Bad
Good

Posted January 09, 2015
We have 3 children who attended Cox; one who has gone on to JMU and 2 who have gone on to William & Mary. Cox prepared them well for their higher education and all 3 scored very well on the SOLs, SATs and the AP exams. Cox's teachers did a great job of educating these kids to perform at the standard that we, as a state and nation, have set. We have found the teachers to be very caring and involved and our kids have had wonderful, encouraging relationships with their coaches and many of their teachers. The administration also does a wonderful job of providing information to parents by phone and email. People seem concerned that there are a lot of drugs at Cox, but every high school has a lot of drugs! I am proud to say my kids avoided that whole scene and at the end of the day, it's all about choices, and that education begins at home! I always highly recommend Cox when people are trying to decide where to settle based on school choice. Cox's sporting events are well attended by parents and there is great parent involvement at the school through the Booster's Club and the PTO. All in all, a great environment for kids to excel. We are very pleased!

Posted September 15, 2014
I graduated from Cox in 2012. I really cannot rightfully give this school a lower rating than 5 stars. As a teenager I had many moments of criticism for this school, but in hindsight I credit Cox for giving me a great high school experience. I had several teachers that challenged me and made me a better thinker. They always encouraged and helped me toward college goals, even when I was uninterested in them. I am now in my 3rd year of college and excelling. I will point out a few criticisms that are not necessarily Cox's fault or not enough to bring down the rating. One, there is an excessive amount of access to drugs and alcohol among Cox students (lots of $$$). Two, the VBCPS schedule (waking up at 6) and grading scale makes things unnecessarily difficult for students. Finally, the current administration is making Cox a much less fun and encouraging environment than when I first arrive as a freshman in 2008. Overall, you can expect a school with an excellent faculty and tons of ways to get involved.

Posted April 23, 2014
This school has been wonderful! Our daughter has excelled and is excited to go to school everyday. You don't find many teenagers who enjoy high school but when the staff makes learning enjoyable and motivates the students everyday it makes a huge difference. Our daughter is already preparing for college is doing very well in all her classes. It's a very safe school, she has friends, the staff communicates, and over all we are very pleased. Highly recommend all the schools in VBCPS. We have children at Trantwood Elementary, Great Neck Middle, and Cox they have all been Outstanding, very impressive!!! As a military family we have lived many places in the country and these schools by far outshine others. Great job Va Beach!

Frank W. Cox High School 4

Posted September 10, 2013
Cox Highschool was very helpfull with the application proces. Transitioning from another country is never easy but our guidance counselor help us true the process. And my child felt at home from the beginning of school.

Posted May 13, 2013
Frank W. Cox has been an excellent fit for my children. The staff of teachers and counselors have all gone above and beyond. I have children with various needs from IEP to AP and the school has more than met all my expectations.

Posted April 30, 2013
With 4 years of having my AA/F child going here, I feel so blessed to be a part of the Cox High program. From the teachers, the staff, and the students, as high school go it, no one place is perfect, but this was a great place for her to find her own friends, grow, and get a quality education for college.

Posted July 02, 2011
This school is the best school in Great Neck, if not all of Virginia Beach. The Teachers are fantastic and always willing to go out of their way for their students and encourage / help them to be the best they can be. I would like to say too that all the schools in this area are the best of the best...I just cannot say enough good things to justify what a great education they offer our kids. If you want the besy education for your kids, then feel secure in knowing that they'll get it here! They deserve it!!

Posted July 16, 2010
I have three kids currently enrolled at Cox High School. I think it is overall a very good school providing a quality education for several reasons. The academic environment is very challenging and demanding. There are lots of opportunities for kids to excel in this area if they desire. I have found most teachers to be very responsive to my inquiries. There are lots of really great kids at teh school doing positive things if you child can hook up with the right crowd. On the down side, the school has some very difficult inflexible teachers that can make your child's life miserable. Last year we had two teachers that no matter how hard the kids studied they ended up with C's. The bar seems to be set very high at Cox. Sports teams are very competitive and difficult to make unless you are an elite athlete. Hope these comments hlep.

Frank W. Cox High School 1

Posted March 20, 2010
As a student at cox the education is okay, teachers arent the best. The big problem are the students. I came from bayside high school and at Cox students are vevry bullying and it is very cliquey. Overall i wouldnt recomend this school.

Frank W. Cox High School 1

Posted March 02, 2010
I'm currently a student at Cox. I'm not impressed at all with the school. Cox has ridiculous restrictions and regulations along with unnecessary consequences. Drugs and alcohol are a HUGE issue here. Cox is known to be the 'party school' of the district and everyone I know has done or still does drugs, drinks, and has lost their virginity. The teachers are somewhat okay, it all depends on how you act around them. The schedule is organized and well thought out. But I will say that unless you want your kid to sink into terrible peer pressure, DO NOT come here.

Frank W. Cox High School
2425 Shorehaven Dr, Virginia Beach, VA  23454
Last modified Frank W. Cox High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.