Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted May 25, 2016
The school staff victimizes children who are bullied for attempting to do something about it.

Birdneck Elementary School 1

Posted May 25, 2016
School has a SEVWRE issue with bullying including physical altercations. My child has been tormented at this school since we moved here. The principal and staff have done nothing to fix the issue. So far my son has been kicked slapped spit on had his back pack taken and all his belongings scattered everywhere and most recently elbowed in the throat. And after everything he's put up with the school is saying he is the one in trouble because he defended himsekf. Though there are witnesses that his story is the truth and not his bully's story.

Posted March 06, 2016
My son has been at Birdneck since Kindergarten. He is now in Fourth grade. My son has had learning difficulties and is high functioning autistic. I have to say this school has excellent teachers, and good services for those with learning disabilities. We did have some problems with bullying which I addressed on several occasions, and it was taken care of. They have many field trips, and a good after school program that is affordable through Parks and Rec. Do not let the lower rating fool you. I believe school ratings often come down to how the children score on testing, the teachers are top notch over all.

Develops honesty: Agree

Posted March 06, 2016
Yes. This school has a large range of students from all different backgrounds. It is multicultural and the teachers are great.

Birdneck Elementary School 2

Posted April 08, 2015
I always had good experiences with the staff, but I will say that the kids that attend are more mean spirited than other schools. We had bullying issues daily. But I don't see that being the fault of the school. The district for this school is primarily low income and unfortunately with low income neighborhoods come low income scum that do not know how to properly raise children.

Posted December 03, 2013
Teachers and staff are all excellent, my daughter has learned so much at this school and the parent/teacher communication is great.

Posted October 25, 2013
My child started kindergarten this year and absolutely loves the school and her teacher. The administration is awesome, always friendly and willing to help the students /parents in whatever they may need. I have never walked into the school and not been greeted warmly. The parent teacher communication is great, and I love how informed they keep the parents. So happy we decided to come to Birdneck elementary. The whole school makes learning fun, and encourages each student to thrive. Very happy parent!

Posted August 10, 2013
was the best school Ive ever taken, the teachers are very nice,in 5th grade, there was many field trips.

Posted July 10, 2013
Our 2 children have been lucky to be a part of the Birdneck family for 4 years and now we have to move on, just like all the other military families. It has been a tough road for our children and the staff of Birdneck have been amazing. They are professional and supportive. The families of Birdneck come from many different backgrounds and children are continually enrolling and moving away. The staff is very welcoming and makes transition easy. The number 4 rating doesn't truly capture Birdneck's greatness. We came from an area in the U.S. that has top rated schools and that is our basis for comparison.

Posted April 22, 2013
This is a good school. My son loved his teacher, Mrs. Scott. The staff is very polite and filled with school pride. I love that when we lived in base housing across the street, every court had their own bus. So my kindergartner was on the bus for a short time. There were no other stops! Very reassuring to a worrying mother!!!

957 South Birdneck Rd, Virginia Beach, VA  23451
Last modified Birdneck Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.