Hermitage Elementary School 3

Posted June 24, 2014
The principal doesn't support after school enrichment activities such as clubs and programs designed to support growth and development for students outside of the classroom. She doesn't respond to parent emails, questions or concerns. Her only concern is supporting SOL tests. While maintaining these scores is important, she fails to realize how experiences out of the classroom can support core standards. Parent involvement suffers because she is so difficult to work with. There are many amazing teachers at this school, but a few that might want to review the importance of not screaming at students or calling them names.

Hermitage Elementary School 2

Posted March 14, 2014
My kids currently attend this school and I am not impressed. They went to Kempsville Elementay before here, and this school has nothing on them. Kempsville was warm and inviting. Kempsville felt like a family and I feel like that is important. The PTA here has nothing on Kempsville. The PTA doesn't do much. Dad's were a lot more involved at Kempsville. They even had a special PTA for them. I can go on and on. I don't even want to get started on the teachers. All I'm saying is that the rating doesn't always mean much and now I know this.

Posted March 10, 2014
Worst school ever! if your child has an IEP. Assistant Principal has poor ethical skills, so some of the staff too. Lack of support, always complaining about the child. The teachers assistances are poorly prepare to work with children. A five star school is strong in every area, this school has deficiencies that need to be address in order to be a five star school.

Posted September 27, 2013
I have 2 children attending Hermitage a 1st and 4th grade and so far I couldn't be more happier. The kids love the school and teachers. Overall this school is involved with their students receiving a great education. The teachers and stuff keep the parents informed . Being a military family and moving around so much I was a bit nervous but the kids have settled in fine.

Posted May 19, 2013
My daughter went to a very highly rated preschool for 2 years prior to going into kindergarten at Hermitage. On her first quarter report card, she met grade level expectations and had no concerns. Well, she received her first progress report and it wasn't good. Second quarter report card remarks went down, 2nd progress report down. I asked the teacher is there anything I can do/need to know. She said, she needs to work on counting down from 10. Well, stuck with the school and in the last two weeks of school, she formed/wrote a complete 3 word sentence. Should have pulled her out after the 1st quarter. She has no learning disabilities and has excelled in music and is doing much better in private school (1st, 2nd grade). Of course, the private school's academic work is well above Hermitage. I think she would have been fine at Thoroughgood, but we were not zoned for there. Would work 2 jobs to afford private just so she wouldn't have to attend H. I would be weary of sending my child to this school.

Posted December 05, 2012
The current principal, teachers, and other school officials are jokes when it comes to knowing how to solve problems. I have personally witnessed them all stand by while children are being bullied. How many adults does it take to stop a 7 year old boy from bullying? If you are afraid for your child's safety. Please do not send them to HES.

Hermitage Elementary School 4

Posted August 11, 2010
This school is wonderful. There are great teachers & the assistant principal is quick to handle disciplinary problems. However, there are a few teachers that need to move on f they can't handle how children act. Children are not perfect and they should not be punished for every little thing. Definetly needs to be more parent involvement in the school & PTA. Volunteers are so few & far between that they burn out the ones that do volunteer. Lots of military families & they are great about transitioning them into the school. Good communication between teachers and parents!

Posted March 26, 2010
I have a son who has an IEP, and we have never had any problems with the staff. Infact, they have gone out of their way to help with both of my children. Both of my childrens teachers are in constant contact with us, and they also send regular updates so we know what is going on and what to expect. Overall, I am very satified with this school as are my neighbors whose children attend this school. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a good school. Not to mention that they are a school that is ahead of the learning curve.

Posted February 03, 2010
I had a child attend HES with an IEP. The lack of support that was given was astounding. Many of the teachers would pick him out and treat him horribly over the course of three years that he attended. I was very unhappy with the Teaching staff as well as the office staff (Principles). After putting up with this for three years I moved from the are just to change schools.

Posted October 07, 2009
my son goes there and there is not one negative thing i can say about this school...education he is receiving here has yet to be anything but extrordinary

Hermitage Elementary School
1701 Pleasure House Road, Virginia Beach, VA  23455
Last modified Hermitage Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hermitage Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top