Virginia Beach, VA

Posted April 17, 2015
Second year at this wonderful school! I cannot stop saying how well organized and effective this school is. All teachers are amazing, our experience with 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grade are outstanding. Teachers ,who really love their jobs, go far to provide our children everything they need to succeed. Special education staff is very caring and so cooperative. No signs of bullies or mean kids at all. My children love their school and look forward for every new day there. Principal and Vice principal are very professional and caring. I highly recommend this school for all caring parents. After extensive research, I can truly say I chose the perfect one!
2 people found this helpful

Posted February 19, 2015
My kids transferred here after having a terrible experience at John B. Dey. This school has been amazing! The teachers and staff really care about their students and you get a "home-like" feeling as soon as you walk through their doors. Parent involvement is high and offers a lot of chances to be a part of the school. My daughter went from being friendless and hating school to loving it again and feeling a part of a community. Our other child who started kindergarten also looks forward to school everyday. What a great school!
2 people found this helpful

Posted November 04, 2014
This is our first year here. I am very excited about the culture of the school. The teachers and administration are amazing. The only thing bad I can say about the school is that parking is HORRIBLE. The school is nuzzled in a neighborhood with extremely limited parking. Unless you are staff, you likely are parking blocks away for pick up/drop off or school meetings.

Posted June 11, 2014
I love the small class sizes and the teachers are amazing! My son has a wonderful foundation and love of learning instilled be the teachers and staff at Thoroughgood Elementary.

Posted April 22, 2014
The staff go above and beyond to help the kids succeed! The schools is like our second family. There is a ton of parent involvement, in the classroom and planning after school clubs and activities!

Posted November 20, 2013
We love it.. this is the BEST school my daughters have ever attended. Our experience with the teachers and actually everyone is outstanding. You will never regret bringing your child to this school. We miss thoroughgood elementary school.

Posted January 25, 2011
A Wonderful school!! The teachers and staff are caring and involved. My daughter loves going to school. The first grade teachers are very caring and involved. Regular communication with teachers and my child feels challenged and nurtured. Have a very bright child and the teachers are more than willing to work with us to ensure that she is receiving enrichment and learning. Very pleased. Tons of ways to be involved.

Posted April 08, 2010
My child attended TES for one year. At the time, they permitted team teaching in first grade. He thrived there. The specials (PE, art, music) were wonderful. The PTA offered excellent programs to foster family involvement. Our favorites were Family 1 mile run/walk; Fall Festival; Bingo Night. The school was well organized. The staff and volunteers were always welcoming and kind. My child was excited to go to school and learn and we enjoyed the opportunities the school provided for us to get involved. (Citizen of the Month celebrations, too) The school itself is old and shows signs of aging, but the dynamism in the classrooms keeps the atmosphere fresh and alive.

Thoroughgood Elementary School 0

Posted August 09, 2009
Parents don't seem to realize that the decisions of the teachers and principal are based off what is best for the child. This is an amazing school with great teachers and a principal who goes above and beyond to make each student feel special and reach his or her full potential. I will make sure to stay in this district until each of my kids are through elementary school.

Posted January 24, 2009
This is an excellent school that takes the time to get to know the students and the families. It is a tight-knit neighborhood school with activities for children with a wide variety of interests. The principal and assistant principal sincerely care about the concerns of the parents. I have two children at the school and am so pleased with the challenging education they are receiving.

Thoroughgood Elementary School
1444 Dunstan Ln, Virginia Beach, VA  23455
Last modified Thoroughgood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Thoroughgood Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top