PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)

Handles bullying effectively: Disagree

Fortunately, my child is not often bullied. That said, when my child was in Kindergarten here, there were times when it was clear that other children were behaving poorly towards other students and very little seemed to be done about it other than marking the offending child's behavioral color chart down a notch or two (which doesn't fix or manage the problem)... it just calls attention to it.

Supports LD students: Neutral

My child is currently not a special needs student. As a result, I cannot effectively speak to this statement.

Effective school leaders: Neutral

I have seen improvements prior to the previous year/principle, but the jury is still out (for me) as to how effective the leadership ultimately becomes.

Develops character: Agree

This is a religious school and therefore there are certain behavioral requirements that they have for their students.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

While I believe the teachers have all their credentials, for me the jury is still out as to how effective they actually are compared to teachers in public schools. They are effectively engaging in what I call "Regurgitation Education" where they simply shove loads of information down the students' throats without effectively teaching them.

Amount of homework: Disagree

The school literally loads their students with homework. I believe it should be cut by at least 1/4th (especially in the younger grades). I feel that they are overwhelming their students and placing a heavy burden on parents. The school has well intentioned, high expectations of its parents, but they should realize that many parents here are not stay at home moms. I pay full tuition here and must work to do so.

This is a difficult one for me because I had high hopes when placing my child here. My child has attended pre-k, Kindergarten and is now in 1st grade. My opinion is that the school has potential, but there are several issues that make me realize that I need to most likely place my child elsewhere in either 2nd or 3rd grade. First, the Pros: I like and appreciate the new principal of the school. I believe she cares about the school and it's students. Since she started, I've noticed an improvement in organization. She appears approachable and willing to listen. Because she is the new principle I believe she is still getting her sea legs and trying hard to manage what seems to be chaotic (to me). Hopefully, she will be able to make the changes the school needs. The Cons: 1. The 1st grade classes are large. Too large for the students to obtain proper instruction. There are either 3 or 4 first grade classes (off the top of my head, I do not remember how many) and each class has 27 kids or more. Young children are not being taught at this age in such large classes. They are being herded like cattle and force fed information which is not teaching. The school seemed to be caught by surprise by the number of 1st grade students enrolling which seems odd due to the previous Kindergarten class sizes. While expanding the building may not have been feasible, adding trailers to their property and hiring another 1st grade teacher or two would have gone a long way in reducing class size. Because nothing has been stated in news letters about the upcoming 2nd grade school year, I worry that my child will be in a similar situation... essentially having a class that is too large in order for him/her to get proper instruction. 2. Lack of solid, well placed school information. The school communicates with parents better than it did during the 2015/2016 school year, but it is still not good. There is too much information scattered and disseminated from a variety of sources which makes school life confusing. Busy parents need simple, straightforward info in one place. 3. Teacher/staff approachability is lacking. I've personally found my child's first grade teacher authoritative and unapproachable. Much of the office staff is the same. There is little professionalism and it shows in both how they communicate. There is much tweeking that needs to be done.

While my child's classroom experience has been ok, the facilities are very poorly run, and the aftercare program is simply bad. This year, my child is in a room that faces the exterior parking lot, rather than in the school proper. His teacher is nice and kind, but the classroom is dowdy, dark and drafty. During aftercare, there is little attention to the children and they are all dumped into the school cafeteria. My child comes home at least once a week, having been struck by another child likely due to lack of supervision and structured activities. On Friday nights, the cafeteria is converted into a Bingo hall (???) for the public. Players are allowed into the hall over an hour before aftercare ends--none of these people have security clearance to be there. The administration is less than responsive, and care more about running raffles and fundraising, rather than ensuring student safety. They clearly don't care about student retention either.

I went to this school for 4 1/2 years (3rd-mid year 7th). If you do not fit their exact mold of an ideal student, you will not fit in. You will be bullied by both other students and teachers. Teachers and staff members are extremely rude and catty and will hold grudges. The curriculum is no different from public school, with the exception of religion class and heavily censored science classes. If you are a devout Catholic conservative family, then by all means, send your child here. If your child differs even slightly from that, spare them.

We have been at this school since 2004. The staff members are really nice, and the standards of the school blew our minds. We have two boys in the school, one in 6th grade, and one in 1st grade.

Last modified St Gregory The Great School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8