Virginia Beach, VA

Birdneck Elementary School 2

Posted April 08, 2015
I always had good experiences with the staff, but I will say that the kids that attend are more mean spirited than other schools. We had bullying issues daily. But I don't see that being the fault of the school. The district for this school is primarily low income and unfortunately with low income neighborhoods come low income scum that do not know how to properly raise children.

Posted December 03, 2013
Teachers and staff are all excellent, my daughter has learned so much at this school and the parent/teacher communication is great.

Posted October 25, 2013
My child started kindergarten this year and absolutely loves the school and her teacher. The administration is awesome, always friendly and willing to help the students /parents in whatever they may need. I have never walked into the school and not been greeted warmly. The parent teacher communication is great, and I love how informed they keep the parents. So happy we decided to come to Birdneck elementary. The whole school makes learning fun, and encourages each student to thrive. Very happy parent!

Posted August 10, 2013
was the best school Ive ever taken, the teachers are very nice,in 5th grade, there was many field trips.

Posted July 10, 2013
Our 2 children have been lucky to be a part of the Birdneck family for 4 years and now we have to move on, just like all the other military families. It has been a tough road for our children and the staff of Birdneck have been amazing. They are professional and supportive. The families of Birdneck come from many different backgrounds and children are continually enrolling and moving away. The staff is very welcoming and makes transition easy. The number 4 rating doesn't truly capture Birdneck's greatness. We came from an area in the U.S. that has top rated schools and that is our basis for comparison.

Posted April 22, 2013
This is a good school. My son loved his teacher, Mrs. Scott. The staff is very polite and filled with school pride. I love that when we lived in base housing across the street, every court had their own bus. So my kindergartner was on the bus for a short time. There were no other stops! Very reassuring to a worrying mother!!!

Birdneck Elementary School 1

Posted October 01, 2012
Never Again. The VP of this school is rude uncaring and just awful.. A "SNAKE" When I called to speak to her on the phone, she is always in a meeting or at lunch and never calls back. she has no heart and very sneaky. She placed my child in the wrong grade and advanced classes at that after I told her that my child is behind. Then the day I took him out of school and placed in a private one she called his other school asking questions and saying he cannot read or write. So please watch the VP and when you deal with her.. she is not kind and cares only for herself and school budget. watch out for this witch.
2 people found this helpful

Posted January 11, 2012
Other schools had written our son off as a "problem child". Noone took the time to investigate beyond the behaviors that didn't fit "in the box". This school took the time! Our son is finally thriving and is being seen for the special boy he is!! We are so greatful to this school. We love it!!

Posted September 15, 2011
Don't judge a school by test scores alone! This is a school with a diverse socioeconomic demographic- many military and lower income households BUT the school does so much to help ALL of it's students maximize their potential. It's got a differentiated curriculum from gifted to remediation, extra funding and resources due to "Title I" designation, small class sizes..... exposure to kids and families from diverse backgrounds. We are very pleased with Birdneck and are glad we chose to stay with our "neighborhood school". From the office staff to the on site After-Care staff and all teachers in between we appreciate their genuine, caring efforts.

Posted December 11, 2010
LOVE this school!!! We are a military family and move around A LOT. It is always a little scary where your children will attend school and what type of environment they will be in. Since going to Birdneck elementary our children have expressed nothing but happiness. As with every school they have attended they are still straight A students and thriving here. We are parents who do check out the schools prior to moving ANYWHERE and we do recommend this one. Before enrolling your child at any school I would suggest going in, talking to the principle and staff as well as the teachers your child/children will have and see if it s a good fit.

Birdneck Elementary School
957 S Birdneck Rd, Virginia Beach, VA  23451
Last modified Birdneck Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Birdneck Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top