No rating

St Gregory The Great School

Private | PK-8 | 710 students

Student diversity

Living in Virginia Beach

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $160,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,150.

Posted January 24, 2006

I graduated from SGS 3 years ago and my sister graduated last year. We both are in a very academically challenging high school, and thanks to SGS are doing extremely well! My father was in the military so we changed schools a lot before getting to SGS. Right away the school felt like home. Both the teachers and students were very friendly and the principal and her staff quickly learned our names. Both my sister and I felt challenged with the work we were being taught, and the teachers were always available and willing to help if we found we needed them. The school has a strict anti-bullying policy and the school was a place we always felt very safe. We never felt that the teachers had favorites, but did feel like they genuinely cared about everyone.We both felt like Sister Patricia was always available to speak to us about anything.

Posted January 23, 2006

My family has been associated with St. Gregory the Great School since 1965. It is an outstanding school, which has unfortunately come under coordinated attack by a small and anonymous group of disgruntled parents. The staff, teachers, and curriculum are the finest anywhere. Any issues that are honestly presented to the principle are honestly and sincerely addressed. It s a wonderful school. If you have a chance to get your child in, take it.

Posted January 23, 2006

SGGS is by far the best school both academically, moraly and spiritually in the area or for that matter anywhere. My son graduated from there and was one year ahead of the other students when he went to high school. They offer advanced math, english, spanish and have a state of the art scinece lab and great technology and other programs. We too are a military family and had to move after spending six years there. The catholic school that my daughter attends now is not up to the standards of SGGS. Also, we are moving back to the Virginia Beach area and will definitely put our child entering first grade into SGGS. The staff and administration are incredible, they are there for the children and care deeply about the needs of the chidren and parents. I would highly recommend this school to anyone.

Posted January 23, 2006

As a former student of SGS, I would have to say that St. Gregory's prepared me for the academic challenges of high school very well. The teachers at SGS are friendly and patient, while the principal is kind and knows each student by name. If there are any problems with gossip or cliques, they are addressed immediately. SGS has advanced courses including Pre-Algebra, Algebra, and Spanish 1 for middle school students. Spanish is taught in all grades and students have PE, Art, and Music or Band weekly. Overall SGS does an excellent job preparing students both academically and religiously.

Posted January 22, 2006

My daghter was blessed to have been able to attend St. Greg's for her last two years of middle school having attended from another private school. The students from all grade 1st to 8th welcomed her with open arms. She made friends easily because of the warm Southern Hospitality and Christian rearing that is taught at the school. Where she had been at, students did intimidate and bully other students. They also were super clickish and did not welcome new students or even were kind to students they had been with since pre school. This was one of the reasons why I took her out. It wasn't until I had volunteered in depth and put long hours behind the scene to know what went on in the school. St. Gregs is geat! My daughter loves it and continues her friendship with the student body even in high school.

Posted January 22, 2006

I am delighted with the education that my daughter is receiving at SGGS. It was a last minute decision to switch her from public to private school, and the administration was very responsive and accomodating. I can't say enough good things about her teacher and the curriculum. The depth of topics and the sophistication of vocabulary and themes really pushes my child to a higher level of analytical thinking. The organizational qualities of her teacher are the best I've witnessed in academia. She keeps the children on task and informed while holding them responsible when they fail to meet the requirements. My daughter is able to participate and compete in sports at a younger age than in public schools. All this coupled with catholic spiritual growth makes SGGS a great choice for us. We are happy at SGGS.

Posted January 22, 2006

I'm very happy with the academics at St. Gregory. My children are challenged in every subject and are always motivated to learn. Some teachers in the middle school have better personalities than others but all are very professional. A teacher with a not-so-good personality teaches my child to mature and get a feel for what real life is about. We need to learn how to deal with everybody. I love the emphasis in reading and good morals. I'm very proud of the band teacher. The principal has always answered any concerns that I've brought to her attention and she's very professional and pleasant. She cares a lot about everyone and knows every student by name. I know families with low resources that she has helped so they can keep their children in the school. One of the best things for me is havings Catholic sisters among the teachers. They're great!

Posted January 22, 2006

Every time I tell someone that my child attends SGS they respond with how wonderful of a school it is. I'd have to agree. I feel that the teachers have been extremely friendly and approachable. I feel that children are encouraged on many different levels and in a way that makes them feel good about themselves. It's great to have parents so involved in the school because it allows us also to be more aware of what's happening with our children.

Posted January 22, 2006

We have had students at SGS for 6 years out of the last 10. It is by far the best school we have encountered in our multiple military moves. It is academically challenging, but with tutoring available for those finding it tough.It has a loving staff and a 'family' feel. The teachers and staff truly care about the students and their values development as well as academic development. I volunteer at the school a lot and have seen first hand the way the teachers and staff try to live out our Catholic virtues on a daily basis. Our family is involved in church activities, scouting program, sports program and band program. Our principal (and asst.) are loving, but firm, who always have time in their busy day to say 'hi' to the parents by name and make them feel welcome. We are blessed to have SGS.

Posted January 21, 2006

It's rather unfortunate that a parent who perhaps has some very unfounded personal issues would choose this forum to spread such untruths. St. Gregory the Great School has had and continues to have a stellar reputation in this community. This school prides itself in the care and nurturing of it's students as well as academic excellence. You would be hard pressed to find a better school anywhere. I've had 2 children graduate from SGS and they are flourishing in high school. My husband and I credit their success to the solid foundation of academic and moral teachings and values that were instilled upon them at St. Gregory's. This is a quality education..both academically and religiously sound, taught by a large group of competent and caring teachers and staff. If you are thinking about sending your child here, come in and see for yourself..you won't be disappointed!

Posted January 21, 2006

I am a teacher at St. Gregory's, and I cannot say enough. The teachers, counselors, and administration will bend over backward to make sure that students are getting the best Catholic education possible. We concentrate on fostering growth in the whole child. Students study religion daily and often discuss religion topics in other classes as well. Catholic life, virtues, and morals are taught in a way that students can apply them to their daily living. There are so many extracurricular activities available--science bowl team, newspaper, choir, band, soccer, field hockey, cross country, track & field, drama club, opera club, basketball, art club, and I'm sure many more that I am forgetting. If you are looking for a Catholic school in the area, I would strongly recommend St. Gregory's. Financial aid is available to families that qualify.

Posted January 21, 2006

I have had children at SGS for over eight years. My children are getting a good education, and we appreciate the opportunities they would not have had at public school (religious education, Spanish, band, soccer, choir, etc.). Most of the teachers have been excellent, the school does a good job of keeping the students safe, and they have a rigorous anti-bullying policy. However to enjoy all this, we have had to endure the rudeness and uncaring attitude of the administration, a deaf ear to complaints, and blatant favoritism. Not only do teachers have favorites, but amongst the parents and PTG there is an 'in crowd' too, and only their opinions carry any weight. For our family, it has been worth it to put up with the discourtesies, but for others this price may be too high to pay.

Posted January 21, 2006

I am a former student of this school and I am very grateful for the education I received. The students are very well-behaved. The academics are fantastic and there are wonderful extracurricular activities available. The teachers, many who have been there a long time, are very dedicated to their students. I have nothing but good things to say about this school and have no reservations about sending my own children there one day.

Posted January 21, 2006

St. Gregs is by far the best school my family has been associated with. In routinely helping our children with their homework and participation as a volunteer and attending parent/teach conferences, I am convinced in the sincerity and genuine concern by the faculty for the Catholic development and academic achievement of the students. Clics are inevitable with children as they progress into their teen years. The principal has her focus pointed in the right direction and has been a pleasure to work with.

Posted January 20, 2006

I have been blessed to consider St. Gregory the Great School my 'home away from home' for 12 years. My association with the school began when my daughter entered pre-school. I immediately joined a very active and envolved group of volunteers who welcomed me and made me feel valued. My daughter florished. She grew academically and spiritually as a result of the care, compassion and dedication of the faculty and staff at the school. I enjoyed the positive environment so much that I applied for and happily accepted a faculty position 8 years ago. I have found the staff and the administration are dedicated to meeting the needs of our students. We have many programs to address the needs of the struggling and the gifted student. My daughter is excelling in a very competitive high school because of the solid academic foundation St. Gregory provided. I highly recommend this school.

Posted January 20, 2006

I have a daughter currently in 7th grade at St. Gregory's and a son who graduated last year. I have always found the administration to be dedicated to the spiritual and educational well-being of both my children. Has their time there been without problems? No, but any time I felt the need to speak with the administration or teachers, I have always felt that my concerns were attended to in a fair and friendly manner. There are extracurricular activities that appeal to students who are interested in athletics, art, music and service, among others. There is a high level of parental involvement for those who are inclined to be involved. In other reviews some have accused the school of being clique-ish and the administration to be uncaring and I believe nothing could be further from the truth. I would invite those parents to look inward for answers to their complaints.

Posted December 11, 2005

I am a parent of a child at SGS and I must agree with most of the negative reviews posted here -- I too believe the administration to be rude and have a caustic approach to 'non clic' parent. There is also no academic flexibility -- all classes are geared for the student with the least abilities (there should be some advanced math and science courses as well); religious teachings are typically stale and plastic catholic approach.

Posted September 20, 2005

Being a military family, we have traveled all over and had our children in Catholic Schools around the country. This is by far the best school we have ever had the privilege of being involved with. The academics far exceed anything we have encountered thus far, the teachers are warm and genuinely care about the students. The administration is very concerned about the overall well being of the students and is always readily available to the parents. This school has wonderful opportunities for volunteering and a true sense of community. I can't say enough about how blessed we feel to be a part of St. Gregory the Great School.

Posted August 5, 2005

St. Gregory Catholic School is a place where students of all abilities can flourish. Teachers are willing to help students before and after school. Resource teachers are available during the school day. Religion and Catholic values are a priority. Students are able to take music or band, art and computer each week. Spanish is taught in every grade and 8th graders are able to complete Spanish I. An advanced math program offers pre-algebra and algebra. But the important thing about St. Gregory is the feeling that you are part of a family. I have been associated with St. Gregory for more than 20 years. In every school there are things that are not perfect. In every school teachers, parents, and students compain. But when looking at what is important-- is St. Gregory doing the best job possible in educating your child? The answer is a resounding YES!

Posted June 13, 2005

I'm a middle schoool student at this school. I'm very surprised with the previous comments submitted. They make the school sound horrible, but it's not! The non-bully policy is definitly enforced, with multiple 'chats' and class discusions. Also, people say that religious educations is limited to 'book-learning.' This is my 5th year at SGS, and each year my religion teacher has brought out in-depth discussions during calss. Even during morning prayers and in the cafeteria during lunch virtures are discussed and displayed. And next, teacher calling students names is false. No teacher has ever called a student a name that I know of. I do know though, that if you're a trouble making, rude student with an attitude, then teachers won't like you as much as others, but don't they have a right to?! I guess some parents just use this site as a place to blow steam.
—Submitted by a student

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Patricia O'Donnell
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Richmond