Green Run High School

Public | 9-12 | 1501 students

Our school is best known for its close-knit community and strong alumni support.

Posted August 14, 2014

Green Run High School is a family. Green Run has always been looked down upon by the other schools in the district for it's past; however, we are not the same school we were back then. Most students in Virginia Beach that say Green Run is a bad school have never gone to that school. The teachers here take the time to really connect with the students and they genuinely care about us. I'm not going to say that the student population is perfect because it's not, but in Green Run we stick together as a whole. I'm going to be a senior this year and I couldn't be more proud to say I'm graduating from Green Run High School.

Posted July 3, 2014

Has be a great school . 2 graduated with honors near straight A students. Both moved on to college one with a bachelors degree and one working on a bachelors degree. 3 child first year great grades and on the number one JROTC in the state and top 8 in the nation. The school has turned a complete 180 degrees from years ago and I have lived in the district since 1987. The low rating needs to be review because it is inaccurate.

Posted January 9, 2014

I am glad to spend my first year of high school at Green Run High. I love going to this school everyday and I'm proud to be a Green Run Stallion.

Posted April 25, 2013

I have had the same issue. Multiple calls to the school with no response. They quote that they want parent involvement but there is a lack of follow through

Posted June 28, 2012

Green run has one of the BEST NJROTC program in the nation! No joke ... The unit has been National Champions three time in a row, 2009, 2010, and 2011, and has participate in every State Championship as far I can remember. The unit is Very dedicated to Community, school and the student, and it offers Air Rifle team, Academic team, Athletic team (running relay track, pushup and sit-up teams), and several drill teams, and Color Guard teams. The goal of the program to teach Leadership and Citizenship and to instill self-discipline and confidence and to help the student find a career path whether is the military or college, or other. Also the school is proud of the program and supported 100%. The cadets in the program and its instructors have created a very mature learning environment for the school. Highly recommended! Here is their link https://sites.google.com/a/navyjrotc.us/green-run-high-school/

Posted June 25, 2012

Green run is (in my opinion) the best school in the beach. Unlike most of the larger schools, the teachers actually take time to get to know the students and help them out whenever they can. There's so much diversity within this school; from the students, staff, and extra curricular. When a student is actively involved with the school, they feel as if they actually do make a difference, vice being one in a crowd. It's a smaller school, so everyone pretty much knows everyone. Walking down the hall, you'll kind small groups of friends, not cliques. I feel as if i couldn't get a better education anywhere else. I'll be graduating green run with 8 ap credits under my belt, and there definitely isn't a better school to graduate from.

Posted November 10, 2011

Green Run High School was like home to me. I had many teachers, most of whom were alumni of the school themselves, that I respected. The best part about this school was definitely the diversity. It has very strong extra curricular programs. What makes our programs strong is the involvement of the community. I will always be proud of being a stallion!

Posted September 3, 2009

I love green run and our green run pride. Especially the njrotc program. We won fiirst place at area 5 and 15 place at nationals. I recommend this school for any high schooler!!

Posted February 5, 2009

Green Run High School is the finest school in Virginia Beach area. It is not what people make it seem. The teachers there are very determining to make sure that all students do what they have to do to graduate and also pass that specific class. The teachers give you extra help in any subject that you are struggling in. They will also give the students there personal time to help them in that subject by staying back. Green Run High School is proud to have a magnificent principle that makes sure if anything is wrong with the students, school it self, parents or even teachers he will handle it right then and there. He is highly the best principle that attended to Green Run high school .He has made a change at Green Run high school. I m so happy and proud to be attending Green Run.

Posted February 22, 2008

Green Run's Principal seems determined to clarify any misconceptions about Green Run High School, and make going to Green Run a positive experience for students and parents alike. Teachers who really seem to care about their students and the school image have had a huge impact on the school's scores and the students' attitude. My grandson who went to a private school for eight years, was afraid to go to Green Run because of the negative image and information about the school that he was getting from the media, his teachers and even his principal. But now he loves going to Green Run and this is surley reflected in his grades. Green Run is GReat!

Posted May 22, 2007

I have had two children graduate from GRHS. I have one graduating this year, one in 2009 and an upcoming one. I have really liked GRHS. My daughters have been active in Chambers singers and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have been very happy with most of the teachers at this school. There is not a perfect school with perfect teachers anywhere. I rate GRHS up in the top ranks.

Posted January 21, 2007

I have taught at several schools over the past 30 years. Eleven of those years were spent at GRHS. GRHS is the best kept secret in the Beach. It had a great, caring faculty and great students. There have also been some great administrators. No school is perfect. There is no such thing as perfection. The major concern I had with GRHS was the lack of parent involvement. When I say parent involvement, I don't mean coming to school when there's a problem, but taking an active part in your child's education everyday. As a parent, I would send my child to GRHS.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted December 10, 2006

Green Run is such a diverse and friendly environment. The teachers are very helpful and understanding, and they are very informative. Many of the teachers are graduates of Green Run, so they put even more effort into the quality of the school. The music programs at Green Run are very good. The choirs and band have repeatedly won local and state competitions. The football team is not the greatest, but Green Run is known for its basketball and soccer teams. There are so many extra curricular activities available at GR. If your child is not interested in sports, there are academic, fun clubs to join. Also, because the school is very diverse, your child will get to know all kinds of different people with different cultures and backgrounds. This school is definitely the best there is!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 28, 2005

My daughter is a freshman at green run now and she is also using the resource class for learning disabilities, the whole staff is been great with us from the very beginning and had no complaints about the school, I think it depends on the child and the parents to be more involved with their childs education, the staff can only do so much, we as parents need to be more involved with their education. -MP

Posted December 14, 2004

We've had 2 children to graduate from GRHS and it was a struggle. One in which the guidance counselors tried to keep behind again and who the principal didn't want to take extra classes to graduate. Prayerfully, he did graduate after being left behind one year. I did not want my youngest child to come there but this is the school in out district. So far he's doing good except he has an english teacher who can barely speak the english language which makes the class difficult to pass. The students don't usually get the extra help they need. But I plan to be even more involved than before. So parents, if you can get more involved, please do so. Your child(ren) education is at stake. BDT

Posted April 25, 2004

I attempted to contact my daughter's counselor to keep abreast on my child's progress. Being over 1000 miles from her I would assume it would be in both, my daughter's and the school's interest to include me in educational process. I never heard anything from the school. It makes sense, in my opinion, that you would want to include a parent in as much of the educative process as possible.

Posted March 29, 2004

As an alumni of this school, I am distrubed to see such horrible reviews. Green run has grown so much since I graduated in 1999. The students excel in and outside the classroom. Past and current students understand what it means and how much of an honor it is to be a stallion. The whole staff cares about the success of each student and are always willing to go the extra mile to help. My advice to those who complain would be to ge involved and examine what more you can do to help your child. It is not just the schools responsiblity. 'It takes a village...' With the great teachers I had during my tenure at grhs, I have completed college and have a great career. My success thus far can be attributed to them. 'You just can't hide that stallion pride'.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted February 26, 2004

I'm not a parent at Green Run High School. I'm a current student, a junior, and I've attended this school my entire high school career. Even though this school does have its low points (and these are emphasized more), it does have its high points. I've been lucky enough to have all of my teachers care about my and my fellow students' welfare. I know there may be a lot of people who don't agree with me (especially students), but that's because a lot of people aren't taking on the responsibility of caring about their or their children's education. The thing that they don't understand is everything can't be spoon-fed to them. Both the students and the parents have to make a conscious effort in making our school better and that's what a lot of us at this school fail to do.

Posted January 23, 2004

My children have gone to this school, and it has gone downhill in the past few years. It is beginning to closely resemble an inner-city 'urban' school. Sad to say, but... Their test scores (SOL) never seem to match up with other area schools - WHY? Year after year, program after program, their scores are low. I'm not happy with all the 'smoke and mirrors' and false promises made by their 'leadership.' The school is being allowed to turn into a bad place - nobody in the PTA listen or will respond to strong calls for change - why bother anymore?

Posted January 8, 2004

I am not happy with the way this school works. I have two daughter that have learning disabilities and they do not get the help they should. My oldest has stayed back and is in danger of staying back again She has giving up because she feels no matter how hard she tries they will not help her. I have been back and forth for two years now and I have gotten nowhere. My youngest is now having the same problem. I have been in the school on the phone I do not know what else to do. She cries at night because of it. I can not help her they teach different things now then they did when i was in school. I have explained this to the school they say I understand but never do anything.... this is not only me this is also other parents problems that I have spoken to.

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 76% in 2013.

288 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 76% in 2013.

342 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 83% in 2013.

395 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 86% in 2013.

264 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 83% in 2013.

330 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 89% in 2013.

395 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 87% in 2013.

411 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 76% in 2013.

338 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 59% in 2013.

Virginia and United States History

The state average for Virginia and United States History was 86% in 2013.

386 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 85% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History I

The state average for World History I was 84% in 2013.

480 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History II

The state average for World History II was 85% in 2013.

237 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) End-of-Course tests to assess students in reading, writing, math, science and history/social science subjects at the end of each course, regardless of the student's grade level. The SOL End-of-Course tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. High school students must pass at least six SOL End-of-Course tests to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Algebra I

Students with disabilities45%
Students without disabilities71%
Proficient in English70%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Virginia Department of Education

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Plaza Middle School
Larkspur Middle School
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

School end time
  • 2:10 pm
  • Dr. George Parker
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Gifted / high performing
  • Honors track
  • STEM
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Career/college counseling
  • Counseling
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Access to sports fields

Dress Code
  • Dress code
  • Attend parent nights
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council

Visit