Posted April 14, 2014
This is my daughter's first year. She is part of the art program at VB middle and loves it. She likes all of her teachers. Office staff and nurse are very courteous and professional.

Posted October 26, 2013
This was my sons first year at this school and being new to the area he was trying to make friends but instead my son was bullied and so on the resources was no help after the first month of complaining about the bullying about 3weeks of attending my son was jumped by several students after getting off the bus with a friend he was a target for being the new one to the area it was all planned by those students and a video of my sons beating was posted on you tube they allow the kids to walk home without the parents knowing!!! Which was a great concern if they weren't in walking distance you are as adults are suppose to make sure t these kid's get on there right bus and no other on several occasions I found out my son was taunt so much he was afraid to get on the bus so he would walk risking his life to predators out there and was to afraid to say anything about it so as quick as possible I put him in private school yet he hasn't adjusted yet because all the things he endured at VBMS I would say what looks good may not be good your child is not safe there don't trust the smiles the teachers give it's for show only Don't take your child to this school look into other's first!

Virginia Beach Middle School 4

Posted January 31, 2013
I have taught at this school for many years. I love this school, the students, my coworkers, and thre administration. It was truly a neighborhood school until the visual arts program moved in. I think having a student in a school with less than 1000 students is a good thing. I have had opportunities to go to other schools but chose to stay here because I love the school and its family. I am shocked that so many people have such negative feelings towards us. I love my students and I work hard to try to see that each one gets a quality education.

Posted January 29, 2013
Don't believe the hype that this is good school. New facilities are nice, but that does not equate to a good education. Our child never had homework or had to study and still seemed to always be on the honor roll. It is sad to see how far the public school system has fallen. On a good day this school cannot begin to provide the same level of education as a private school. Peer pressure is intense. Those who don't conform are bullied regularly. My child did learn all the " stuff" that you wouldn't want them to know or see. As a concerned parent I feel it is my duty to warn you. I can't directly tell you in this forum without being censored. It is up to you to do your homework and protect your child. The administration and especially the vice principle don't care. It is really quite disturbing. There are some caring teachers at the school. There are good kids at the school. But there is a bad element too. Compound this with a clear lack caring for the individual, which is in stark contrast to a smaller school environment and what you get is not good. In hindsight, I wish my daughter had stayed in catholic school. Caveat emptor.

Posted January 18, 2013
I had five children go through this school in the past 12 years. If I could afford private school, my children would of gone to private school. The only good thing they had going for them was their band director who has consequently left for another school (you can only guess why). The bullying is an awful problem. I will agree with the other review. The administration is horrible! And yes, the teachers do a lot of yelling. However, there is one caring, smart and loving teacher in the Math department. If it wasn't for him my daughter's middle school years would have been a nightmare.

Posted May 24, 2012
I have had two children attend this school. Bullying was been a big problem. Guidance department is terrible for helping anyone and actually decide without discussion who is wrong. Second child had a good 6th grade but after that it has gotten worse each year. The principal and teachers apparently believe screaming is an effective teaching tool. They love to group kids together for projects so that the one challenged student brings down everyone's grades. Now I hear a teacher is bribing students with donuts if they all pass the SOL, which is so wrong in many ways with obesity and why a kid should do their best. I have nothing good to say about this school. I agree with other posters that the staff is big on gossiping about the students, very unprofessional. The VP, school RN and activity coordinator are great. The Visual Arts program is an exceptional opportunity but too bad it is in the school, which although new feels like a prison. Most families in this area who are financially able send their kids to private school or attend one of the middle school academies. The teachers really are very immature and need help in learning how to motivate without yelling, threats

Posted June 25, 2011
This was an amazing school!! I attended it for the 2010-2011 school year. It was just built last summer, so everything is new. The teachers are kind and try there best to help the students (like me) who want to achieve there goals. The students are great too and try their best in all of their classes. The administrative staff are great at keeping the school safe. The best part is that they have a wide selection of classes and electives to fit your special needs. Virginia Beach Middle has also taken in the ODC Art Program and that makes it convienent for everyone! (including me) This is a great school and I recomend it for all students in Virginia Beach.

Posted September 14, 2010
This school is the worst school ever!! The staff is lacking in communication and management. Highly recommended to find somewhere else for your child!

Posted April 15, 2010
This is my first year at VBMS and it has to be the worst school i have ever been to in my life. THe teachers gossip alot and there are alot of bullies

Posted April 10, 2010
This is my first year and so far it has went great. I was able to achieve many of my goals and there are many great teachers. We are now in the brand new school, but it is just too big.

Virginia Beach Middle School
600 25th St, Virginia Beach, VA  23451
Last modified Virginia Beach Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Virginia Beach Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top