Princess Anne Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1390 students

Student diversity

Extended care

The school has not provided this information yet.

Posted April 4, 2014

Princess Anne Middle has some great teachers and overall does a great job with its students. My problem is that it does a terrible job with minority students. It not only allows them to be bullied and ostracized, the administration is complicit in the actions. You are not allowed to be different in any way at PA Middle without students and faculty coming down hard on you.

Posted August 11, 2010

I have had children in this school since 2004 and bought our house specifically in this district for PA Middle. A strength for the school is that most of the children come from families where education is valued; however, a lot of the students come from families that have "too much disposable income" and the students often have a "been there, done that" attitude. The gifted program has steadily improved in the past four years and is one of the strongest at the Beach. There is some inequity between the amount of rigor and use of "different" strategies between gifted cores on a grade level. School activities seem to center around sports--not enough active clubs for students to lead. SCA and NJHS do most of the "activities" for the students. An excellent principal for the past three years, but he has been promoted. New principal has a great reputation.

Posted May 19, 2010

I forgot one thing(I'm the seventh grader from the last post)I have a friend that is in special ed and is also in seventh grade and he's complained a lot to me at my house and at the bus about what it's like to be in special ed and how he doesn't like it.He said that he hasn't gotten to an exploratory all year and he was taken out of his in the first quarter of is first one.He needs some time out of the same thing,to have some fun for a change.He also says how his special ed English teacher is very annoying along with one of the kids he goes to almost every class with.He thinks he should be in some other position and I think the same.I for one would probably the only one to stand up for a friend like this for HIS advantages instead of mine.

Posted March 14, 2010

I am a seventh grade student that goes to PAMS and I am in the gifted cluster with some of the best teachers for the grade. It is a good education but I do have some cons. The gifted teachers teach you well and make you learn fast but overload you with work every day. You get 2 - 5 projects a week, and this is not an exaggeration. But I get over this by implementing time management on like other students that just wait until the last moment and then fail. Another con is that their is no discipline, today a teacher got cussed out in front of the whole class and the student got away without getting in trouble, it spread all around the school and this teacher is now a laughing stock. Another thing is that kids here have sex, do drugs, and have broken kids spines here.

Posted October 23, 2009

As a student at PAMS for 2 year so far, I am overall pleased with the school. The large majority of the teachers are very nice and do a great job of teaching the students. The gifted program is amazing and I feel I have finally been challenged after many different schools from moving. It has a few downsides, and the exploratories should be a bit harder, but besides that, I would greatly recommend this school to anyone!

Posted April 29, 2009

I love PA i have been with them since 2004 i have one that move up to high school and two in PA another child that will be their in two years. PA has excellent teachers and they are very helpful. The staff is very pleasant. they have a excellent program for the kids.and many after school activities also. i would love to have all kids go their.

Posted February 25, 2009

I am a 6th grader at PA middle. So far this school has been really great! The teachers always try to make time to tutor when needed. The enviorment seems to be pretty clean and well kept. I have learned a lot at this school and I love that they have a program for gifted students because I think if I were in core class I would be sliding through them with A's it would not be helpful to me. But, with this program I am challenged which is good for me.I do have to say I have been absent a good amount of days this year. The teachers do show fustration when I get back from being out but I try to explain why to them. Sometimes they just don't seem to want to hear. My mom has been very pleased with this school so i recommend sending your kids.

Posted January 30, 2009

I go to PAMS and I am in the eight grade. I love this school so much! Many teachers are great and love to teach and are supportive. Core teams are like families. The eight graders get freedom and fun. However, discipline is horrible. Nobody really gets in huge trouble at PAMS. The teacher's don't stick up for themselves when a student is being rude in their class, interrupting others learning. I was harrassed a few months ago and reported it immediately. They made me fill out an incident report... didn't cut it for us. We went straight to the Superintendent. Now they don't mess with me. But you see, we had to go all the way to get the Superintendent to take care of it! Oh well, I still love this school!

Posted July 3, 2008

I have been more impressed with this school than with other VB schools combined. PAMS teachers seem to really enjoy their work and we have had the fortune of having several identify my son as needing a more advanced/gifted (magnet) program than the school is able to offer him. They recommended gifted testing, and PAMS's guidance counselor has been excellent in assisting us in the process of my son's application to Kemp's Landing Magnet. My daughter (who is not as motivated as my son) has also had commendable teacher involvement. They fully support my desire to hold her accountable on all levels, and are proactive in involving me in potential issues. The administration is actively involved in all aspects of student care and quality of experience. All in all, there is a great learning environment fostered at PAMS.

Posted March 27, 2008

I am student that goes to PA and i will say that it is a good school, but i will have to add in the low points too. The teachers are nice and all but some i have aren't very supportive and don't help as much. if you get picked on there not much that the guidence will do, you have to go strait to the princeabels, sp, The exploratories are fun and are a great way to learn new things, but in P.E. you wish there was more to do, you generally do the same lesson that week, and girls don't get to play as much as the guys do for PE beacuse they seperate always by sex, so it gets boring. Lunch is stressful, you don't get to sit were yo want, you have to be called up to eat, and then you only have 5 minutes to eat,you,are,rushed,to,eat.

Posted November 8, 2007

At PAMS, most of the teachers are commited to our learning. As a students there for 2 years, PAMS seems alot cleaner since the new priciple, Mr. Pohle, came this year. But, I dont feel very safe 2 PAMS, as all but some are not locked during the day, my saftey is a big issue to me and my fellow school family. I enjoy going to school there, and look forward to beggining my last year there, and i will be proud to tell anyone that I went, and is going to< PAMS> THANK YOU

Posted August 10, 2007

Princess Anne Middle School is a really goood school. I would recommend this school to kids that are just going to middle school. Alot of the teachers are very nice and supportive. I'm only going to seventh grade, but I like this school very much eventhough its old.

Posted August 9, 2007

Some good and bad about this school. The education there is pretty good. Good marks for the teachers, very poor ones for how this school is run.

Posted November 15, 2006

I would not recommend this school to anyone. I am a former student there and the teachers are no help. While I attended I saw a lot of kids get bullied. The school is also very old and it seems like everything is breaking down. So once again I recommend not to send your kids there, you could probably find a better school in that area.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 18, 2006

I will admit that Princess Anne Middle School does have a wide variety of extracurricular activities. They provide a loving and enjoyable learning enviroment. Though the school itself is much different. The teachers were often unsuporative, and when the student was faced with a problem almost never got any help. You don't have to worry about your child's saftey though because they have cameras in every part of the school (except the bathrooms and lockerooms) watching your child's every aspect. A lot of notice is brought to the principal's about rumours which may be a harm rather then the actual harm itself. They often hide information or provide it after parental compliants. You can never be completely sure what is going on in that school. My advice is to send them there but make sure you are always involved.

Posted February 17, 2006

I am very pleased with PAMS. Our family relocated to a new home in order for my son to attend this school. The school is very student oriented, safe, and a great place for preteens and teens to mature. I would have liked to seen a few more energetic teachers...especially in the social studies area, but I have been satisfied with the staff. I've volunteered with this school, and feel that there is a strong professionalism amoungst teachers, staff, and specialists. I feel like an integral part of the educational process at this school. Princess Anne Middle School seems to be doing everything right!

Posted January 23, 2006

This school is incredible. I was so happy my sons attended during their middle school years. The test scores are very high and the music programs are top quality.

Posted December 2, 2005

After having one child go to PAMS for two years, then being transferred out of the area, my opinion of the school is that it's extremely mediocre. There are some wonderful, dedicated, enthusiastic teachers. But we also found that there are lots of bored, waiting for retirement, do the bare minimum teachers. The principal has a huge heart and truly puts in 100% effort as do all the administrative staff. I found that student attitude tends to be rude and apathetic, even in the advanced classes. There's a lack of discipline at this school which results in an overall lack of respect for the adults. I thought this was just how kids this age behave nowadays until we transferred to our new school and I realized if kids are expected to be respectful and maintain self control, then they will. I think PAMS would benefit from implementing and enforcing these ideas.

Posted February 19, 2005

As a parent who is also a teacher, I feel that the staff at PAMS is inconsistent. Some will respond to my emails, others never do. I feel that the writing curriculum is not being emphasized enough and am beginning to worry about my child's scores when the 8th grade SOL's come around. I have been working with my child at home to help with writing. As for the student body, I feel my child is safe and has been enjoying the middle school experience. My child is a bit disappointed about re-districting, but realizes it will mean smaller classes next year at Kellam. I hope our experience at Kellam is as positive, if not moreso, than it has been at PAMS.

Posted October 4, 2003

Princess Anne Middle School on the whole is a good school. The core concept is a great idea and helps give the feeling of smallness and familiarity in such a big setting. My wish would be that the middle schools would be smaller, but it's not possible. The administration and office staff is among the best we've ever had the pleasure of working with.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 74% in 2013.

438 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 86% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

306 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests to assess students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, writing in grades 5 and 8, and science in grades in 3, 5 and 8. The SOL tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 75% in 2013.

507 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 88% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

415 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 71% in 2013.

467 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 70% in 2013.

467 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 88% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

218 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

466 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students89%

Students with disabilities67%
Students without disabilities90%
Proficient in English88%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. Data is not reported when there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school.

All Students83%

Students with disabilities43%
Students without disabilities90%
Proficient in English87%

Source: Virginia Department of Education

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 76% in 2013.

360 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 76% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) End-of-Course tests to assess students in reading, writing, math, science and history/social science subjects at the end of each course, regardless of the student's grade level. The SOL End-of-Course tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. High school students must pass at least six SOL End-of-Course tests to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Algebra I

Black studentsn/a
Hispanicn/a
Multiracialn/a
White students100%
Students identified as economically disadvantagedn/a
Not economically disadvantaged100%
Students with disabilitiesn/a
Students without disabilities100%
Proficient in English100%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Teacher resources

Librarian/media specialist(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Nurse(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

• Gym

• Mr. Alex Bergren
Fax number
  • (757) 430-0972

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Standards-based

Staff resources available to students
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered