No rating

Virginia Beach Friends School

Private | PK-12 | 141 students

Student diversity

Special education

The school has not provided this information yet.

Living in Virginia Beach

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $302,400. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,140.

Posted May 14, 2010

Children are taught to think out of the box. The school has small classes with big opportunities to expand a child s ability to development socially and intellectually.

Posted May 13, 2010

This is our 10th year at Friends. Not only has my son thrived academically, he has become a confident young man who has learned to be comfortable in his own skin and step outside of his comfort zone, trying new, exciting opportunities. The arts and athletics have helped make him a well-rounded teenager.

Posted May 13, 2010

This is an incredible school. They are masters at teaching. Most of all, they help students to self-educate.

Posted May 13, 2010

The school helped our daughter grow and learn at her pace and found techniques that worked with her, not against her. I would recommend it highly.

Posted May 13, 2010

VVFS is a progressive and excellent school that cares for each child's growth.

Posted May 13, 2010

Friends School was surprisingly affordable and has not only small classes but a wonderful approach to teaching my child as a whole: high academics as well as overall character,confidence, and creativity.My son has flourished there after being unhappy at public schools where they have large classes,lack of creativity & lack of recognizing the individual. He loves to go to a school and is learning lifelong qualities about community service which is weaved into every aspect of the curriculum.

Posted May 13, 2010

Love the small school environment, and the way they teach the children to listen to and respect each person's opinion as well as each person's individuality.

Posted April 19, 2010

Great School - Both my children attended, one graduated, one in 4th grade. My grad is a self-sufficient, independent thinker who just got into a university in Denmark next year. My 4th grader is reading well beyond her grade level, but more importantly, she's happy and loves school.

Posted April 17, 2010

This is a Quaker school that teaches simplicity, harmony, tolerance, peace and equality with a focus on the arts and sustainability. The campus is nestled within a huge, lovely wooded area and is truly unique in its setting and philosophy. Class size is small and the opportunities to gain life long skills are grand. The school accommodates Pre-K through 12.

Posted February 22, 2010

This is my child's first year at VBFS and I am extremely satisfied with the education. My child loves going to school! The headmaster is new this year along with a number of teachers. We are signing next year's contract and are seriously considering sending our other two children next fall.

Posted February 5, 2009

I have a daughter who was in the cottage the past 2 years and is now in pre-K. We absolutely LOVE this school. Plan to send my 3-year-old there next year.

Posted July 11, 2008

I have been involved as a parent and as a volunteer at the school for 17 years. I am also an educator and a clinical psychologist. I have very high regard for the school and its leadership. My child is very successful in the adult world as a result of his education at the school. His work was individualized to meet his needs, and he was able to engage in sports, the arts, and student leadership programs that met his needs. He is now a software engineer at a dot.com.

Posted March 10, 2008

I am the parent of an alumnus of VBFS and he continues to outshine many of his co-horts at a famous Ivy League University because of his empathy for others, his kindness, and his ability to teach others weel, all because of his 12 years at the school. I highly recommend it for anyone who wants to help their children discover their true selves.

Posted March 10, 2008

I am a parent of a graduate of VBFS who attended there from K-12. I am a college educator and was Dean of two colleges of education for 15 years. By far, Virginia Beach Friends School is the best school in the region for the following reasons - the educational philosophy of the school is the most progressive in its ability to teach the whole child. Lessons are individualized to meet the needs of a wide range of children who are seeking a college preparatory education. The teachers and administrators treat the children with great respect, and parents can be very involved if they have a positive attitude that matches the school environment. I have been amazed at some of the criticism of the school on these pages. None of it is warranted. My son has gone on to tremendous success in college and has a high paying job in the field of software engineering.

Posted March 2, 2008

I changed schools 2 years ago. Friends was good for many things, but socially stifling and left me very few opportunities to engage in activities. Teachers were hit or miss.
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 17, 2008

If parents are looking for a school where their children can be academically challenged and happy, then please do yourself a favor and check this place out. I have met several high school students and I'm impressed with their confidence as well as their interests. Foreign exchange students enrich the environment.

Posted February 10, 2008

I've only been to two other schools in my life, and by far Friends School is my favorite! I've made so many friends, everyone is warm and welcoming. The teachers are just as great, I couldn't be more excited. VBFS is the best!
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 23, 2007

We have been very pleased with Friends School. It is too bad that some parents feel the need to air their grievances here--not at all productive or beneficial for our gem of a school.

Posted October 23, 2007

I have to agree with the most recent review (10/21/07). Having had children in both the Early and Lower Schools at VBFS for several years now, we have seen the academic programs only grow stronger in our years here. Parents seem very involved and linger on campus, so the comment from another reviewer about unfriendly adminstrators and poor communication seems odd to me. That has been far from our experience. Concerning other reviewers comments about 'special needs,' other schools in the region do handle kids with special needs. While VBFS does have a unique educational approach, they do not claim to be equipped for special needs kids. As with any school there are plusses and minuses, but overall we have been very pleased.

Posted October 21, 2007

I am surprised by some of what I have read here. We have children in a couple of divisions at the school and have never had a problem with communication or unfriendly administrators. As for communication, Insights and Updates is emailed every two weeks and is full of information about what is going on at the school. The turnover has been quite minimal since we have been there so I found the comment about teacher turnover very confusing. My children are happy and we are pleased with the academic program. If you are thinking about attending VBFS, I would recommend a visit--then you can make up your own mind.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Accelerated credit learning
  • Honors track

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • (757) 428-7511

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Accelerated credit learning
  • Honors track
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious