Virginia Beach, VA

Salem Middle School 4

Posted May 23, 2013
Beyond expectations! Everyone says Middle school is rough. With one in 8th and one in 6th (boy and girl) I have to say has been nothing but great! The Core classes and elective teachers are wonderful. The teachers we have had since 6th grade have always been engaging and supportive to both my children. The guidance office is always there to answer my questions and assist my children. Im looking forward to my youngest attending, and my two currently attending to continue to grow!

Salem Middle School 3

Posted March 07, 2013
As far as education i think SMS Virginia Beach is up to par. The problem is on the teachers who treats the kids unfairly. My daughter together with her friends have the same complaint on the same Six grade teacher . They said that she is mean and confronts students and ask them why everytime she receive an email from the parents. I think the district principal needs to address this issue because the kids cannot concentrate studying if they have fear in their minds.

Posted October 20, 2011
We have had the oppurtunity of having four of our sons pass through Salem Middle School. We overall had a very postive experience there. One of our son's was considered special needs and the staff and faculty we very accomodating. With that being said the school is very diverse which we believed to be a plus since society is diverse. The extra curricular activities are there for whatever your child/children may want to be involved in. Our sons were very involved in the music program, student council, and sports. Security is also very good as well. If we had to do it all over again there would not be any regrets. :)

Salem Middle School 1

Posted June 06, 2011
If you have a child with "special needs," do NOT send them to this school. My son has autism, and the school does not want to deal with it. Dr. Soltner wants the "problem" kids gone. The assistant principals, Ms. Bond and Mr. Lawler aren't any better - simply the Principal's puppets. If you have the option of putting your kids in private school or sending them somewhere else, do yourself a favor and take one of those choices - don't send them to Salem Middle School while Soltner is in charge. He has no accountability to anyone. He runs the school the way he wants, and if you don't like it, you can move and enroll your kid somewhere else. You can thank me later. I gave the school one star, because I couldn't cut it in half, and there wasn't anything lower.

Posted February 23, 2011
We moved here in 2009 from out of state. Our child had not been educated in a public school prior to our move here. We all felt a public school setting was the choice for us at the time. So we went out to search for the school for us, and chose Salem Middle. The administrative staff is ready to listen and help. I have seen teachers work hard so our child and others achieve there highest capabilities. I must finally mention, diversity is clearly valued in this school which I feel is one of Salem's strongest assets. Virginia Beach has a fantastic school sytem and we are so lucky to be part of it!

Posted February 02, 2011
We moved in '09 and we're so fortunate to have ended up at Salem Middle School. The principal stresses education and discipline, and the school shows this! My daughter loves her teachers; she's enjoying her advanced classes and also is thriving under the tutelage of the wonderful chorus teacher. We love this school!

Salem Middle School 4

Posted June 14, 2010
My son has attended SMS for two years. He is doing well enough academically. Some of the teachers are very responsive but other's seem like they are allergic to the parents. Parent portal is helpful, but if my son has slacked off, I don't find out about it until well after the fact. Grades aren't updated regularly. Generally I don't feel there is good communications in some, not all cases.

Posted July 03, 2009
My son has attended this school for 2 years and is entering the 8th grade this year. It is an amazing school with great teachers. They really have their act together when it comes to keeping our kids safe.

Posted May 05, 2008

Posted April 05, 2008
I was a student here for three years and must say I'm rather shocked by the reviews. Salem Middle gives a top notch education and has a wonderful staff. The teaches often create fun activites for the students and this school has a wonderful library for these activities. The new principal has changed the way discipline is handled and there are very few major problems. Yes, sometimes teachers do not inform parents of their children's shortcomings, but I mean, come on. This is middle school! It's time for your kid to be ready to admit to you him/herself. It isn't the teacher s job. Most teachers here will tell you if you ask though.

Salem Middle School
2380 Lynnhaven Pkwy, Virginia Beach, VA  23464
Last modified Salem Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Salem Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top