Virginia Beach, VA

Posted September 05, 2014
I'm a junior currently attending Salem & I can honestly say that I've enjoyed my time here.The teachers are really supportive and nice, for the most part with few exceptions. I metso many people from so many ddifferent backgrounds and the VPAA really enhance the school. Its unbelievable how much talent is in Salem, & its not just the Academy either. Salem has excellence in sports, clubs, & in the classroom. My only criticism of Salem is how trivial the administration can be when it comes to rules , they are almost tyrannical & Keever is really making changes that are detrimental to the many flourishing programs at Salem. Overall Salem is a good school and you can have a good experience there.

Posted June 22, 2014
I see the quality of education at SHS! Based on the way the students write the word "Principle"i in the 2 most recent posts. There have been a lot of problems in the middle school which will filter into the high school. My son is zoned for this school and am so HAPPY he will not be going there, he was accepted to an academy program elsewhere!

Posted April 23, 2014
I go to Salem at the moment and also in the academy for theatre. I believe Salem is great we might need a little more updating but its one of the best schools around . I love our principle and the rules he enforces are good to keep us in line. We havn't had a fight , or anything I feel safer in this school than I feel elsewhere . So I'm happy to be a sundevil!!!!!!

Posted September 04, 2013
I have to disagree with other comments about the principle being too strict, I think the principle is doing an AMAZING job keeping the school a safe place to learn and a great place to attend. I attended school when the old principle was at salem and I never talked to him once in the 2 years I was at Salem with him, but with the new principle, I talk to him almost every day and he does a very good job of keeping in touch with students. The school values academics as much as athletics and clubs. It's great to have a school that so strong in supporting students. The student government at salem is even nationally recognized and has received a gold award for it's efforts!

Posted July 27, 2013
I am thankful that I have been given the opportunity to attend Salem High School. I have had amazing teachers and met amazing people! Many people say that the principal is on a 'power trip' that he 'over-steeps boundaries', and gives 'unneeded punishments' and I feel that they are wrong. I believe that the principal is doing a good job at keeping the school from falling apart. The Visual and Performing Arts Academy (where I will be going into my third year in the theatre strand) provides all the students with an in depth knowledge of their desired subject and provides them with the skills needed to have a job in that field. The teachers in the Visual and Performing Arts Academy (VPAA for short) form real relationships with all their students, and students are accepted in Salem whether they are in or out of the VPAA. Not only do I form relationships with my VPAA teachers, but I am also able to form relationships with my core subject teachers, which is something that can not be found at many other schools. Relationships between students and teachers will lead to a better ability to learn. I am thankful that I get to go to Salem and call myself a Sundevil.

Salem High School 4

Posted July 25, 2013
Although I do agree with the other comments here that the new principal is over the top strict, my child's experience at this school has been excellent, with a couple of teacher exceptions (I think you find that anywhere). As long as your child knows the rules, they will flourish at this school. Lots of staff/teacher involvement and plenty of opportunity for the kids to get involved. Quality of education is exceptional. I am in real estate and have no problem recommending this school to prospective clients.

Posted April 18, 2013
I have no complaints for my daughter's academics, the classes and teachers all seem to be very helpful. My problem is with the new and current principal. He steps out of boundaries sometimes, giving unneeded punishments and believing rumors. I do not approve of him ruling my daughter's school and education.

Salem High School 1

Posted February 15, 2013
The principal at this school is on a power trip. He is giving punishments that by far out weigh the action. Giving the students or their parents any opportunity to find out the reason for the actions. Many parents have had the same issue with him since he became principal. Threats of long term suspensions and or expulsions for actions the by no mean warrant.

Posted August 22, 2012
This school has served both my children well on completely opposite ends of the education spectrum for 7 years. My daughter attended as part of the Visual Arts Academy Program, and my son attends in special services and inclusion classes. Each child has had challenges, but various teachers and principals have stepped forward and helped us and our children get through each challenge. Salem High School has been excellent and should have higher reviews here than it has.

Salem High School 4

Posted October 20, 2011
Salem High schools offers many programs as well as providing a culturally diverse experience. In Virginia Beach this school is the Arts Academy. We had (as parents) an overall positive experience here. The principal, and supporting staff truly want to see the kids succeed, and any high school truly is what you make of it. The teaching staff and counseling staff are a group of caring individuals. Overall our children enjoyed their experience there. They were involved in music, sports, theater, NJROTC, and student council. We will miss the many positive experiences we had there.

Salem High School
1993 Sun Devil Dr, Virginia Beach, VA  22464
Last modified Salem High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Salem High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 33 reviews. Top