Newtown Elementary School

Public | 2-3 | 472 students

Student diversity

Posted June 10, 2011

My 2nd grader and 3rd grader goes to newtown elem. They both love it and so do I. They really embrace involved parents. They have a well kept campus and involved teachers and principle. They focus on teaching the children leadership by teaching public speaking and thinking before you act. They incorporate "7 habits of highly effective children" The school always has family nights and events oging on throughout the year to help parents and children and teachers work as a team for the benefit of our children I am a very pleased parent

Posted November 20, 2010

If you want a school that's dedicated to the lowest possible acceptable standard, rewards students with "honor roll" for having 70-79pt Cs, and will brainwash your child with "The 7 Habits of Highly Successful People," then Newtown is for you.

Posted August 30, 2010

I think any problems this school has are directly related to the students. The facility is gorgeous and pristine; the equipment is up-to-date and well-utilized; the teaching staff is superb! That being said, my child has had considerable trouble with bullying and the tiresome, ad nauseum repetition of even the simplest lesson plans. Parents, please HELP your kids. This helps your school.

Posted January 29, 2010

My 3rd grader loves this school. She has been at the tri-campus since kindergarten and we have not had any problems. We have had wonderful teachers evry year.

Posted November 11, 2009

The sad thing is that these reviews are quite old. Newtown Elementary is a diverse student-centered culture where I would be proud to place my own child. It has evolved into what I would consider one of the best schools in the beach.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 1, 2007

My daughter started this school recently and I have to say that this is a horrible school. They do not know how to occupy the kids with things. they call me all the time about the smallest things and I am like wow, you called me for that. I plan on transfering my kid once the year is up.

Posted June 22, 2005

Since coming to Newtown Road Elementary, I have found it to be a very inviting school. The staff and students are both welcoming. the programs go above and beyond what I have seen at other schools. The SOL night that is held each year is a true extravaganza! Students needs are met ech day by kind, compassionate teachers. Teachers are always willing to go the extra mile and stay late for student events and programs. They are also always willing to give all they have for a student in need.
—Submitted by a staff

Posted February 7, 2005

I have a niece and nephew who attend Newtown Road Elementary. They Love it there! They have many caring and wonderful teachers who always look out for them. The Teachers are Outstanding! The School has many great programs for the students like math night, SOL night, afterschool tutoring, and Early Discoveries. The teachers go out of their way to make science come alive with hands on activities. The Teachers often buy additional supplies for the students because parents can't do so. I am very fortunate that my niece and nephew have such a wonderful and safe place to learn. My hat goes off to you!

Posted January 31, 2005

This school is HORTIBLE! I cant believe they are still allowed to teach! Teachers are rude and loud, very brass. They even stand up on the stage with a microphone pointing individuals out to be quiet! It's very disturbing. My son was threatened with his life - in KINDERGARTEN! Nothing was done - how sad is this? This school has an extremely high percentage of kids receiving free/reduced meals - this only shows that the area is in poverty. Nothing wrong with that but does the school need to act like it? This school is about as ghetto as they come. It is THE worst school I have ever been a part of and am VERY ashamed my boys had to go there for one year. BEWARE, VIOLENCE IS PREVELANT HERE! Teachers are cold & callus!

Posted September 27, 2004

I feel as if some of the teachers just don't care about the children they are teaching. Last year my six year old daughter had some of her supplies stolen when she told the teacher who it was that has been taking her things the teacher said well you need to work it out on your own, as if she was an adult. Plus when I contacted the school no one ever called me back or responed to my letters. Thankfully a new teacher came in after the holidays.

Posted January 15, 2004

There are teachers with attitudes. I had to fight hard to get the extra help needed to help my son. The more I showed up at school, the tougher they got on my son. I feel his teacher is stressed out and unhappy, with this combination, how can a child learn? I feel as though I have to be a full time teacher at home in order for my son to be successful in school.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 72% in 2013.

196 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 87% in 2012.

205 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

193 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 84% in 2013.

210 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests to assess students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, writing in grades 5 and 8, and science in grades in 3, 5 and 8. The SOL tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

English: Reading

Students without disabilities91%
Limited English proficient studentsn/a
Proficient in English89%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. Data is not reported when there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school.

Source: Virginia Department of Education

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

• Mrs. Lavern Chatman
Fax number
  • (757) 493-5461

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now