Gateway Christian School

Private | PK-12

Living in Virginia Beach

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $160,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,150.

Sweep tile

Posted April 1, 2014

On the outside, this school looked promising, but once we got more familiar with the system here, the school's true colors showed. There's a "hierarchy" of sorts here. The kids who come from the families with the most money and the ones who are good at sports are treated WAY better than the ones who aren't. The staff treats the kids who aren't exceptional at athletics like trash. Some of the teachers are genuinely nice, but it's not worth spending the money to only get a few nice teachers. If you want to have an enjoyable experience, you better make sure you're good at sports or you better be insanely rich.

Posted February 21, 2014

Our daughter has really enjoyed her time here. We move often for my husbands job so it's not always easy finding the right school. The staff are very friendly and the class size is perfect!

Posted October 10, 2011

We have been involved in Gateway Christian School for almost 20 years now. I have had 7 of my 10 children graduate with 2 more to go. I have a nurse, a CPA, a music teacher, one who is pursuing a major in organic chemistry, and one who is studying to be an elementary teacher. Gateway has more than prepared them for college and the "big world" out there. I praise the Lord for Gateway Christian School.

Posted May 22, 2011

this school is a great place to send your child. our son loves it and is learning at a wonderful pace. Not only is he learning his academics but the focus of this school on the spiritual life is wonderful. This is truly a Christ-centered school and the staff are truly Christian people who care about my child.

Posted May 16, 2011

I agree that this school provides a good foundation for the younger students, however as a parent of a former student, I was dissatisfied with the education quality. My child receives better care and attention in the public school system. There is too much pressure regarding rules, regulations, and appearance. I do not feel that these things are a part of Christian education. The teachers are concerned and caring but lack the resources to be able to provide much for the children.

Posted May 16, 2011

As a parent of a former student, I agree that this school could use better resources. I also agree that my child receives better care in the public school system. Also agree that Christian Values DO NOT mean that you have to be the same as every other christian student. God is all about diversity and marvels in our differences, wether that is appearance or acedemic achievement. I fear this school has forgotten that.

Posted August 22, 2009

This school provides a great Christian foundation for K3 thur 3rd grade; but in the upper levels the school appears to fail to remember that the children must be able to survive in the world as a christian and not place judgement on those that are not- only God will judge.

Posted July 18, 2009

My daughter attended Gateway in her freshman year and it was the worst mistake ever. Honestly, there isn't one positive thing I can say about the experience. Academically, we had to get outside help with homework because when help was requested at school, she was made to feel inferior. When this matter was addressed with the leadership, nothing change! Socially, meetings were very disorganized, and focused more on the select few that was a part of the church body. For a Christian school, we expected more but got less!

Posted April 15, 2009

As a former student, I can justifiably say that the educational quality at GCS is all right, but that's about it. At this school, it is not enough to follow the rules - it's all about who you know. Some students try so hard to be friends with the 'good kids' and get turned down so they go with the wrong crowd. The programs are greatly lacking and hurt the student's chances of getting into a real college. Plus, the pressure to attend Gateway's little two room college is enormous. This is not what a Christian school should be like.

Posted February 20, 2008

As a parent of 2 children attending Gateway Christian School, I can honestly say that everyone there cares greatly about the level of education and Christian values that our children are being taught. The teacher to student ratio is outstanding compared to that of a public school. Gateway is very compassionate educational academy. Remember it's our children that we are investing in, and our children are the future!

Posted August 14, 2007

I am a former graduate from Gateway Christian School and I enjoyed every minute that I spent there. I grew so much in my walk with God during my years spent at GCS. The staff at this school are the best anyone could ask for and their love for God and the students is shown everday. I encourage anyone who is looking to send their children to a great christian school to consider this school.

Posted August 3, 2007

I am a parent who has had three children graduate from Gateway. All three were very prepared for college and give Gateway much of the credit for that. It may not have all the programs offered by some larger schools, but my children received an excellent Christian education at GCS. Gateway does not claim to be all things to all people...but, for those wanting an academiclly sound education with a truly Christian philosophy, it would be hard to beat.

Posted May 29, 2007

My child has attended Gateway for the last 4 years .It has only gotten worse ! I would not recommend this school to any parents who cares about their child's education.

Posted April 27, 2007

Fantastic school with wonderful teachers!

Posted April 22, 2007

As a former student, I felt this school did not challenge me whatsoever. They have no after school programs, and have very few sports teams. The school decides what classes you are assigned to. There is no choosing the classes you will take. This school also does not prepare you for college whatsoever. I wish you could put a '0' as a rating on the list. I didn't even want to rate them as a '1' on anything. This school is very disappointing and offers practically nothing to the students or parents for that matter.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted October 25, 2006

The atmosphere of this school is great. The teachers are warm and caring. It is a diverse student population which I like. Many positives and in a good location.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Baptist

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5473 Va Beach Blvd