Virginia Beach, VA

Posted June 07, 2014
I have had nothing but pleasant experiences with this school. My son loves going to school and is doing very well academically and socially. The administration and teachers seem to genuinely care about the students, balancing discipline with compassion. Most of the parents are incredibly involved in the children's educations and daily school lives, and it shows in their children's behavior and attitudes. I cannot imagine sending my children to any other school.

St Matthew's School 4

Posted May 19, 2014
I have twins in first grade and have been very impressed with this school. Coming from a Montessori school, I wasn't sure how the transition was going to be in terms of academics, curriculum etc. I was definitely skeptical at the beginning of the year but both boys have done very well, made a lot of friends and have learned a lot. Both of their teachers (they are in separate classes) have gone above and beyond in terms of always being available for a conference, providing extra work or recommendations when one of my kids struggled and maintained consistent communication throughout the year. I definitely feel the tuition we paid was well worth it. The parents of the students have also been very friendly and helpful.

St Matthew's School 2

Posted March 27, 2013
We are not happy with school at all even my kids studied in St Matthew for few years some of teachers and staff is really unfriendly and very rude.you can get better education .its just waste of money:(

Posted March 22, 2013
St.Matts is very focused on academics and they hold children to very high expectations. That is what I want, so I am happy, and will have my two children return to the school next year.

St Matthew's School 3

Posted January 17, 2013
My child attended St. Matthew's School from PreK to 8th Grade. While my child received an excellent education, (with the exception of Spanish), there was constant bullying by 3 unruly boys and 1 teacher. Apparantly the rule of "no tolerance" for bullying at this school is a blatent lie. As long as St. Matthew's is receiving tuition payments from these parents the Principal will let them stay. Most of the teachers are excellent except for a few. One math teacher, in particular, who uses humilitation tactics as a weapon.

St Matthew's School 3

Posted April 23, 2012
Academically, this school is well and good but we choose Catholic schooling over public because we wanted a more Christ-centered environment and community for our children. I'm not sure we have that at St Matthews. I was really surprised at the amount of bullying and teasing that goes on at this school and frankly, the adults in charge don't seem overly concerned about it. The principal's stance seems to be "kids will be kids" and yes, kids can be mean but shouldn't a religious school strive to help kids be better than that? A clear policy on bullying and some proactive anti-bullying and character building measures would greatly improve my opinion of this school.

Posted April 06, 2012
Both of our children have attended St. Matthew's School and have received an excellent education. Our older daughter attends Bishop Sullivan Catholic High School and has excelled due to the marvelous teachers and rigorous curriculum at SMS. Students leave this school with strong problem solving abilities and excellent writing skills. Your child will succeed in any high school based on the education received here.

Posted August 27, 2010
My daughter attended SMS from K through 8th grade and she breezed through high school. She is attending The College of William & Mary and doing very well at the college level. What she has accomplished thus far is credited to the foundation she received at SMS.

St Matthew's School 0

Posted April 30, 2010
Great teachers, great academics, great coaches - a great atmosphere for your children!

Posted January 29, 2010
St. Matthew's is a wonderful school. My children attended from PK3-8th and have flourished. They are both in high school now and are doing fantastic. St. Matthew's will prepare your children for whatever High School you choose to send them to.

St Matthew's School