Salem Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1052 students

Student diversity

Sweep tile

Posted May 23, 2013

Beyond expectations! Everyone says Middle school is rough. With one in 8th and one in 6th (boy and girl) I have to say has been nothing but great! The Core classes and elective teachers are wonderful. The teachers we have had since 6th grade have always been engaging and supportive to both my children. The guidance office is always there to answer my questions and assist my children. Im looking forward to my youngest attending, and my two currently attending to continue to grow!

Posted March 7, 2013

As far as education i think SMS Virginia Beach is up to par. The problem is on the teachers who treats the kids unfairly. My daughter together with her friends have the same complaint on the same Six grade teacher . They said that she is mean and confronts students and ask them why everytime she receive an email from the parents. I think the district principal needs to address this issue because the kids cannot concentrate studying if they have fear in their minds.

Posted October 20, 2011

We have had the oppurtunity of having four of our sons pass through Salem Middle School. We overall had a very postive experience there. One of our son's was considered special needs and the staff and faculty we very accomodating. With that being said the school is very diverse which we believed to be a plus since society is diverse. The extra curricular activities are there for whatever your child/children may want to be involved in. Our sons were very involved in the music program, student council, and sports. Security is also very good as well. If we had to do it all over again there would not be any regrets. :)

Posted June 6, 2011

If you have a child with "special needs," do NOT send them to this school. My son has autism, and the school does not want to deal with it. Dr. Soltner wants the "problem" kids gone. The assistant principals, Ms. Bond and Mr. Lawler aren't any better - simply the Principal's puppets. If you have the option of putting your kids in private school or sending them somewhere else, do yourself a favor and take one of those choices - don't send them to Salem Middle School while Soltner is in charge. He has no accountability to anyone. He runs the school the way he wants, and if you don't like it, you can move and enroll your kid somewhere else. You can thank me later. I gave the school one star, because I couldn't cut it in half, and there wasn't anything lower.

Posted February 23, 2011

We moved here in 2009 from out of state. Our child had not been educated in a public school prior to our move here. We all felt a public school setting was the choice for us at the time. So we went out to search for the school for us, and chose Salem Middle. The administrative staff is ready to listen and help. I have seen teachers work hard so our child and others achieve there highest capabilities. I must finally mention, diversity is clearly valued in this school which I feel is one of Salem's strongest assets. Virginia Beach has a fantastic school sytem and we are so lucky to be part of it!

Posted February 2, 2011

We moved in '09 and we're so fortunate to have ended up at Salem Middle School. The principal stresses education and discipline, and the school shows this! My daughter loves her teachers; she's enjoying her advanced classes and also is thriving under the tutelage of the wonderful chorus teacher. We love this school!

Posted June 14, 2010

My son has attended SMS for two years. He is doing well enough academically. Some of the teachers are very responsive but other's seem like they are allergic to the parents. Parent portal is helpful, but if my son has slacked off, I don't find out about it until well after the fact. Grades aren't updated regularly. Generally I don't feel there is good communications in some, not all cases.

Posted July 3, 2009

My son has attended this school for 2 years and is entering the 8th grade this year. It is an amazing school with great teachers. They really have their act together when it comes to keeping our kids safe.

Posted April 5, 2008

I was a student here for three years and must say I'm rather shocked by the reviews. Salem Middle gives a top notch education and has a wonderful staff. The teaches often create fun activites for the students and this school has a wonderful library for these activities. The new principal has changed the way discipline is handled and there are very few major problems. Yes, sometimes teachers do not inform parents of their children's shortcomings, but I mean, come on. This is middle school! It's time for your kid to be ready to admit to you him/herself. It isn't the teacher s job. Most teachers here will tell you if you ask though.

Posted February 19, 2008

I happen to like the administration at Salem. I communicate weekly with my child's teachers and all of them respond promptly to my e-mails and calls. I agree that there are some teachers (not just at Salem) who probably should find another line of work - but that's when the parent needs to step in and pick up the slack and make sure their child receives the best education despite a teacher's inadequacies. A child's failure and success depends on the efforts made not by student and teacher - but by his/her parent.

Posted February 3, 2008

The new principal is not the best. No fun things incorporated into the learning. No field trips. Teachers usually don't respond to parents emails.

Posted January 11, 2008

I have a seventh grader at Salem, and there seems to be some teachers, as another basically said, could care less about the children they are paid to mentor, teach, and disclipline (if needed). I've dealt with this school for two years and a couple of the teachers hold 'grudges' against kids that might make them do a little more than just teach. It's like they would rather just kick a child out of class rather then try to get to the bottom of why they are 'acting out'. I'm seriously thinking of changing schools.

Posted May 16, 2007

I am an tah grader at Salem middle and i have been going to Salem since 6th grade I love my school very much but there is a few things they do need to work on and the main thing i think is that discipline is not done right at all.there are a lot of awesome teachers at Salem and then there are the other ones that could care less how your feeling, if you understand, and if you have questions.

Posted July 26, 2006

The school has it's share of good and bad teacher's like many. Most teacher will work things out with a parent, or student if asked. The principle I felt was horrible though. She couldn't be bothered to go to Awards Ceremonies and the assistant principles handled everything. The discipline went down alot when she became principle. This is still a good school mind you. The education is EXCELLENT! You're kids are pushed to learn, which can lead to stress, but I have learned it teaches responsibilty in the longrun. The parents are involved ALOT too. The Extra-curricular activities are like other schools and there are an abundance of clubs. The kids are nice and welcoming, but choose good friends and stay out of drama. My experience was pleasant at this school, and have been to others to say the education succeeded the other 2 schools.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 26, 2006

As far as schools go Salem's pretty good. I'm just out of 7th grade and thankfully going into 8th next year. But the teachers aren't always fair and just have people they hate. It's not me but it's a lot of my friends. Parents probably like the parental involvment, but we don't. This place is crawling with teachers! Well all in all it's okay...

Posted September 6, 2005

I am an 8th grader going to school and i think it's a great school. I don't know what ' lack of communication' your talking about. I have attended it since 6th grade. I get updates from teachers and printed progress reports.My parents had doubts about the school but they just dissapeared. Its a great school and I recommend it. Go Sharks!

Posted April 11, 2005

I have a sixth grader attending this year. I agree with the parents who say that there is a great lack of communication. My child has one teacher that notifies me (email, phone) of his behavior, grades, attitude. I greatly appreciate her cooperation. However, I have also tried to communicate with all the other teachers and they have not responded. I would like to know how my child's attitude, grade, and behavior is. I don't want a phone call or letter when it's gotten beyond the point of their control. Sometimes children don't bring the letters back home to be signed because they know they are in trouble. Please help me. I am willing to contribute on my part to help my child. I would like all the teachers and office staff to do the same.

Posted September 21, 2004

I have a sixth grader attending right now, and the biggest problem is (like the other review described)communication or lack thereof. They expect you to somehow know that you should talk to the guidance office about medical needs for your child although you fill out several forms prior to the start of school with the same pertinent information repeated several times on different forms. You have to notify each teacher individually of any special needs no matter how minor because the office/guidance office doesn't communicate anything to the rest of the school. They should send out forms that can be copied and distributed to all your child's teachers to keep them on the same page. VERY frustrating.

Posted June 2, 2004

Parents are not informed of academic problems at school until they become so bad that the child may fail or have to go to summer school. Also feel parents and students should be able to review tests so that everyone understands where improvement is needed. I have emailed and called teachers on several occasions and they have not responded which I feel is very unprofessional.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 74% in 2013.

324 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 86% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

206 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests to assess students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, writing in grades 5 and 8, and science in grades in 3, 5 and 8. The SOL tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 75% in 2013.

344 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 88% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

235 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 71% in 2013.

336 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 70% in 2013.

337 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 88% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

263 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

352 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students73%

Students with disabilities50%
Students without disabilities72%
Proficient in English68%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. Data is not reported when there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school.

All Students80%

Students with disabilities86%
Students without disabilities90%
Proficient in English90%

Source: Virginia Department of Education

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 76% in 2013.

211 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 76% in 2013.

81 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) End-of-Course tests to assess students in reading, writing, math, science and history/social science subjects at the end of each course, regardless of the student's grade level. The SOL End-of-Course tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. High school students must pass at least six SOL End-of-Course tests to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Algebra I

Students with disabilitiesn/a
Students without disabilities100%
Proficient in English100%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Gym

• James Avila
Fax number
  • (757) 474-8467

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options