Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Posted January 16, 2016
My son is in the 4th grade and has attended ILES since Kindergarten. I have to say, the school has gotten better and better each year. Our son has really thrived there and loved all of his teachers (especially Mrs. Cook in 2nd grade). They have a positive learning environment and zero tolerance for bullying. They offer fantastic support to the military children, offering a deployment support group, which my son enjoyed and I was thankful for. Mr. G in PE has done a great job in getting the kids excited about fitness, particularly by organizing the Operation Final Mile runs each year and offering the running club for training leading up to the race. The school is a tight knit community where everyone knows everyone. They offer a lot of fun events throughout the year to help foster those relationships and keep the parents involved. They've also started some new after school clubs, including a Minecraft club and a Robotics club. Most helpful of all is that they now have the Rec Center program for before AND after care, which we are very thankful for. In regards to one person's complaint about the lunch program, you can manage your students lunch money online at parentonline.net. It will email you a notice when the funds are low and you can select whether or not your child is allowed to choose a special snack. For instance, I have mine set up so that my son can choose a snack on Fridays. It's really very simple to use. Overall, Indian Lakes Elementary is a fantastic school with a wonderful staff and we are so thankful our son has had the opportunity to grow and thrive there.

Indian Lakes Elementary School 1

Posted November 03, 2015
I am a parent at ILES. I sent my 1st grader to school with enough money to last half of the school year. He used the entire amount within two months. It was used up on overpriced snacks and juices. The worst part- the CASHIERS OFFER the snacks to the students and then charge their LUNCH account. I don't know of any 6-year olds who turn down ice cream that is offered to him or her. As the parent I was never informed that I had to go online and set up restrictions. After finding out the hard way, I contacted the cafeteria manager to voice my concerns. I was told, "This is a business, like any other business." Food services downtown did not care either and told me, "I don't know what you want me to do." I feel like listening and/or caring is a great start!

Posted September 14, 2015
Great school! My oldest has attended from kindergarten all the way to now 5th grade and she has loved her experience there. The art and music teachers are incredibly talented and are great teachers as well! My second child just started kindergarten and also loves the school! Academically, teachers recognize where the students are at and either help them achieve goals or challenge them enough to thrive! Great school!

Indian Lakes Elementary School 4

Posted January 03, 2015
My daughter had to move to this school half way through kindergarten & it was very difficult for her. The teacher was very understanding of the stress associated with the change and communicated with us often. Now in 1st grade, she is excelling & her teacher is fantastic. I have never had to deal with either principal, so I can't review them, but the office staff is very friendly & does their job well. Never dealt with PTA either, so no review. I would not move my daughter out of this school.

Indian Lakes Elementary School 3

Posted June 22, 2014
Teachers are great, but Admin needs to be humbled! The principal has been there only a year. She is very fake and is only there for her career...not the kids.

Indian Lakes Elementary School 4

Posted January 14, 2014
For the most part this is a good school. Most teachers and staff are friendly and professional. There has been some changes is staff over the past few years which have helped improve the quality of education. If the angry and entitled assistant principal would leave then leadership would be 4 stars, but most teachers and especially parents don't care for the high and almighty assistant principal.

Posted April 22, 2013
My 2nd grade child moved to this school in Fall 2012 from a Hawaii Public school. She was a grade level behind in her reading at the beginning of the school year (2012). ILES identified that she was behind within a month of school starting. They had her in extra reading programs, and getting extra help from her teacher on a daily basis. All teachers and staff were extremely helpful in this process. Now, in May 2013, my child has almost caught up completely to grade level with her reading. I don't think this would have happened as quickly or kindly anywhere other than ILES. LOVE THIS SCHOOL!!!! They do daily physical education too, which is great for their fitness. They also receive weekly art and music classes. Best public school we have seen yet in our Military travels in US.

Posted October 03, 2012
My son went to ILES from K-5 and had a thoroughly wonderful experience. My daughter attended K-1 before transferring to the local gifted school. Our family feels fortunate that both of our kids had such a good experience with the wonderful teachers and administration at ILES.

Posted May 18, 2012
There are many dedicated, wonderful, involved teachers at this school. I have been here twenty plus years and have seen many different changes in administrators and staff but Indian Lakes should have an excellent rating. Teachers put in extra time and effort to do their job. They go above and beyond. We have extensive training and put our students interest above all else. Most of the teachers here work so hard to do what is in the best interest of their students!

Indian Lakes Elementary School 1

Posted May 15, 2012
wish I could give a zero! terrible school! no matter what your child sys is going on, the administrators beleive they are lying. this school is rampant with bullies, and most of the teachers (except 2) have been bad. Even a neighbor child told me about a teacher bullying my student in front of the class! i have 2 sons and one has no behavior problems this school needs some serious help. If this is how all VA beach adminitstrators treat kids think about home school. i do hear that strawabridge is much better.

Indian Lakes Elementary School
1240 Homestead Dr, Virginia Beach, VA  23464
Last modified Indian Lakes Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Indian Lakes Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top