Virginia Beach, VA
Before care: Yes

Posted November 24, 2014
Wonderful school with a nurturing, loving environment for our kids to thrive in. Couldn't ask for a better place for my child to attend! We love CHCS!

Posted November 24, 2014
Cape Henry Collegiate is exceptional in academics, athletics, and in numerous other opportunities available. Twenty one AP courses are offered. A fantastic Global Scholars Program is also available for interested students. The school challenges every student but also has excellent faculty who truly care about each student and are willing to go the extra mile to see each student flourish. I cannot say enough about how pleased I am with the education that my son is receiving!

Cape Henry Collegiate School 4

Posted August 12, 2014
Both my children attend Cape Henry and although I have not been 100% happy every year and I do feel there are teachers there who should be long gone, I do feel my children are not numbers at the school. My lower school student is recognized by upper school teachers and my upper school student is known by lower school teachers. Is the tuition high? Absolutely! Do they not always get the gifted kids as truly gifted kids (there is a difference between gifted and over achieving)? Yes they don't always get it. BUT-when I have a concern, I am heard and my children feel safe and happy in a family atmosphere where the class sizes are superior and the academics are substantial. If you are a public school person then don't even bother, but as far as private schools go, Cape Henry is definitely worth looking at.

Posted November 12, 2013
I want my children to be curious learners...I want them to ask and think "why?" or even "why not?" instead of just "what." Cape Henry Collegiate provides an educational environment that stimulates thinking, encourages creativity, and provides the avenue for students of all ages to dig deeper into the "big picture" understanding.

Posted October 22, 2013
When I became a parent I knew that I had just accepted the most important and challenging job I would undertake. My wife and I were fortunate enough to find an amazing school in Cape Henry when we moved to Virginia Beach. My son started at Cape Henry as a Middle School student and we had so many concerns about how he would fit in and if he would be able to transition academically from the public school where he had gone. Every concern we had was anticipated and addressed before school began. The personal time spent with the Middle School Director, the group of current families who planned events to welcome us, and the availability of the faculty far exceeded any expectation we could have ever had. Cape Henry has not only set him on a path to succeed in academics, it has taught our son skills like teamwork and collaboration. Amazing school and community.

Cape Henry Collegiate School 3

Posted October 06, 2013
It's safe to say that CH's elite status weighs in on grade point average and consideration when applying to colleges (considering 100% of kids graduating from CH are accepted). The school isn't cheap - in fact it costs well over the in-state tuition for UVA. One thing CH should mention before you attend is that if you donate a significant chunk of your wallet annually, you will be kept in high regard. Also, the school should mention that they only have 1 physics teacher to accommodate every physics class. This would be fine, however this teacher blatantly abuses his power as a high school physics teacher. When an entire class of students fails a homework assignment and then the corresponding quiz has to be postponed, a red flag should pop up that says this teacher's methods are not effective - after all, how is a student supposed to ask questions and learn in a supportive environment when he is afraid of the teacher? All in all, the school, with downsides (as any), prepares the student fairly well and has a (mostly) friendly and educationally effective environment. For those not willing to excavate every penny from your bank account, perhaps you will find it better elsewhere.

Posted July 12, 2013
Cape Henry Collegiate School, Upper School: My grand-daughter completed four years at Cape Henry. She has always been an outstanding student but Cape Henry provided enrichment and emphasized core values above and beyond what can be expected from even the finest public school. Most impressive has been the well-spoken poise and presence each graduating student exhibited by the end of their final year. No longer "kids," students graduate as young adults, each ready to offer society a willing hand by continuing education and commitment to service. Entrepreneurs, scientists and engineers, artists and authors, linguists and mathematicians -- students who set out to pursue any path emerge prepared to excel with encouragement from Cape Henry's fine staff. Thank you, Cape Henry.

Posted June 21, 2013
Cape Henry has it all. Small class sizes, involved parents, diversity, cultural programs, arts, foreign language. Everything we want from a school is right here. Our son just finished kindergarten and is looking forward to going back all ready. He loves Cape Henry and has absolutely thrived. If you want a quality education for your child, and a variety of experiences, this is the school for you. We are looking forward to many more rewarding years here.

Posted November 28, 2012
The benefits I see at Cape Henry are small classes, dedicated smart teachers, a warm environment where everybody knows your name. The school works to bring out the best in each student, to capitalize on each individual's strengths. They do have lots of requirements and programs so that each student is exposed to all disciplines and athletics and needs to reach a certain high level of proficiency in academics, but the school celebrates individual strengths and interests and does not try to make each student fit a particular mold. There a a lot of foreign students here as well as many opportunities for educational travel. It seems to be a place where you'll find outstanding artists, athletes, math genius's, writers, poets, musicians, readers, all held to a high moral code and a school honor code. As a parent of 2 graduates and one lower schooler, your kids will benefit the most from enrolling in 1st grade or as soon after that as possible.

Posted November 16, 2012
Cape Henry offers amazing opportunities academically as well as in the arts and sports. We have incredible faculty who always listen and always keep lines of communication open which I feel is so important in the growth of a child. The school truly becomes a second family and it is a family that provides and facilitates what is right for YOUR child as an individual. They nurture and grow each child's strengths building the confidence and maturity to take on the world. Having three children attending Cape Henry is such a blessing and we could not be happier. Once you step foot in the halls of Cape Henry, you will never go anywhere else!

Cape Henry Collegiate School
1320 Mill Dam Road, Virginia Beach, VA  23454
Last modified Cape Henry Collegiate School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12
Cape Henry Collegiate School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top