No rating

St Gregory The Great School

Private | PK-8 | 710 students

Student diversity

Living in Virginia Beach

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $160,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,150.

Posted September 10, 2006

I am a past teacher and parent. I have seen many changes over the past five years and it saddens me. Children deserve smiles and encouragement and I felt that in such a negative environment that SGS children could not fully thrive. I have been teaching in the public schools now and it is a refreshing change. Gone is the criticism and lack of leadership that I had at SGS. I would not suggest this school until major changes take place.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 29, 2006

We have a rising 8th grader and have such positive praise for the St Gregory staff and administration. We moved to the Virginia Beach area last year and found the faculty and staff very welcoming. We have had countless opportunities to volunteer within the school and become involved. Thank you St. Gregory faculty and administration for a rewarding academic year for our middle school student! He will be well prepared for Bishop Sullivan Catholic High his Freshman year!

Posted July 5, 2006

The school has been negligent in addressing concerns of parents. It is sad to see how this school has changed so much in 8 years. What once was thought of as the pinnacle in the Catholic schools has now fallen way down. Parent involvment is at an all time low, as is the level of satisfaction. Unfortunately, you are dismissed when you speak your concern.

Posted March 30, 2006

I am shocked at reading some of these previous reviews. I and many other families from the school share a totally different perspective. SGS is a Great school! Faculty and administration are nothing but wonderful. Maybe it is time for the families that complain to move on. How can people be so negative? What are we teaching are children? Let's get on the right path and move on. Is this not what Jesus would do? I think so. God Bless us all.

Posted March 16, 2006

After reading the previous reviews I feel so much better that I am not alone in my frustrations! The children are not the main priority, publicity and 'looking good' is top priority for the principal. Not the good of the children. Up to 3rd grade I was satisfied but now this place is a nightmare. Academically I do not feel it is up to par an longer. The rudeness factor is high and the dog chased me down the hall a week ago barking. Is this a school or a pound?

Posted March 7, 2006

We left SGS last school year after massive bullying towards our daughter. It was always blamed on her and not the bullies. Academically we have hired a tutor because SGS is way behind the Catholic school we now have our child attending. We feel that the principal was the ultimate bully in a sense for not properly addressing a major issue. Her teacher would say questionable things as well to the class. It was all about demeaning them. As a whole we were disatisfied with SGS. We expected more from a Catholic environment. Luckily we have now found that elsewhere.

Posted March 7, 2006

Some horrific events have taken place at SGS and I feel ashamed to be a part of the school. Academically the kids are behind their peers at other schools. Negativity has taken root and it is an atmosphere of intimidation and fear of not being able to speak up for yourself. I plan on removing my children at the end of this school year and seeking education at another local Catholic school. I think the ugliness of the past year has taken its toll on not only the faculty and staff but has migrated down to the innocent children and parents. I am not pleased with the overall education my children are receiving and think some teachers and staff need training on how to deal with parents and problems that may arise.

Posted February 19, 2006

Some of these negative previous reviews must have been based on very isolated experiences. For job reasons, we move to Virginia Beach and placed our children here during the middle of the school year. From the very beginning, the office extended a warm welcome to us and offered great support. Both the office staff and teaching staff have been emotionally and academically supportive to my children. The highest academic standards are put forth, and the staff seem willing to help by what ever means possible to ensure the children are doing well. Ample opportunites are available to volunteer, as well as opportunities to meet other families of students. They would not have such a large and stable attendance were they not a great school.

Posted January 28, 2006

I have a child who has graduated from St. Gregory's and another child still attending. The Navy has moved us throughout the years. We have always made it a point to send our children to a Catholic school. We felt that the transition from school to school would be easier. St. Gregory's is by far the best school that we have attended. The academics are excellent, the teachers are loving and attentive and always willing to spend extra time, the administration has an open door policy, and the after school activities include everything from drama club to choir and many sports. St. Gregory's is a very large school. And, somehow I marvel at how it has managed to keep a small school feel. We feel grateful to be part of such a wonderful school.

Posted January 28, 2006

Wow, where to begin. This is an awesome school with academics second to none, and superior leadership amoung administration and staff. I know since coming to this school from another private school, the parental involvement is huge. It's welcomed and appreciated. The front office is a friendly place and the staff is always quick to answer questions. The only cliques that I have seen at this school is the small group of discontents who thrive off of unhappiness. I've had 3 children go through this school and they are excelling in high school. SGS has a population of over 700 students...That in itself speaks volumes of the kind of support this school receives. If you're looking for a quality, academically sound education run by a loving and dedicated group of professionals, then look no further than SGS. This school continually has a waiting list, so get your name on it early!

Posted January 27, 2006

SGGS is one of the most academically challenging schools that my children have attended. We are in the military and move often. My kids have had a very easy transition to this school. I do believe that this school has more clics than any of the other schools that we have attended, and that while the school has an agressive anti-bullying policy, bullying still occurs. Generally, the teachers attempt to stop this, but life happens, the behavior is not condoned. While the members of PTG/PTO are nice, the parents have no say in their selection, they are appointed by the principal. As far a Bailey goes, I have seen Bailey bark at strangers/adults that he may/may not know, I have never seen him behave improperly with the kids, I believe that he is protecting the children.

Posted January 26, 2006

I can't say enough good things about St. Gregory's. We weren't 'born' into the parish, but came when our children were in elementary school. We felt welcomed and accepted right from the start. My children are challenged every day both academically and spiritually. There is a support system for new parents in place for those who choose to use it. I have found the board members of the PTG to always be friendly and open to new suggestions and ideas. The staff and administration is very caring and attentive. My children came from another Catholic school and I can attest that St. Gregory's is far ahead in what they have to offer. From academics, to religion based values to extra-curricular activities this school has it all. In reality is this school perfect..probably not to a select few who'd be unhappy anywhere, but to this family the answer is yes it's perfect!

Posted January 26, 2006

I have been affiliated with St. Greg's for many years. Times change, teachers change, kids change and in the end, attitudes change. I hear good and bad when I used to only hear good about SGS. I am happy they teach foreign language again since that was taken out a few years back. I know the class size is smaller now but that is a good thing I think. I don't think the VP is bad. I do see she does a good job and is always nice and smiles at people. I think the Principal needs to work on smiling and being nice to moms and dads. Academics are challenging and the elementary school has good teachers.

Posted January 26, 2006

We are a military family and have been at SGGS for a few years. Being a new family it was difficult to 'get in' to the group and be offered jobs at the school. The available jobs are never offered to everyone. This includes paid teaching jobs. That is my main gripe. I have had issues with a few teachers but if Mrs. Foster could personally train all the elementary school teachers then SGS would be the best in the state...country! Her overall approach and loving smile to each child makes a parent feel good. The principal does not have that smile very often. Academics are ok. Transition from K to GR1 is hard and alot is expected from the kids that they were not taught in K. Parents are all over the place volunteering but like I said, mostly hand selected ones.

Posted January 26, 2006

I graduated two years ago and am now in a great public HS. I was academically prepared for HS. I liked it alot when I first started at Saint Gregory. I wish I was offered Spanish or Latin so I did not have to take it now in HS. I wish I had better memories.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted January 26, 2006

There are two sides to every story and this is the case at our school. You can not please the masses but you can try and it is the lack of trying that has people scrambling to find alternate education. I have personally been humiliated by the principal in front of other parents. I do have to say I feel the academic portion of the school is top notch for the most part. My children are a grade ahead of their public school peers. I see some caddiness coming from some teachers. Rudeness to the children and parents. As a past volunteer, I was privy to teacher conversations, etc. I was appalled at the lack of compassion in a Catholic school. There are some great teachers there. I find the front office unapproachable. It is a very uninviting atmosphere and you are often standing there ignored for a few minutes.

Posted January 24, 2006

I think the best way for me to summarize our 16 years (2 daughters, K through 8th grade) of experience at St. Gregory's is through the words of my youngest, now a freshman in a very good public high school and ,thus far, having a wonderful high school experience. She said to me the other day, 'I miss St. Gregory's - I miss the teachers and the administration and all the students! I miss the family atmosphere, the fun, the Masses, and even the work! I miss everthing and would love to still be there!' (Paraphrased a bit, but not much...) The spirit of St. Gregory's will always be a part of the McNaught family. We owe much of who we are to SGGS. I can't imagine any family not feeling that spirit, but maybe they wouldn't feel it anywhere. I'm sorry for them.

Posted January 24, 2006

We have children who have attended SGGS for 9 years. I cannot say enough about the superior quality of academic programs that are provided to the students. My oldest is in high school and is far ahead of many of his peers. The majority of teachers will go out of their way to help the students to succeed both academically and socially. The school has numerous extracurricular activities to choose from. As far as the parent involvement, there are alot of ways to be involved and the majority of parents want to be involved. Overall, I am very pleased with SGGS and the quality of leadership!

Posted January 24, 2006

We are new to SGS and have nothing but wonderful things to say about the administration, teachers and other students. My girls love their 'new' school and have felt welcomed since day one! They are being challenged academically and the extracurricular activities have helped them to make new friends who share similiar interests. We love it here!

Posted January 24, 2006

We came to St. Grg's several years ago from another catholic school. We have been satified with the education our children have received. St. Gregs is like any other school out there; you will find people who are unhappy and have had a bad expereince.Can I say there are no cliques no. The people in the clics don't even realize they are being exclusive. They haven't a clue at how unwelcome they make new people feel. If your child hasn't been born in to the parish, your an outsider. I find that most of the parents are involved to the level that they feel comfortable. Are special privileges given to some people, yes without a doubt. If your on staff your child is specialand can do no wrong. Finally, parents have no say in who represents them to the parish or PTO. The PTO is selected by the principle.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Patricia O'Donnell
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Richmond