the students have access to additional learning tools and activities to assist in their progress. The school hosted events such as Math and Literacy Night, Science and Technology Night, and provided all students with free online books. To engage the community and parental involvement, the school hosted Family Fun and Fitness nights, Breakfast with Santa, and a Talent Showcase. There were many other events that we were available to encourage student, teacher and parental involvement. To that point, if there is anything negative to be said in this review, it is more about the administrative inconsistencies parental involvement and less about the teachers. I volunteered weekly to assist with various scheduled activities throughout the school. The purpose was to show up for my child and any other child who did not have a parent available. It will always be easier to lay sole blame on teachers when children do not excel as expected. However, the absence of parental involvement was not only noticeable, it was shameful. I read a review written earlier this month that mentions Principal Wynn, who left College Park in the summer of 2014. As inaccurate reviews can direct a person's opinion, the review author must not be a current student's parent. If they are, please see the aforementioned comment on the lack of parental involvement. To the point of administrative inconsistency, I believe with the new team of Dr. White and Mrs. Fonville will be amazing. I have always maintained a village mentality for my child an other relatives. The teachers, staff and administrators seem to have that same mentality. We will return for 1st grade.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted July 14, 2015

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted July 04, 2015
The principal Mrs. Wynn was the worst in the district. Under her leadership the school dropped to last place out of 59 schools.

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted June 08, 2015
The amount of time a teachers can teach effects the amount of information a student can learn. However this is the problem at College Park. Students are so noisy and disruptive no learning is going on. NO WONDER THEY FAILED THEIR SOL'S AGAIN!!!!!

College Park Elementary School 1

Posted June 08, 2015
This school needs to be shut down. Students are NOT learning here. I have never been in a school this noisy before. The students were in charge here. I witnessed bullying, aggression and acts that would not be tolerated at other schools. When I asked teachers about this they said it was standard operating procedures, and they were dissuaded from sending students to the office because each time a child is referred to the office a record is kept of the offence and how many times certain behaviors happen. The administration says it makes the school look bad to parents if there are a lot of offences!

College Park Elementary School 2

Posted May 08, 2014
My daughter has come home 3 times this year with lice! Everytime I find it I keep her home and immediately call the school nurse.now she has lice...again!! I called the nurse and she said to me " I'm not sure what you expect me to do about it" . I expect you to do your job and follow protocol! It was clear they do not check the children Nor send a note home to the parents making them aware of an outbreak! I called the principal and demanded they check every student in that class, call those parents and send a note home with every student in the school discussing the outbreak. The principal didn't ask the teachers name!.Other issues are we have a prepaid card for her lunches and usually receive an email stating that she is getting low on funds. Sometimes we do sometimes we don't. On days that she runs out of money they give her a cheese sandwich....that's right bread and cheese and we have to back pay for a full lunch while other students whose parents" can't afford" to feed their children received free full lunches. Once I forgot to put a drink in her lunchbox and they told her she couldn't buy a drink! Completely unacceptable!

Posted July 11, 2013
I have my two kids in this school and I must say it is an amazing school with such wonderful staff!!!!! You not only feel so secure with having your child in your school but the education they receive is phenomenal and the teachers are remarkable !!!! College Park Elementary is by far one of the greatest schools... in my eyes the best school by far. Thank You Mrs Wynn for all you !

Posted October 12, 2011
I have my 2 kids in this school right now, and another one graduated 3 years ago. I must say, that my experience with this school is very positive. All my kids have always had passed/advanced on their SOL's. The teachers I know are very dedicated and helpful. Bullying has never been tolerated. Since classes are small manageable, they know their students and those who are prone to bully and trouble.

College Park Elementary School 4

Posted June 06, 2011
Great school and the teachers and staff are very considerate to kids with IEP'S and delays. My only two concerns are; 1) Equal disapline with others students and listening to the student when they're getting picked on. For NO one deserves to be bullied. 2) Adaquate SAFE parking. I understand that they're building a new school behind the current one, however there is really no safe parking for the staff and the parents. ---Thank you.

College Park Elementary School 1

Posted April 15, 2011
Students have continiouslyfailed SOL's. Teachers and administration allows bullying. I have encounted problems for my disabled child. She come off of the bus crying or almost crying. I HATE this school.
2 people found this helpful

1110 Bennington Rd, Virginia Beach, VA  23464
Last modified College Park Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.
College Park Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top