Courthouse Montessori School

Private | PK-5 | 160 students

Student diversity

Special education

The school has not provided this information yet.

Living in Virginia Beach

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $222,900. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,120.

Sweep tile

Posted Wednesday, April 16, 2014

My oldest child was at courthouse montessori for about 4 years. she left last year and to this day always wants to go back. The teachers and staff are absolutly wonderful. Thank you Ms W and Ms Carvitta for the knowledge you gave my child. My little one has been in toddler one for almost 2 years. Thank you so so much Ms Tieshia, Ms Lina, Ms Maritza and Ms Kim. He can count to 20( which surprised me the first time i heard him count) and recognizes the numbers as well. I am so glad i found this amazing school. Ms Carmen what you say is true, you all provide a caring, safe and nurturing environment for our kids. thank you.

Posted April 10, 2014

My three-year-old granddaughter has been coming to CMS since she was about 18 mos. old. She seems as comfortable there as at my home or her own! The staff is outstanding and Gillian has learned so much,academically and socially. The experiences are unusually rich for preschool, including music, PE and Spanish. I would love to see her continue there as a grade school student. I can't say enough about how grateful I am that her mom found this wonderful, nurturing environment in which to learn and grow!

Posted April 9, 2014

Every teacher and staff member at Courthouse Montessori School is caring, capable, and knowledgeable. Each one is willing to sacrifice their time, love and energy to ensure that each student learns and feels respected. Our son has loved his time at this school because of the consistant concern that is shown by all staff, not just his own teacher. And this environment is initiated and maintained by the superior leadership of the Principal, Ms. Milligan. Courthouse Montessori School is a great place to learn and grow as a person!

Posted April 9, 2014

My child has been attending the school for 2 years, and the quality of education is beyond what I expected. The teachers and staff are so professional and knowledgeable, patient, so courteous, they know the children's names and parents' last names. Each child learns at their own pace. My child can already read, add, substract, multiply; they have science projects. They make geography and history so interesting. They learn Spanish, Music, computer class, and have PE 3 times a week. They also provide private karate, dance and music lessons. Parents do not need to run to classes after school hours. They also teach children manners, self-esteem, and give them responsibilities, moral values, which I think are probably more important than anything else. They provide before and after care, which is so convenient for working parents. I advise all the parents that I meet to enroll them in this wonderful school. I wish I had enrolled my child at a younger age. I also wished I had been enrolled in this school when I was a child.

Posted April 9, 2014

Being a first time mother is great, but when it came down to choosing a school for my son I was petrified! Finding Courthouse Montessori, after looking at many schools, has saved my life! I really wanted a school that would academically meet my standards. Even though my son is just a toddler, I wanted to make sure he would have the best learning opportunities he could be provided, being as I am a busy mama! Learning and becoming an independent little man covered, I had to make sure the school was affordable and fit our hours. When I discovered that Courthouse Montessori was not overly priced and provided great hours, best believe I was thrilled! Knowing my pride and joy would be in a thriving learning environment and not just a common chain daycare comforts me to this day! His teachers and care takers never make me feel like I am bothering them and give the TLC you would give your child! I highly recommend this school!

Posted April 9, 2014

My son has been going to this school for 4 years. The teachers are wonderful, the staff is professional. The difference between this school and the other montessori schools is that CMS accepts your child with open loving arms. More importantly, that doesn't change once you've enrolled, the bond only gets stronger. They're like extended family to us.

Posted January 9, 2014

Courthouse Montessori is an amazing school. I recently moved from Hampton and while interviewing schools throughout the Virginia Beach area, none of them came close to what Montessori offered. The director, Carmen Milligan, personally took us on a tour of the school and addressed all of our questions and concerns. My son loves to go to school everyday and doesn't want to leave until 6pm. I am always surprised at the new knowledge he comes home with. The staff and the teachers are great and I wouldn't want him any other place!!

Posted January 7, 2014

My son attended Courthouse Montessori School for 4 years. Ms. Stefanie in the Pre Primary class was very loving and caring. When she left he had Ms. Nina, Ms. Nina was nurturing and caring. He learned to read by the age of 4. Ms. Carmen and Ms. Diana always had open arms and love for my son. Courthouse Montessori School is not just a school but it is a family.

Posted October 25, 2013

I have been a parent at CMS for over 8 years. I can say that I am very pleased with the care and education that my children have and still are receiving. I never would have thought that at the age of 2 my child would know all of her letters and letter sounds, or all of the planets. Thank you to Ms. Tieshia and her team for teaching my child all she knows. I am grateful. When leaving my child in the mornings, I am comfortable with leaving because I know she is well taken care of. CMS is a very welcoming school, all of the staff are very pleasant and are always so happy when children enter their classrooms. My older child never liked to read, but now I can't keep a book out of her hands and for that I thank Ms. W. CMS is a wonderful school. I recommend this school to anyone who needs care for their children. CMS is not just your "daycare" it is a school, the children learn on a day to day basis. Thank you to the teachers and staff at CMS.

Posted October 11, 2013

This is a great school the teachers are very professional and so loving to each and every child would definitely recommend this school to all!

Posted September 6, 2013

We do not recommend the Courthouse Montessori School, VA Beach. We witnessed a child with food allergy being exposed to all the children in the class, as well as the food products. The teacher in our son's class did not want to be there. Examples of her behavior, include her wearing white pants to the class and us witnessing her demand that children come up one at at time after lunch to wipe their hand to avoid getting her pants dirty. When a 2nd child got up, she sternly told them to sit down. My wife saw our son eating a food item we did not want him to have and asked the teacher "what happened," the teacher yelled at our son, grabbed his face, and forced him to spit out the food. We noticed a teacher reprimanding a 2-yr old boy (potty training) who urinated on the toilet seat. We heard a teacher tell a 2 yr old, "stop whining" when the child asked for something to drink during lunch time. Overall, the staffed lacked enthusiasm and appeared to not want to be there. It seemed the manner in which the "teachers" used to control the children was by directing them, "i.e. sit down, stand up, do this, do that". We did not think this manner of direction was very Montessori method like.

Posted May 20, 2013

My child has been attended this scholl for a year now. She is Pre-K. She will be attending kindergarten. The education is outstanding. The teachers are so professional. They not only know their students, they know the students from other classes. My child has developped intellectually since attending the school. The teachers challenge her at her own pace. They teach them to be polite, courteous with other students. The staff and leadership are so wonderful.

Posted February 8, 2013

My daughter has been there since she was 3.5y, now she is in Kindergarten and it's amazing. She has learned things that rival what her 2nd-3rd grade friends are learning. There is such a positive environment for the kids, every one on staff takes each child's learning and happiness to heart. Ms. Cavitta, her current teacher, inspires my girl each day. She has remained challenged and engaged throughout her entire time at Courthouse Montessori! This is the best possible foundation we could find for her.

Posted January 30, 2012

My son is started in pre-primary and is now in first grade. This school is excellent and supports him mentally, socially, physically as well as academically. He is exposed to so much and has learned so much. His teachers from Ms Richert, to Ms Cavitta, to now Ms W were nuturing, caring, and genuinely interested in his success. Ms Carmen, the principal, is also genuinely interested in the children's success and is involved and intuned. I highly recommend Courthouse Montesorri!

Posted April 27, 2010

My children do not like to LEAVE this school, I have to coax them into the car to go home!! My kids are happy, well cared for and getting a fantastic education.

Posted June 2, 2009

My daughter attended from 17 mos. old to three and a half y.o.. I strongly believe that it was her foundation here at CMS that helped facilitate her success today. She has an eighth grade reading level and entered third grade a year early, now entering the gifted program. She just earned her gold pin with the national piano guild on her first level. Things she learned at CMS at 3 y.o., her peers are just being exposed to. She can tell me where she learned some things from her teachers at CMS. We will always be grateful for such great beginnings. Thanks to all of the wonderful teachers and administration!

Posted June 18, 2008

I have a toddler and a kindergartener in this school. I have been very pleased and happy with the school. My son reads at 2nd grade level and receives personal attention. We moved to this area last year and glad we found this school. Hope my review helps some parents who are looking for quality education for their kids.

Posted November 11, 2007

This is one of the best schools I have seen for chilren. I have one toddler enrolled full time and a public school age son who attends during the summer break. Their availablity of activities is fantastic! They worked with both of them individually and listened and attended to my concerns. I feel great about leaving then there during the day and that is worth a fortune!

Posted February 12, 2007

My three children attended this school for one year, and even though we arrived after the school year had started, they were welcomed warmly and transitioned smoothly. The teachers were great, the after school program was great, the lunch program was great. Both academically and emotionally, I felt that my children thrived here. My one complaint was that no one ever seemed to be in charge.

Posted September 13, 2006

This school is one of the best kept secrets in Virginia Beach. My child has attended CMS for almost 2 years. CMS offers music, Spanish, piano, dance, and is the first private school in this area to have a PTA. I definitely recommend this school to others!!!

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Cooking/Nutrition teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Arts & music

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • Infant
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Christian
Associations
  • Other Montessori

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori

Performing arts
Media arts

School culture

• Chaperone school trips
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Volunteer in the classroom

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1305 Windmill Point Crescent