Virginia Beach, VA

Kempsville Middle School 4

Posted September 13, 2012
The staff has been very helpful in helping my daughter transition from elementary. Despite the whole experience being overwhelming, we are finding that the staff is on top of everything and working to make her days go as smoothly as possible. I would agree that the leadership of KMS is outstanding.

Kempsville Middle School 2

Posted December 22, 2010
There isn't much to crow about this school. I went to it and the teachers are average, the leadership is average, and there aren't any challenging academic programmes.

Kempsville Middle School 1

Posted June 05, 2009

Posted December 16, 2008

Kempsville Middle School 0

Posted November 27, 2007
I become more and more impressed with the teachers and the principal. Leadership is tremendous since Dr. Smith came. Teacher /Parent / student involvement is top notch and their reaching out to the community with movie night was wonderful. I love KMS more and more.

Posted July 03, 2007
I LOVE their band. The teachers are great! I absolutley LOVE KMS!

Posted March 14, 2006
I didn't know how great it was until we left the area. Fantastic course selection and outstanding extracurricular activities. Caring teachers and involved parents.

Posted January 07, 2006
I think that Kempsville Middle School is great! I am on my third child attending there and quite frankly hate the thought that next school year will be our last there. My third child came into the school with some learning problems that were not very well atttended to in elementary school. Within the first 2 - 3 weeks of school I had conferences with all of his teachers and his counselor. We discused plans on how to help him succeed and the teachers cmae up with great ideas and they were backed by the counselor. After several months his grades were improving and this second year of middle school is proving to be even a bigger and better success. All of the teachers and the counselor and the principal have been helpful and supportive. I will not move from this area because of the Kempsville middle and High School.

Kempsville Middle School 4

Posted December 20, 2005
There are many good teachers here, and I agree there are some who need to retire, but unfortunately that's everywhere. My main problem with KMS is lack of communication. They rely on the kids themselves as the only means of sending info home to the parents. They don't tell you something's wrong until it's too late to correct it. They don't offer assistance, you have to search for it, then beg for it. I understand a teacher's life is busy, but that's part of the job. My job is to cover the home life, their job is to cover the school life. If something happens at home, I let them know ASAP and directly (not through notes sent via my 13 year old). I expect the same in return. It's been like pulling teeth to get info on time. Other than lack of communication, it's a great school.

Kempsville Middle School 3

Posted May 04, 2004
While there are some good teachers at this school, there are some that should find another profession. Sixth grade is such a transition for these 11 yr olds, and it is very hard to have teachers striving to fail them. There is no understanding or compassion. The children are allowed no excuses. KMS promotes 'no bullying', but the staff practices bullying on a daily basis. The busses are horrible. The hallways are a free-for-all for unsavory activity. If your child is accused of something and later found to be innocent, they will never get an apology from staff who accused and bullied them. It sometimes feels like they don't really care if your child does not succeed. There is not a place that they can go for support, guidance, and understanding. Middle school staff needs to remember what a difficult time in a child's life this is.

Kempsville Middle School
860 Churchill Dr, Virginia Beach, VA  23464
Last modified Kempsville Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kempsville Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top