Plaza Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1097 students

Student diversity

Extended care

The school has not provided this information yet.

Posted September 2, 2014

Plaza MYP has been very good for my son, although it can certainly be challenging. I've enjoyed seeing him grow and develop and realize his own potential through being part of such a distinctive program. The leadership is disturbingly liberal, allowing some age-inappropriate material to be shown in an English class. They also have not always done a great job of providing the best instruction-- something that an Academy school should deliver. But all in all, it has been a good experience, one that I would highly recommend for the right type of student.

Posted January 8, 2014

I am a student at Plaza and I think it is a good school but the relationships between the IB and zoned kids royally suck. I think the teachers are great but if they could just stop treating the two groups so differently...

Posted December 31, 2013

I am a student at plaza and I think that it's a school with many talented teachers but it also has a lot of faults.It's true the school is poor and teachers buy equipment.The teachers spend their money to buy pencils and rulers which are simply a must have at any school.it's pathetic that the school cannot afford them. I personally didn't like the principal but this year we have a new one though I don't know him enough to judge. I think the school has its level of punishment directed towards the wrong things. I pity the teachers at times because of how horrid the students are but the teachers don't do much about it. Because of this there is not enough respect.if youre a teacher it isn't a good idea to be dull and boring.if you care about your students' success than keep it interesting!this school isn't fair cuz a group/class/team/grade are punished for a few students' screw-ups.the custodians should be replaced because it's filthy! I found a rat trap next to the bleachers in the gym during p.e.!Money is wasted.The students are out of control but that's the parents' fault. Raise your kids correctly people! I wouldn't recommend plaza cause honestly they don't know what they're doing.

Posted October 29, 2013

I now have my 2nd child at Plaza middle school and I will say I am surprised how great it has turned out. When my oldest was to go to Plaza I was not thrilled. I grew up in VA Beach and know Plaza reputation, but I will say I was surprised by the quality of teachers at this school. If I had an issue or concern a teacher would contact me back either my email or with a call back. My oldest went here without knowing anyone because we had sent him out of district for elementary and I will say by the end of the 1st nine weeks he has a lot of friends, and most he still knows now. The chorus program is excellent and like all schools it has it problems but as long as you keep up with your child you will have no problems

Posted June 8, 2013

I am a current 8th grader in the MYP program at Plaza. Let me say, that this school is most definitely the worst I have ever attended. The administrators are so rude and unprofessional, eating constantly and only using their work computers for lunch groupons. The school 'policies' are pulled out of thin air, nothing is in writing and evenly enforced. It really depends on how connected you are as to how often you get in trouble. The dress code is entirely too strict and unevenly enforced, often resulting in the same hundreds of girls (only girls) in the office, with the most horrid woman on the face of the earth, the discipline assistant. Also, there is a common hatred of MYP students throughout the whole school from other students and from the administration. This school is all about ruling with an iron fist, I assure you that your child will never receive mercy, regardless of the situation. Please, save yourself, save your child, don't go to Plaza.

Posted May 26, 2013

I am an 8th grader at Plaza Middle School and I have enjoyed being at PMS every since I first came there in the 7th grade. The teachers are very nice and reliable and trustworthy and I thank God for both the students and teachers.

Posted April 29, 2013

Turns out this school is great. Every school has its problems. The way I see it, the good outweighs the bad. My son is doing excellent as a 6th grader. The teachers care for their students progress. What I mean by that is, if your student is on the brink of getting low scores in any given subject, parents are notified and, they go the extra mile to make sure your child gets the help he/she deserves. My husband and I have no complaints.

Posted September 21, 2012

I am currently in 8th grade at Plaza Middle School and I can't say that I'm happy at this school. First off, we learned that the only reason MYP is at Plaza is so we can bring up test scores. That didn't work so well because I think at least half the 7th graders last year barely passed the Algebra 1 SOL. Second, the students on the non-MYP side and even some on the MYP are very rude. People will trample you in the hallways and scream offensive words. The after school activities, I can say, are great. The student activities coordinator is wonderful as are the teachers. However, sometimes the teachers do not punish students for acting against school policy. The MYP program is great as well. With MYP you get a lot of homework though, that's the biggest downside of the program. As for the regular school's education i can't say because I wasn't in it.

Posted July 6, 2012

I am a uprising 8th grade MYP at PMS. For my first two years at Plaza I was a "Regular Student" and strongly disliked the MYP's after hearing rumors about what they said or did to other people and that was wrong because us "regular students" think that we are being treated differently from the MYP students but we really weren't. Then I had a little brother who came into Plaza as a MYP in 6th grade. I was in 7 th grade at the time. Every day he had something new to share with our family and I had very little the sometimes do give the MYP's more than other students because the deserve they worked for it. Half the regular students are not hard workers, bullies, or just plain out disrespectful to everyone including teachers. Those teachers even though they know they are being disrespected do nothing about which is making the troublemakers think that it is ok when it is not. Overall I think that Plaza is a great school but is separated by how smart you are or if your an MYP or not no one is any little bit different from someone else and Plaza needs to be one school. Other than the enforcement of rules it is a very good school. I would certainly send my child there.

Posted July 10, 2011

I was a student in the MYP program at Plaza. The teachers were great and the athletic team made it fun, but the students there are so mean. Maybe it was people in my grade but the girls were just terrible, maybe because it was middle school. Anyway, it was difficult for me to fit in because I was the only one coming from my elementary school. If your child is going to go there and is the only one from their school make sure they get involved and make friends.

Posted June 10, 2011

My son went to Plaza Middle school and Loved it. Plaza have a great staff as well as, Principle. As a parent, I can really say they care about their students. Many go far out of their way to help. (especially Mr. Whitman, I can't thank you enought for starting the plaza phi beta Gents club. It helped with my son's grades and confidence.)

Posted October 9, 2010

Plaza is a great school with a variety of students. The staff and administration are committed to the success of all students and work tirelessly at that goal.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 21, 2010

Plaza Middle houses several exceptional programs that are inspirational to the students. AVID which motivates kids at risk and the MYP program which supports kids that excel.

Posted August 15, 2009

i am an uprising 8th grader at plaza middle school. i really love this school! it provides a lot of us students. like for me. i am in the avid program. to help me with my colage aplication and to do beter in school. i dont think our parents really see how good this school is becuase of the people in the past. it really isnt a bad school at all. there are good teachers good students and all of that. out of all of the schools here in Va beach. i would choose Plaza. people may call it a gheto school. but its not at all. were just a little tight on money. so dont judge the school unlesss you are a student. oh! also! our sports are good! and the MYP program is awesome! im not in it but i have friends in it.
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 28, 2008

I myself am a 7th grade MYP student attending Plaza. I find that the program in PMS is amazing- I would reccomend it to any student that is hard-working and likes a challenge. But, the actual Plaza Middle is only OK to me. The MYP and 'Regular Plaza' students' rules are the same, but differently enforced. For example, we have the same dress code, but if a MYP student wears something we are not supposed to, we have to call home and change. But if a 'regular plaza' student wears something we are not supposed to, they are not forced to change. I do not know if it is because MYP students' expectations are higher, but, it still seems unjust to me.
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 15, 2008

I am truly disapointed with Plaza. I am a parent of a rising 8th grader and the past two years at Plaza have been the worst of my sons school career. As a former student of Plaza myself I can say the school has not changed since I attended there in the 80's. There is severe issues with supervision and disipline. I have a gifted disabled child and there is no program in place to meet his needs. The pricipal Ms. Warren is the worst I have ever seen. She does not know what goes on in her school. I have since pulled my child from the school and is currently home schooled. Plaze needs to take a hard look and their school and try to make changes before any of my other children will attend.

Posted June 25, 2008

My two children attend the Middle Years Program at Plaza and we have been very happy with the program. The approach to learning is varied and creative. The teachers are involved and caring and responsive. My kids work hard but haven't found the work load overwhelming or too difficult. The school is clean and run well. I would highly recommend this program. We chose to send our children here instead of to private school because we feel it is equally as good academically and better rounded socially.

Posted June 9, 2008

I have two children in the MYP at Plaza Middle and have been thrilled with the program, the school, the teachers, and the administrators. Our children work hard but they love school and are learning quality material. They still have time to participate in activities and they are very busy. The teachers are extremely responsive and get back to me immediately about any concerns. My daughter comments about how fast the days go by and they both love school. The teachers know my students personally and know their strengths and weaknesses and are willing to work with them to develop their own learning style.

Posted June 9, 2008

I am a parent of two Daughters in the Middle Years Program, one in 6th grade and one in 7th grade. The MYP is excellent. The children are encouraged to hold themselves to a higher standard of behavior, academic achievement and social involvement. The degree of knowledge the staff has about my children, including teachers, receptionists and administrators, amazes me. If I thought my children in were in danger I would put them in private school. My children have become better students and better members of their community. I appluad the MYP program at Plaza Middle.

Posted December 26, 2007

I am the parent of a 6th grade MYP student . The MYP teachers and advisors have been great with communication and very helpful and the IB program is very sound. However, the stress my child has experienced as a result of transitioning into middle school and dealing with bullying has not been so wonderful. The student combination is a bad mix. Safety is an issue. My child will be switching schools.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 74% in 2013.

356 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 86% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

163 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests to assess students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, writing in grades 5 and 8, and science in grades in 3, 5 and 8. The SOL tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 75% in 2013.

336 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 88% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

160 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 71% in 2013.

315 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 70% in 2013.

329 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 88% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

255 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

334 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students81%

Students with disabilities35%
Students without disabilities56%
Proficient in English54%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. Data is not reported when there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school.

All Students82%

Students with disabilities50%
Students without disabilities82%
Proficient in English80%

Source: Virginia Department of Education

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 76% in 2013.

300 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 76% in 2013.

113 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) End-of-Course tests to assess students in reading, writing, math, science and history/social science subjects at the end of each course, regardless of the student's grade level. The SOL End-of-Course tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. High school students must pass at least six SOL End-of-Course tests to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Algebra I

Students with disabilitiesn/a
Students without disabilities99%
Proficient in English99%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Teacher resources

Librarian/media specialist(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Nurse(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

• Gym

• Dr. Violet B. Hoyle
Fax number
  • (757) 431-5331

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Standards-based

Staff resources available to students
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered