Tabernacle Baptist Academy

Private | PK-12

Student diversity

Living in Virginia Beach

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $200,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,210.

Sweep tile

Posted August 17, 2013

I am a graduate who sends my child to this school currently. We enjoy the small class size and Bible emphasis that our child is being given. We love the phonics and reading he is receiving as well, it is above average for grade level we feel. Home work being given is appropriate for grade levels. The down side we have seen, teachers we have encountered so far seem less than excited about communicating with parents. The communicating we have done has only been done via email, even when we have requested after school meetings. Also, the teacher seem to be on their personal cell phones alot. Either they are texting or surfing the web during school hours. This is a big issue with us. We addressed many issues with administration and really didn't get to far in regards to these two issues. Overall, our child is only staying here for the Bible influence and small class size. Without that, we would be sending our child elsewhere.

Posted February 28, 2013

I am a former student of Tabernacle. After reading the reviews, I wanted to give my opinion. I grew up in a Christian home with strict guidelines as to what was expected of me. Although I had some rebellion in my life, and I didn't always want to adhere to the authority around me, I knew the teachers at Tab loved and cared for me. There was never an issue with me not being able to keep up with the curriculum. Of course, I graduated in the 80's and can't say what the school system is like now. My son went there for a year when we lived in the area, and that was in 2000. He struggled in many areas, and his teacher gave extra time to him after school and was always there to answer any questions that I may have had. I have never known a teacher that wasn't willing to devote time to a student. My sister had an accident in her senior year and was out of school for a couple of weeks. The teachers made sure she was always caught up to date, and if she needed any extra help, they were willing to help. I was out of school for 8 weeks when I was in the 9th grade, due to mono. My teachers dropped work by...and were willing to stay and help me if I had any questions. I feel was very BLESSED!

Posted November 12, 2011

This is a great school for the dedicated christian. Of all the remarks of "The school lacks this or that" You should be proud that there are schools like this still around. I grew up in the school from 1-12th. I had a mother who worked at the school for over 20 years. Does it have problems, yes but what school doesnt. Just be thankful the ones mentioned were so minor they were almost not worth mentioning. In a world where there is drugs and bullies and even worse. You can be certain that at Tabernacle this will not be tolerated. Yes this school cant be for be for everyone. But the ones who want to send there children to school and not be worried at all than this is it. Spread the word on good christian education. From a former student and graduate.

Posted August 26, 2011

I have had my children Tabernacle for 6 years now and have been very pleased the school. Academically, my children are challenged and both kids score very high on their Standardized Acheivement Tests. I have enjoyed the positive environment ,small class size, and individual attention my children receive. The new administration has brought many positive changes to the school. Standards are strict but the teachers are loving and we have not had a problem balancing the strictness out at home. Overall a great school and education for the tuition..

Posted June 9, 2009

I've been very thrilled to have my g'child attend TBA for the past 3 years. The teachers have been great, K3, K4, K5. They are committed to the educational aspect of the student, but more importantly, the spiritual. My g'child excelled in Bible knowledge and memorization. Each year the children were well supervised before, during and after school. Thanks to everyone!

Posted April 3, 2009

Tabernacle is a old minded Baptist school. It's traditional roots are much to be desired. There seems to be no room for change in the faculty's mindset of old standards. The school is very strict in discipline, which is good for children who need a strong discipline atmosphere. The teaching is very good and children do learn and grow academically if they apply themselves. However, there needs to be more love shown towards parents when a problem arise instead of being ridgid and short. The playground area needs upgrading as well as more extracurricular activities for the amount of money being charged for tuition and other in house fees. Biblical principals are applied well for the children and parents. Overall, if you're looking for strict discipline with no room for mistakes, then Tabernacle is for you.

Posted October 9, 2007

Tabernacle is a well run, smaller Christian school. The school places a large emphasis on education-be ready for 2-3 hours of homework from the 4th grade level up. Discipline is strict-don't be tardy! But is evenly administered. Class size is small, they do have some sports teams and extracurricular activities, but it is hard to field teams when the school is small. Bibilical teachings are fundamental, the school uses a mixture of Abeka and Saxon. They are a bit behind in technology, but the school tuition is more moderate than many private schools in the area. Overall, if you can handle the homework, a very good school for the price.

Posted March 21, 2007

As a recent graduate, I have some unique insight as to the quality. As some others have mentioned, the school definitely lacks in the areas of extracurricular activities and technology. If your primary concern is education/socialization, then I would look elsewhere. If your primary concern is religious instruction, then Tab's for you.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted December 27, 2005

The school has many posistives including small class sizes and a great atmosphere. I would say the downfalls would be the lack of extracurricular activities. There are a few sports but the school needs to get involved with more schools around the local area instead of the state. Maybe join a different league. The teachers that have been there for a while are great. I would say the school lacks when it comes to technology and math. There are no special programs for kids that cannot keep up either. When considering schools, Tabernacle is great but it lacks many attributes that you can get at a larger school that give kids more of a social life.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted February 23, 2005

Academics is of high importance, however they do not meet the needs of children who struggle. Different children have different learning styles and this is not recognized here. If you can't keep up with the rest, that seems to just be too bad. The extra curricular activities offered could be improved upon. Parents seem to be very involved and their intaction is always welcomed. I cherish the focus on biblical teaching and a personal relationshuip w/ Christ. However, I don't feel that discipline is always tempered w/ grace and I don't see that the atmosphere is as loving as a Christian environment should be. Overall, the school is moderate at best and could stand to undergo some changes, primarily in the area of the attitude of the upper grade teachers.

Posted September 9, 2003

This is a wonderful Christian school. It holds kids accountable for their actions has a focus on Jesus Christ throughout each classroom and this includes all the staff as well. I appreciate the sacrificial giving of each teacher and of the principal of this school and support them fully as they have gained my respect through the years. My kids absolutely love it there and are always anxious to go every morning! They have met many good friends as well here. Go Patriots!

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Baptist
Associations
  • NCSA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious