Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

Ever since I was in 7th grade all the teachers have put effort into working with me and it has resulted in me have good relationships with my teachers.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Since they are on a bell schedule system there is no time to complete the homework due the next day when a student like myself has clubs everyweek.

I'm a current student here and this school was great my 6th & 7th grade years were great all my teacher's were great. My 8th grade teachers are amazing people and I appreciate the effort they put into their teachings, but the AP for 8th grade is awful he has unfair rules and harasses students (mainly female) for dresscode when they are not going against the city wide dresscode,, he simply has way too many strict rules for it being a middle school. Other than the AP the school is pretty good.

Independence Middle School is outstanding. I like the teachers, Principal Manugo, all the assistant Principals, the office staff and the guidance counselors. I like the enthusiasm and positive vibe I received from the school. They are very dedicated in providing fundamental academics so students can build on their knowledge. They take themselves and students seriously. I would trust them with my son who is currently a 7th Grader. It's a school you want to choose not only for your child's academic but for their extensive extra curricular activities, safe school environment and dedicated extra staff like the Greeters as you enter the school and the lunch monitors who look after our kids when they are eating in the Cafeteria.

My daughter is in the 8th grade, but she's new to the school. Unfortunately, the teachers and the students weren't friendly at all on her first day. They didn't try to make her feel welcome, and they didn't make an effort to accept her. I don't know what's the matter with people these days. Back in my day, I made the effort to reach out to new students and at least be friendly and introduce myself. And I would expect even higher standards from the teachers. I hope to some day revised this rating or delete it -- but as of today, I'm giving IMS One star only because it's the first day.

Independence Middle School provided a quality educational program for my child. His teachers were strong and for the most part championed his success. The 2 head principals were vastly different with the lady being very hands on and visible. The 3 APs varied from strong on curriculum and instruction and great people skills [Mr. Jon Irby: 6th Grade Principal] to functional and fulfilling their duties at a level that appropriately met the needs of the students and staff overwhich they provided supervision. Mr. Rector, 7th Grade Prin., is a by the book no nonsence person; Ms. Timlin is a brand new administrator and tries very hard to be liked and to lead. The Head Principal, Mr. Manugo, prefers to let his administrative team do their thing. He is not as definitive as a leader as was his predecessor, Mrs. Woodhouse. Student Activities Director, Mr. Felton, lacks leadership and the qualities to deal with the public. He appears to be more interested in getting a high school than learning the programs for a middle school. The parents miss the previous SAC, Mr. Lawrence because he lived and breathed his job and was considered Mr. Independence. They named PTA scholarship for him.

Amazing Teachers and programs! But the building itself it extremely outdated! other than that excellent school for a public school!

I got o to Independence and i like it pretty well its so cool It offers a lot of things other schools don't. Most of the teachers are willing to go the extra mile to help someone out and overall a lot of them are pretty cool. I don't like Mr. Jon Irby the 6th grade principal. He is rude and i do not like his appearance, in my opinion he should lose wight and clean up his appearance.

I was a 7th grade student at IMS and I would say that it is a very good school overall. They offer some courses like keyboarding, which I took and am now a great typer, that other schools do not. The school seems to be a head of all the other schools at times and I liked it that way just fine.

I've Been Attending IMS for three years.Im currently an 8th grader. IMS overall is a good school. They encourage you to get involved,whether it's in Sports or Academic teams. As the treasurer of the school Im telling you this year and the years to follow will better at IMS, with our new Principal Mrs.Woodhouse. She is setting the goals high this year and she is making us students strive for the best and for us to be the best. IMS has great opportunities in their academics they provide classes from advanced english all the way to geometry. Most of the staff are caring and will always be there for you. So im telling you if your son or daughter is comming to IMS it's going to be a great experience. I have to say Im going to be sad that Im leaving but once an eagle always an eagle.

Last modified Independence Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.