Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

Posted February 16, 2016
Kempsville Meadows Elementary has been a great school for my kids! The teachers and Administration are great! I like that if I have a concern, I can easily get the attention of who I need to talk to without a problem. I love that they are trying to focus on kids doing the right things, and rewarding good behavior!

Develops grit: Agree

Posted February 16, 2016
One of the Habits of Mind that they are working on is diligence. Each month at the cub of the month awards there are lots of them about the students working diligently to accomplish things.

Develops empathy: Agree

Posted February 16, 2016
The counselor is always working with the students on their Habits of Mind! The students are always being reminded and encouraged to use the things they have learned.

Posted February 16, 2016
KMES is a great school! Staff and teachers are great and really care about the kids. The PTA is involved and is always looking for ways to get parents involved. Would highly recommend KMES!!!

Posted May 16, 2013
It all starts at the top. This school has great administrators that truly care about the students. This positivity trickles down to the teachers and then the students. The upfront staff are amazing. In just one or two visits they already knew my name and who I was there for. I am so pleased that my grandson is able to go to this school. He has made many great friends that live in the neighborhood. All good kids that we like him to associate with. After struggling last year in a different school, he made honor roll the first grading period of the year. Although he has not held this honor all year, he is learning in a positive environment with a teacher he and I both adore. Teacher has control over class yet the kids dont feel stiffled. I give this school a big THUMBS UP!

Posted August 16, 2011
I was here in when fourth 4th grade thats when i moved i have been there sice kindergarden i was deastated this sschool is very awesome!!!!! trust me all the teachers are very nice and students!! i would recomend this school for any children!!!!!

Posted March 14, 2009
This is our third year of having a student at KMES and we are very pleased overall. The building is clean and attractive. The office staff is friendly and security is excellent--don't even try to walk the hallways without signing in, or you will be stopped! The three teachers my children have had have been responsive, communicative, and professional at all times. Parents at the school could be much more involved, but then again the PTA could be less cliquey. I think there is some frustration on both sides there. The PTA has been effective in adding new extracurricular activities such as after-school tennis and family nights, and KMES is one of the few non-magnet schools to have its own Destination Imagination program. Principal Daughtry is a good principal but could do more toward fostering school spirit and a tight sense of community identity--about the only thing that KMES lacks.

Posted December 17, 2007
I am the parent of a first grader at KMES and I must say that I have been very pleased in the way they have culivated my child's talents. A much better fit for him than his last school.

Posted July 10, 2007
My daughter has attended KMES since first grade and she'll be starting fifth grade this year. She's had incredible teachers every year. The teachers have always made themselves very available any time I wanted to discuss my daughter's performance with them. Unlike the other parent, I haven't seen any preferential treatment given to the children of PTA board members. (My daughter has won several awards and I'm not a board member.) The school does appreciate, and encourages, parent involvement. I regret that we're being transferred before my younger daughter has a chance to attend Kempsville Meadows Elementary!

Kempsville Meadows Elementary School 4

Posted February 21, 2007
KMES is a really good school. The teachers are friendly and it is a safe environment. There is a stress on the SOL's every year, but every Virginia school does. This school does extremely well on their SOL's because they spend the last 6 weeks of the school year reviewing and practicing for them. The kids get homework every night with practice tests during this time period. The PTA is very active in the school. So much so that if your on the PTA committee your child will get preferential treatment ex., placement in a classroom with the best teacher for that grade level, winning school wide writing/drawing contests, being chosen for citizen of the month, etc. There are some major conflicts of interest. If you can get past these issues, it is a very good school.

736 Edwin Dr, Virginia Beach, VA  23462
Last modified Kempsville Meadows Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.