Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

I would rate this school below average. We were fortunate enough to move to another school in the district. Through this change I realize that the problem at Kings Grant was with leadership. Good teachers are overlooked while the bad gain support. Where is the sense of community for the student body? My child’s teacher lacked a mutual respect for her students and their learning. Good students shouldn't have to tolerate disruptive behavior interrupting their education. This type of behavior is not tolerated nor have we had to experience it at our new school. In my opinion the disrespect runs deep in this school starting with the staff, work on caring and advocating for all, not just those who require the most attention or you'll keep losing good students.

So far so good!!!! My son's 1st day was today even going to register him was a challenge

My son is a special needs student and before he started kindergarten, I met with the assistant principal with professional diagnosis of autism and I requested an IEP. I also showed documentation of how he has behavior issues when he is in a situation that is hard for him. The school completely ignored my initial written paperwork. I called two IEP meetings during kindergarten and was denied both times. I was told during one meeting by the assistant principal that I needed to sign that he did not need a 504 plan because those are basically for children with wheelchairs. It was not until I got an advocate that I was told that 504 plans are for children that have a disability that affects them 24/7. Well, his autism does. I was finally able to get a 504 plan after paying a lot for an advocate to represent me. This year in first grade, my son was not placed in an inclusion classroom. When I found out within the first month of school, I requested that they meet the needs of my son and move him to an inclusion classroom. I was denied. I requested another IEP meeting, this time, we were able to move to the next step and start evaluations. They have 65 days from the initial meeting to conclude all evaluations. They have chosen to use every one of the 65 days. This puts my son into January without an IEP. They have not done what is in the best interest of my son and have kept him in a full classroom with a teacher that has NO training or knowledge of autism. I have seen my son decline. He is getting referrals on a constant basis and is basically now being treated like he's a bad kid. I have never been so disgusted in my whole life as watching people that are in the business of helping children completely ignore a child in need of help.

The school as a whole is failing the students. By only teaching to the state exams you are insufficiently teaching the students what they need to progress. I know every parent has different views on homework but at a minimum if you're going to assign it then review it with them in class to see how they did, not just a check mark for doing it...how will they know if they even did it right? How will they learn from their mistakes? I'm lucky enough to be able to do extra teaching with my kid outside of school - she's succeeding because of the tools I'm providing her outside of the classroom, each year she is ahead of what she's expected to know because of that. Then it's a hassle because "I don't need to know this, they don't care about this at school". If you're curious why more people are gravitating toward the math's and sciences - because public schools are only doing the bare minimum - especially at KG. There are less than a handful of teachers at KG that are exemplary and each year it's a fight to get a student in their class because all the parents know who the good teachers are. Isn't that sad?

There are teachers at this school that are phenomenal! But for the majority, they do the bare minimum and they only expect the kids to do the bare minimum. Children's minds are developing, they need to be challenged to progress. Teaching for state exams isn't good teaching.

I loved his school soooo much. I went there for six years and know all the teachers. The teachers are amazing and the school is very family involved. Also the PTA/SCA arealways helping the community.

Excellent school! Excellent teachers and staff! We are military and our child started here in Kindergarten. She has blossomed so much here! She us now in the second grade, and we are all heart broken that we have to leave KGES. I hope and pray her new school on the west coast is as amazing as this one!!

My child attended this school for three years and really enjoyed it. The teachers and staff are caring and there is a lot of parental involvement. I do feel that there needs to be more emphasis on learning. When we moved last year to another school my child had to work hard to get caught up because he had was behind. It is a great little neighborhood school though. Just be prepared to have some extra grade level workbooks to help your child so they don't fall behind.

I attended this school and so do my children. I am not sure why it only received a 4 on this website, the test scores are fantastic. This school has awesome teachers who are very involved with the children along with a significant amount of support from parents. It is in a large city, but still a strong sense of community here in Kings Grant.

I am a former studant of Kings Grant and I LOVED it! The teachers are super nice and teach very well. I am currently taking all advanced courses and that could not have been possible without Kings Grant! I had an awesome experience there!

Last modified King's Grant Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.