Virginia Beach, VA

Posted November 04, 2014
This is our first year here. I am very excited about the culture of the school. The teachers and administration are amazing. The only thing bad I can say about the school is that parking is HORRIBLE. The school is nuzzled in a neighborhood with extremely limited parking. Unless you are staff, you likely are parking blocks away for pick up/drop off or school meetings.

Posted June 11, 2014
I love the small class sizes and the teachers are amazing! My son has a wonderful foundation and love of learning instilled be the teachers and staff at Thoroughgood Elementary.

Posted May 14, 2014
I have been very impressed and pleased with the school staff and community. Our two children blossomed in the Thoroughgood elementary environment. Our special need child received everything I was looking for to provide him with the right tools to overcome his limits and be successful. I could have not chosen a better school for my children. Principal, Vice Principal and teachers are terrific. My experience with second and third grade is awesome. I would highly recommend this school to anyone. Also the PTA and community is wonderful, plenty of activities and such a nice organization!

Posted April 22, 2014
The staff go above and beyond to help the kids succeed! The schools is like our second family. There is a ton of parent involvement, in the classroom and planning after school clubs and activities!

Posted November 20, 2013
We love it.. this is the BEST school my daughters have ever attended. Our experience with the teachers and actually everyone is outstanding. You will never regret bringing your child to this school. We miss thoroughgood elementary school.

Posted January 25, 2011
A Wonderful school!! The teachers and staff are caring and involved. My daughter loves going to school. The first grade teachers are very caring and involved. Regular communication with teachers and my child feels challenged and nurtured. Have a very bright child and the teachers are more than willing to work with us to ensure that she is receiving enrichment and learning. Very pleased. Tons of ways to be involved.

Posted April 08, 2010
My child attended TES for one year. At the time, they permitted team teaching in first grade. He thrived there. The specials (PE, art, music) were wonderful. The PTA offered excellent programs to foster family involvement. Our favorites were Family 1 mile run/walk; Fall Festival; Bingo Night. The school was well organized. The staff and volunteers were always welcoming and kind. My child was excited to go to school and learn and we enjoyed the opportunities the school provided for us to get involved. (Citizen of the Month celebrations, too) The school itself is old and shows signs of aging, but the dynamism in the classrooms keeps the atmosphere fresh and alive.

Thoroughgood Elementary School 0

Posted August 09, 2009
Parents don't seem to realize that the decisions of the teachers and principal are based off what is best for the child. This is an amazing school with great teachers and a principal who goes above and beyond to make each student feel special and reach his or her full potential. I will make sure to stay in this district until each of my kids are through elementary school.

Posted January 24, 2009
This is an excellent school that takes the time to get to know the students and the families. It is a tight-knit neighborhood school with activities for children with a wide variety of interests. The principal and assistant principal sincerely care about the concerns of the parents. I have two children at the school and am so pleased with the challenging education they are receiving.

Thoroughgood Elementary School 3

Posted October 14, 2008
I have concern about the work load the children recieve for homework. The amount of projects and the overall teacher attention that the children get. Homework in just about every subject every night gives the children no down time. The required reading and projects make the family time scarce. There is no time left for any extra activies without the race against the clock. My biggest question remains unanswered with how homework effects their precious SOL scores. My child did very well on the SOL and still has at least 2 hours of homework a night.

Thoroughgood Elementary School
1444 Dunstan Ln, Virginia Beach, VA  23455
Last modified Thoroughgood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Thoroughgood Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top