Lynnhaven Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 506 students

Student diversity

Posted June 22, 2014

Lynnhaven Elementary School is outstanding with an outstanding team lead by Katherine Everett, Principal. Ms Everett is simply amazing and a godsend and we were blessed that Ethan got to attend kindergarten and get his school years off to an outstanding start! Ethan would tell me on many occasions that Ms. Everett loved him and was his friend. Thank you Mrs. Everett and Lynnhaven Elementary staff. You will always be remembered and never forgotten! God Bless.

Posted October 2, 2013

Lynnhaven is a place where student achievement certainly begins with building relationships. The Administration can be seen each morning greeting our students. Mrs. Everett is outside as the students enter the school building, while Mrs. Yoakam is outside greeting students as they get off the buses. I admire the way Ms. Walston is in the bus loop with her Pom-poms each morning cheering with such enthsiam, as the students are dropped off to start their day of learning. The parents drive off confidently knnowing that their child is in a safe and loving environment.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 1, 2013

Why I Love Lynnhaven Elementary? Hello .My name is Dr. Robert Ziegler and I wanted to explain to you why I love Lynnhaven Elementary School. That question is easy for me to answer. Lynnhaven has been a great asset to my two daughters and my grandson. But the school has been so much more to the people in the community. It has been an excellent learning institution that has provided the utmost educational standards for VA. The faculty and staff always show how much they really care for the well being of the students and they treat each other as a Family . It s nice to know that your child(ren) can go to school and feel safe, secured and loved. The school has have community involvement where parents, teachers and the students become better for our future. With all of us working together as a unity this shows our students that when we work together we can accomplish anything. This is just some of the reasons why I love Lynnhaven Elementary School.

Posted September 29, 2013

My grandson attends and this school is wonderful. Teachers are enthusiastic, the school is beautiful inside and every day my grandson is excited about going to school. On the mornings when I drop him off, all of the teachers say hello and show their caring. His teacher, Mrs Riddick , has everything under control in the classroom and he is learning so much every day.

Posted September 25, 2013

The faculty here are very friendly & enthusiastic. They have created a wonderful learning environment for the children & have many afterschool activites to keep the parents & community involved with their school! Lynnhaven Elementary is a great place to learn!

Posted September 24, 2013

La escula de mi ni a es la mejor, su equipo de trabajo es muy eficiente y muy amable. Esta muy limpia y a mi hija le encanta, en tan poco tiempo ya a aprendido muchas cosas

Posted September 23, 2013

My school is filled with awesome teachers and students. This year our school's theme is "In It to Win It With Student Achievement" and our learners and their families have started the year off with a winner's mindset. When we held our Sneak Peek, it was a huge success. When we hosted Grandparents Day, it was a hit and our Open House was standing room only! Each student received a Take Home Library (a crate with a free book) to start their home library collection this year. I am thrilled to be a Lynnhaven Lion! My favorite part of the day is being on morning duty with my pom- poms, greeting the students as their parents drop them off each day.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 23, 2013

My children both attend Lynnhaven Elementary. The staff is so friendly and welcoming. They make my children as well as myself feel right at home. They also hold high standards and make it obvious that they do everything to be sure all students are successful. academically and with extra-curricula activities.

Posted May 20, 2010

I love my daughter's Elementary School because it displays true concern for the student as a person, a student and future leader. It instills values in the children to want to be successful in all areas of their lives. 'Once a Lion, Always a Lion' is the motto that many alumni still prove worthy today. my daughter cam from a series of abusive events throughout her preschool years; at Lynnhaven, they see this and assist in removing the past scars. When she started kindergarten, she was apprehensive about letting anyone get into her 'circle' now she is surraounded by a circle of loving, caring , concerned staff who want to see her be the best that she can be. She has favor with the teachers, students and friends she has made during her enrollment and has become well equipped to handle most, if not all, situations inside and out side of the school house. I love Lynnhaven Elementary because of their compassion for the student and family. Please consider them for this reward; it is well deserved. Fullfilling a legacy of leaders, it has my vote.

Posted December 20, 2009

I think the school is good, not great. My son has been growing up with Developmental Delay and since we have moved from Chesapeake to Virginia Beach, I've noticed that I'm not getting the same amount of communication from the teachers. I have to agree with another parent; my sons teacher has not made me aware of his problems at school. I wasn't aware of the fact that he was tested again for his DD. The teacher asked me last week if he had gone off medication. I thought that was very insulting. I have met with many doctors and other teachers and no one thought he has ADHD. He's not hyper at all, he can concentrate better at home, because he doesn't tolerate too much noise. I wish they wouldn't judge him like that...

Posted April 9, 2009

Everyone at this school takes the time to get to know the children personally and it makes me feel like my child is safe and he is also learning a lot at this school. I plan to keep him in this school even after I move.

Posted February 6, 2009

I transferred my daughter here when we moved into the district though I culd have kept her at her other school Plaza Elem. I liked the year round but Lynnhaven offered more for her. The teachers, staff everyone has been wonderful. She is now getting the help I had been fighting to get at her other school. And it was not a fight, everyone wanted to make sure she ahd the best education possible.

Posted February 27, 2008

Lynnhaven Elementary has done an excellent job of caring for my son who does have additional educational needs (physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech therapy). We had been at another Virginia Beach school last year and didn't get the results we've had this year. The communication between teachers/staff and parents is good too. There are other programs available in school through the guidance department to help children adjust to a new school, make friends, be a better listener, and much more. The first grade staff has gone above and beyond with providing us with tools we need to ensure our son's continued academic success. We are very happy with all the aspects of the cirrculum.

Posted February 7, 2008

This school needs to be able to accommodate the extremely bright as well as the children who need extra help. my child is bored and unchallenged. Teachers and staff do not communicate with parents. We were not even made aware of an award ceremony my daughter received an award at!

Posted December 4, 2007

l salute Mrs. Yoakam for doing a wonderfull job.

Posted May 10, 2007

I found this school to be fantastic. My boys recieved the extra attention they deserved from there teachers. They were not bored or unhappy at this school, and they loved attending. My boys also want me to mention their lunches here are very nutritional.

Posted February 6, 2006

I wish the school had some accelerated classes for individuals who get bored with some material. There are lots of activities for students to do. I do wish though, teachers had a little more involvement individually with the students. Maybe, even students different learning styles. We do not all learn the same.

Posted February 23, 2004

This school is wonderful! We were a bit worried because of the area but the this is our second year there and we wouldn't change. I think we're better off here than at a private school. Hats off to Principal Mrs. Hayes for doing such a great job. You can tell the staff there is truely passionate about teaching.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 72% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 87% in 2012.

55 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 84% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests to assess students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, writing in grades 5 and 8, and science in grades in 3, 5 and 8. The SOL tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 70% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 84% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 73% in 2013.

55 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 71% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 89% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students78%

Students with disabilities54%
Students without disabilities89%
Proficient in English82%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. Data is not reported when there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school.

All Students73%

Not economically disadvantaged90%
Students without disabilities76%
Proficient in English72%

Source: Virginia Department of Education

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

• Ms. Katherine R. Everett
Fax number
  • (757) 431-4634

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now