No rating

Virginia Beach Friends School

Private | PK-12 | 141 students

Student diversity

Special education

The school has not provided this information yet.

Living in Virginia Beach

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $302,400. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,140.

Posted Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Having been a student and a teacher at Friends School, my biggest thrill has been watching children develop a sense of worth, become comfortable with themselves and thrive both emotionally and academically. It is a wonderful nurturing environment that I wish all children had the opportunity to experience.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 29, 2014

I feel this school is on a downward slope. I would not, nor never could I recommend this school. Parents are charged for book fees that are not actually given toward the students. My child was in the upper school; although the teachers in the upper school were very caring, they were not given the support to help the children. middle/upper school students with learning challenges, some of them severe are brought in to classrooms that do not have special ed teachers teaching them. Tuition is ridiculously high for what you get! My biggest concern was finding out that with a 550.00 book fee charged, so why are teachers making photo copies of things instead of purchasing the actual materials needed! So where did the money actually go? 2 more things! Check out the paperwork you are asked to sign and check on their certifications before you spend all the money on tuition. Do that for any independent or private school you send your child to.

Posted February 4, 2014

Enrolling our daughter at the Friends School was the best decision we made for our child. We continue to be amazed and impressed at the education she is receiving. This school nurtures the whole child which is essential for successful learning, The teachers are responsive and caring, and really support all the children socially, emotionally, and intellectually. Our child is receiving an excellent academic experience.

Posted July 31, 2013

I have attended Virginia Beach Friends School for 5 years, going on to my 6th year, and it is the best decision my family and I have ever made. I have always felt that the teachers care and that it is a very organized school. It is sad to read these other reviews, but Friends School is not for everyone. The teachers are very welcoming and make sure every child is flying as high as they can. I found that at my old school, it was not like that. Also everyone knows each other, and their is always a smile on someones face. I strongly recommend this school to anyone who is looking for both a nurturing environment, and wanting to help a school grow. This school grows every year and can only get better in the future. I have also played many sports and mainly soccer. The athletics here grow every year as well.

Posted May 28, 2013

BEST SCHOOL IN VIRGINIA BEACH. Friends School is AMAZING. My children are younger (pre-school and kindergarten) and they love going to school. The curriculum is very diverse and interesting. The teachers are understanding, patient, and their number one concern is the student. They work well with parents if there is ever a problem or concern. A few times I have approach a teacher with a concern about my child, and they worked with me to resolve it. The office staff is helpful, everyone is friendly, and they remember who you are, who your kids are, and what class they're in. They have fun fundraisers, and the parents are welcomed to become involved. A wonderfully supportive school, and one worth looking into for you're own kids!

Posted January 31, 2013

Virginia Beach Friends School is a wonderful school. The teachers are dedicated and passionate about education and the success of each child. Staff identifies with the children (their personalities and needs) and parents. The faculty and staff truly teach and develop the 'whole child', grounding the students in ethics, self confidence, care for others, and decision making, as well as the common academic pursuits.I highly recommend this beautiful school.

Posted November 8, 2012

EXTREMLEY unorganized ........ Nothing seems to be organized like other schools... Upper school and pe are the most unorganized ..

Posted March 11, 2012

Our daughter transferred to Friends after a negative experience in public school in 6th grade. She transferred mid-year and was immediately welcomed by both faculty and classmates. Her teachers have been engaging and interested in helping her succeed, which she has done! I would whole-heartedly recommend this very special school!

Posted January 20, 2012

My daughter has been going to Va Beach Friends School since 2nd grade. She is now a 6th grader. As a middle schooler, she is now eligible to join the Athletic program and is enjoying playing Volley Ball and Basketball. She is learning the concept of team work and time management skills in getting her homework done around practices and games. The school offers a very nuturing environment for all students and I am happy to say there is no bullying there.

Posted January 15, 2012

My son graduated from Virginia Beach Friends School and is successfully completing college in four years. He was offered many opportunities to demonstrate leadership and strengthen his skills, which helped him considerably in college but also in life. He continues to do volunteer work and has two part time jobs. I appreciate the academics they offered as well as the values they instilled.

Posted January 10, 2012

I go to Virginia Beach Friends School now and I love it a lot! Its easy-going style, work method, and campus all make it feel like a camp where you learn stuff. The teachers don t talk down to us or make us learn their set-in-concrete-way; each of us are taught as individuals, so we all understand what s going on. It may be small, but that makes it easier to make friends and join in class discussions. We can accept our differences, and there s no bullying. I like being able to express my creativeness through the artistic classes they have here like Film Appreciation, Movie Making, Open Mike and Improv, Percussion, and an all new class called On the Air. We are the first class to produce a student-run internet radio station, which I got to be a host on and design the logo for. This awesome school may not have a cafeteria, but who cares? Why does it matter? Tables in cafeterias only seem to exclude other people and say who has to sit with who. We have microwaves! And Pizza Fridays, too! Besides, how many 14-year-old kids do you know that actually look forward to going to school?

Posted January 9, 2012

I'm suspicious about the intent behind the few negative comments and I welcome dialogue with their sources. Virginia Beach Friends School provides a professional, yet nurturing educational environment and sets the standard for a natural command of mutual respect which is uncommon not only among students within schools but also among adult co-workers. The building is as clean and well-maintained as any good local school its age, but it's people comprise the heart and soul that make it shine. The academic, art and technology programs are outstanding and the students take an active and accountable role in their education while benefitting from the small class sizes and one-on-one instruction that enable them to spend more time on their weaknesses, excel at their strengths and explore such unique endeavors as talk radio show and video production. Many well-educated and well-respected community members send their children to VBFS because they (we) understand the importance of students being "safe, valued, inspired and engaged." Our children know they have an important place in the world, beginning with their corner of it at Friends. I back my statement with tuition dollars.

Posted January 9, 2012

VBFS provides an incredible education for my child! -strong academics, a peaceful environment, happy teachers- schools like this are hard to come by these days I would encourage any parent who is out there "school shopping" right now to go take a look at this school.

Posted January 6, 2012

I am appalled and saddened to read some of the reviews written about this perfectly wonderful school during the last month of December. My child has been a student here for many years and I am quite pleased with the challenging academic curriculum and excellent, dedicated teaching staff. I am also pleased with the school's new "Head of School". (By the way I think that if someone had truely taught here they would know that their employer's title was "Head of School", rather than principal.) Please check this school out for yourselves. You may fall in love with it.

Posted January 3, 2012

I have been a student at Virginia Beach Friends School for seven years now, and I believe that their way of providing education is extraordinary. It has a great social environment, so I have no fear of being bullied or teased. The school's style of teaching is creative, interesting, and explorative. I enjoy all of my classes and teachers without a doubt. We are allowed to have our own opinions and questions about subjects. This makes me want to learn and explore more. As a class, we are like a family. We look out for and support each other. When the teachers allow us to work in groups, we get to share knowledge and ideas with one another. The honors council, made up of students and teachers, help create compromises to solve problems in a Quakerly fashion. Over all, Friends School has been a fantastic experience for me.

Posted January 2, 2012

Virginia Beach Friends School is a fine school with an excellent administration and hard-working, talented teachers.

Posted January 1, 2012

I am quite sorry to see the most recent remarks in reference to this school and am pretty puzzled by them. My student attends this school and it is hard for me to believe we re speaking of the same campus. It looks neat and is regularly maintained; the buildings may be old but they are clean. The teachers are wonderful and degreed, many at the Master s level. As a matter of fact, I m not aware of any teachers that have recently resigned so am doubly confused by the comments. I m very pleased with the school and my child has been very happy here.

Posted August 21, 2011

This school has been a great school for my son. He did very well in public school but when he approached Middle School I was afraid with so many students he would be able to skate and not really apply himself. He has been successful at this school - teachers care, classes are small and he is encouraged to be responsible for himself. We are very pleased with the decision we made. We are encouraged by the upgrades in technology and the total school environment. This was definitely the school for our son

Posted July 26, 2011

Our child has attended this school for the past three years. He will not be returning for a fourth. Friends is an unorganized, highly overated commune. They have no expectations for their students...poor achievement is ok, in fact celebrated as a welcome difference. The tuition is extremely high and there is no lunch room.... So they offer steel drums and square dancing, thanks but that's not going to get my kid into college. Neither is being able to stand in a circle, hold hands and sing kumbyya.

Posted June 5, 2011

Wow, Everyday Math was used with mine here. Hmm. Again, things are not always as they appear. This school appears to care about uniqueness. In fact, they had no idea what to do to help my children out. Mine have fared much better at a highly rated public school, where they had the resources to work with their giftedness.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Accelerated credit learning
  • Honors track

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • (757) 428-7511

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Accelerated credit learning
  • Honors track
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious