Thalia Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 646 students

Student diversity

Posted April 17, 2014

My family and I love Thalia. The teachers really care and take time out with each child. My youngest was having difficulty. The teacher all the way up to specialists worked with my son, husband and myself until he got back on track. We are very pleased.

Posted January 28, 2014

This is truly a terrific school. Although I've read some of the complaints about the pick-up system, I think it has little impact on the quality of education received by the children. I have been very pleased with my children's teachers!

Posted January 14, 2014

My son loved this school :) The kids and teachers were so nice. One incident where my sound was getting bullied on the bus and the school l didn't waste no time handling that...

Posted October 24, 2013

Our story. We moved to Virginia Beach in May of this year. Prior to living here we lived in Norfolk, where the school system is pretty good as well. Unfortunately, my kids did not have a good experience in the Public School they attended. The teachers were still remarkable but my children faced what most students faces today. They were bullied and because of the lack of diversity they were not really welcomed. Since moving here and having them attend Thalia Elementary, my heart has been in such a relief. My children LOVE going there and do not feel like that they have to be like everyone else to be there. The school is diverse, friendly and the school teachers and administrators are just awesome. The school really has it together. I have never experienced parent involvement as much as I do here. My kids are finally happy. They have confidence in themselves, and their school. I was blessed to come across a school that actually felt like family. I was equally impressed with how much they are involved with the community as well as our city. My eldest is in 5th grade and my youngest is in 1st, so I look forward to the coming years. As I am sure they are looking forward to it as well.

Posted February 21, 2012

my daughter has had a great experience at Thahlia and we are very happy there

Posted September 23, 2011

Dropping the kids off at school in the morning and afternoons is a nightmare... they need to come up with a better system.. The bell rings at 2:30, please tell me why I am waiting in my car for 45 mins to pick up my son.. Malibu, has a great system.. they make the parents have signs made for parent pick up, and they walk to the cars write down the names, and then they release the children to the parents...Thalia really it shouldn't take you guys 45 min to release a child, I can do it faster for you. Also, read the signs and not say out loud I DON'T KNOW WHO THIS PERSON IS.. it just makes the parent upset.... Also, the office staff, needs to be little nicer to the parents, it seems to me that always are stuck up when I come up there. makes me think how they interact with the students???

Posted August 16, 2011

What a great school and staff. We had an issue with another child in the classroom and the teacher and the staff corrected the problem.

Posted June 28, 2011

This will be my second year of teaching at Thalia Elementary. I had previously taught in the Norfolk Public School system and had a terrible experience. Thankfully, working at Thalia has been a wonderful experience and I'm proud to be a VBCPS employee. This school has a reputation that everyone is treated like family. This is true! Thalia has supportive parents, excellent teachers, and friendly staff. I can't wait to start the 2011-2012 school year. Many teachers were crying as the buses pulled away for summer vacation. We are so proud of all our kids!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 29, 2009

During 1st and 2nd grade the experience at Thalia was wonderful for us and our daughter. The 3rd grade, however, has been challenging. The teachers have been awsome but her classmates are very disruptive. These days when kids are disruptive the whole class gets punished. I'd like to see more individual discipline (principal/parent notification) for those kids that are disruptive so the kids that are being good are not punished, not to mention distracted from learning. The no child left behind rule must have consequences for bad behavior.

Posted May 28, 2009

My son is a student at Thalia and has had a WONDERFUL 2 years there. The teachers are excellent and keep a good line of communication with the parents to keep them involved.

Posted May 27, 2009

I'm not sure the test scores listed are accurate. Thalia is a great school. My daughter is in second grade there and we have nothing but good things to say about it. The staff is attentive and welcoming, the parents are involved and the environment is inviting and conducive to learning.

Posted April 7, 2009

My daughter is enrolled in kindergarten at Thalia, and for the most part, I have been pleased with her teachers and her progress in the classroom. However, I am afraid that my interaction with the administrative staff left quite a bit to be desired. Mrs. Simeone was rude and spoke to me as if I were ten years old. The office staff was very rude and insulting when I asked a simple question. I have never felt welcomed as a parent should at Thalia, unlike my daughter's previous school. I wanted to walk my child to class, and I was stopped like I was a common criminal. I feel very disconnected from the overall climate of the school, but I love her teacher and that helps me to allow her to stay.

Posted January 29, 2009

I have two children enrolled at Thalia who have attended since kindergarten. I have always been very pleased with the teachers, staff, and administration. There appeared to be a very smooth transition several years ago when many staff members left to open a new Virginia Beach school. Mrs. Short, who is often the first point of contact, is always friendly when greeting school visitors. The office staff is also very welcoming and helpful. Indeed, I have never walked down the hallway without someone greeting me with a smile and/or a hello. If I have ever had a question or concern, teachers have responded promptly, and I know that Mr. Timlin and Mrs. Simeone are always available to parents through email, telephone, or a conference. Thalia's PTA has improved over the last two years and has provided Thalia students with many programs and resources. Parental involvement is crucial!

Posted May 24, 2007

I have really enjoyed my daughter going to Thalia. The teachers are so helpful and kind. I go have lunch and help out in class once a week. I wanted to see how the kids and the teachers interact with each other. Mr. Timlin and Mrs. Simione are great leaders. Their hands are on top of all issues. They take pride in their school and it shows. I think more parents need to take a couple days a month and visit their kid at lunch to know first hand what happens in their kids school. It is easy to complain about something you only know about secondhand. Our kids at Thalia are lucky to be going to such a wonderful school. It is up to the parents to maintain involvement in their kids school careers and who their friends are. Make it personal--it is!! Nice job Thalia!!

Posted March 18, 2007

I think the principal has done a fine job. And I believe that the lunch line wait has gone down dramatically since the children are giving their money in the morning. If you think that badly about this school then do something about it. We hardly have a PTA. Our parent involvement is awful and I am talking about myself also. I do not go to PTA meetings, but I am going to start.

Posted November 1, 2006

This school has gone downhill in a big way. The Principal is out of touch with the parents. The classes are over crowded. I have had lunch with my child on numerous occasions, it has taken as long as 25 minutes to get through the line. I am highly disappointed with Thalia Elementary with the exception of the quality of the teachers. They are top notch, unfortunately the rest of the school does not come close to measuring up.

Posted May 25, 2004

My son is about to finish kindergarten. I have no problem recommending this school. The school is just the right size, the classes are in great shape, and the location is prime. They are located in a nice section of town right next to a firehouse and across the street from a church. There is a nice playground in the back of the school as well as a ball diamond. The principal and some student helpers are there greeting the students and helping them out of the cars every morning when I drop my son off. The PTA is very active. There are meetings and school functions all the time. As far as keeping me informed, my son brings home a folder everyday telling me what they are doing, what homework they need to do, and what they will be doing for the next week. Great communication.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 72% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 87% in 2012.

99 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 84% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests to assess students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, writing in grades 5 and 8, and science in grades in 3, 5 and 8. The SOL tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 70% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 84% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 73% in 2013.

107 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 71% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 89% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

107 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

108 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students74%

Students with disabilities46%
Students without disabilities82%
Proficient in English77%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. Data is not reported when there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school.

All Students67%

Students with disabilities31%
Students without disabilities73%
Proficient in English67%

Source: Virginia Department of Education

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

Source: Virginia Department of Education

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

421 Thalia Rd