Bad
Good

We are military. My daughter entered Cox HS her Junior Year. The school: 1) Was aggressive in obtaining forms so they could obtain Federal Funding with no visible benefit for my child or other military children. It as true for the elementary school as well with threats of demerits if they were not returned in a timely fashion. 2) My daughter was required to take SOLs for all 4 years of HS as they would not grandfather in her Terra Nova scores from her Freshman and Sophomore years. She took a total of 14 SOLs in 2 years since she was unable to pass a few of them the first time around. She has above a 3.0 GPA. 3) When she obtained her driver's license in mid-April she was denied a parking space because it was "too late in the year" so she parked down the street. When drama got out at 8:00, 9:00, and then 10:00 my husband gave her pepper spray for her protection. When she left her keys in the bathroom after a voluntary study session for SOLs her keys were found and she was suspended for having a weapon. It was 1 month to graduation. She missed several days of school, had to attend a hearing before the School Leadership Board , then wait for a verdict like a criminal. The school never saw her as a person during her 2 years there. She had 1 teacher offer her assistance during this time to help her pass finals and make up missing assignments so she could keep her GPA up. She was allowed to attend prom and take SOLs under the watchful eye of a security guard who escorted her on and off campus each time. My daughter had no prior disciplinary problems at any of her previous schools, she made decent grades and had already been accepted to a university. It has been a nightmare for our family. So glad it is over. If you must attend Cox as a military family seek out the School Liaison on Little Creek Naval Station to help guide you and your family through the process.

We have 3 children who attended Cox; one who has gone on to JMU and 2 who have gone on to William & Mary. Cox prepared them well for their higher education and all 3 scored very well on the SOLs, SATs and the AP exams. Cox's teachers did a great job of educating these kids to perform at the standard that we, as a state and nation, have set. We have found the teachers to be very caring and involved and our kids have had wonderful, encouraging relationships with their coaches and many of their teachers. The administration also does a wonderful job of providing information to parents by phone and email. People seem concerned that there are a lot of drugs at Cox, but every high school has a lot of drugs! I am proud to say my kids avoided that whole scene and at the end of the day, it's all about choices, and that education begins at home! I always highly recommend Cox when people are trying to decide where to settle based on school choice. Cox's sporting events are well attended by parents and there is great parent involvement at the school through the Booster's Club and the PTO. All in all, a great environment for kids to excel. We are very pleased!

I graduated from Cox in 2012. I really cannot rightfully give this school a lower rating than 5 stars. As a teenager I had many moments of criticism for this school, but in hindsight I credit Cox for giving me a great high school experience. I had several teachers that challenged me and made me a better thinker. They always encouraged and helped me toward college goals, even when I was uninterested in them. I am now in my 3rd year of college and excelling. I will point out a few criticisms that are not necessarily Cox's fault or not enough to bring down the rating. One, there is an excessive amount of access to drugs and alcohol among Cox students (lots of $$$). Two, the VBCPS schedule (waking up at 6) and grading scale makes things unnecessarily difficult for students. Finally, the current administration is making Cox a much less fun and encouraging environment than when I first arrive as a freshman in 2008. Overall, you can expect a school with an excellent faculty and tons of ways to get involved.

This school has been wonderful! Our daughter has excelled and is excited to go to school everyday. You don't find many teenagers who enjoy high school but when the staff makes learning enjoyable and motivates the students everyday it makes a huge difference. Our daughter is already preparing for college is doing very well in all her classes. It's a very safe school, she has friends, the staff communicates, and over all we are very pleased. Highly recommend all the schools in VBCPS. We have children at Trantwood Elementary, Great Neck Middle, and Cox they have all been Outstanding, very impressive!!! As a military family we have lived many places in the country and these schools by far outshine others. Great job Va Beach!

Cox Highschool was very helpfull with the application proces. Transitioning from another country is never easy but our guidance counselor help us true the process. And my child felt at home from the beginning of school.

Frank W. Cox has been an excellent fit for my children. The staff of teachers and counselors have all gone above and beyond. I have children with various needs from IEP to AP and the school has more than met all my expectations.

With 4 years of having my AA/F child going here, I feel so blessed to be a part of the Cox High program. From the teachers, the staff, and the students, as high school go it, no one place is perfect, but this was a great place for her to find her own friends, grow, and get a quality education for college.

This school is the best school in Great Neck, if not all of Virginia Beach. The Teachers are fantastic and always willing to go out of their way for their students and encourage / help them to be the best they can be. I would like to say too that all the schools in this area are the best of the best...I just cannot say enough good things to justify what a great education they offer our kids. If you want the besy education for your kids, then feel secure in knowing that they'll get it here! They deserve it!!

I have three kids currently enrolled at Cox High School. I think it is overall a very good school providing a quality education for several reasons. The academic environment is very challenging and demanding. There are lots of opportunities for kids to excel in this area if they desire. I have found most teachers to be very responsive to my inquiries. There are lots of really great kids at teh school doing positive things if you child can hook up with the right crowd. On the down side, the school has some very difficult inflexible teachers that can make your child's life miserable. Last year we had two teachers that no matter how hard the kids studied they ended up with C's. The bar seems to be set very high at Cox. Sports teams are very competitive and difficult to make unless you are an elite athlete. Hope these comments hlep.

As a student at cox the education is okay, teachers arent the best. The big problem are the students. I came from bayside high school and at Cox students are vevry bullying and it is very cliquey. Overall i wouldnt recomend this school.

Last modified Frank W. Cox High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.