PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

We have been very pleased with St. John's. The curriculum is challenging, the teachers are excellent, and the atmosphere is positive. My son has learned so much, and he loves all of his teachers. He started at SJA in 6th grade and has been thee for 2 years. Choosing SJA was the best decision we made for him. We are very pleased with the school and highly recommend it.

Amount of homework: Agree

I believe that 20 minutes Monday - Friday, per coarse, for homework is sufficient. Unfortunately, the math teacher, a very devoted teacher, gives a wee-bite too much homework for our family liking. Extensive math packets are assigned on Thursdays and have to be completed by Monday. Weekends should be for family and family activities. A good education is vital but family is always first in our books.

We have three children who all attend SJA and could not be happier with the level of education they are receiving. SJA provides a rigorous academic curriculum in a nurturing and loving environment. The teachers are highly dedicated to providing meaningful content through fun activities and encourage development of the 'whole' child, providing high expectations for accountability, social conduct, and a positive moral compass. Financially, we were very hesitant at even trying to get our children into a private catholic school. Knowing this was where we wanted to send our children, we sat with the business manager, who worked tirelessly to make our dream a reality. I would highly recommend St. John's, not only for their academic excellence, but for anyone who wants a small, loving, family atmosphere for their child.

I only went to this school for half of my 7th grade year. I didn't particularly enjoy it. It's very small compared to the other catholic schools in Virginia beach. 14 kids in the entire 7th grade makes it really easy to become an outcast with no friends if you don't fit into their particular mold. If your kid does well in this type of environment, then this school is for them. If not, pick somewhere else. Their school lunches were pretty awesome, I will admit.

My family has been part of the SJA family since 2010. And when I say family I really mean family. Along with amazing caring teachers and staff, there is a sense of community that cannot be duplicated in any public school setting. Parents are always welcomed and encouraged to take part in field trips and class parties. The teachers encourage the kids to do their best but also have high standards. If you walk in the building behind a student they will always hold the door for you. This behavior is taught and expected of them. The presence of God is everywhere. So if that is something that is important to you, then this is the school for your child. Small class sizes are also a plus. The children go to mass every week and are always jumping at the opportunity to answer the priest's questions. We almost sent one of our children to public school several years back. (Our youngest was enrolled in SJA because we liked the full day kindergarten program) When we walked her into St. John's there was such sadness on the faces of friends and former teachers as they saw their classmate in regular clothes. We quickly changed our minds, sent him to SJA and never looked back.

My daughter has attended SJA since she was in kindergarten and we couldn't be happier with the school. She has had some wonderful teachers throughout her time there who have fostered a love of learning in her. The teachers put a lot of time into their lesson planning and it shows in the activities that the kids are engaged in every day. They really do make learning fun for the kids. The administration is extremely visible throughout the school day as well. They know every student and parent by name and always have time to meet with you should you want clarification on a policy. There are also a lot of extracurricular activities at the school in which the students are encouraged to participate. My daughter loves representing her school both on the sports fields and in clubs. I would highly recommend St. John's to anyone looking for an alternative to public education.

My daughter has attended St. John's for nearly a year now, and we have had a great experience! We came from a larger Catholic school out of state, and within the first few weeks, my daughter and I both felt like we fit right in. We were welcomed with open arms by staff, teachers, parents, and parishioners of the church. My daughter is very happy in the smaller classrooms (max of 20 kids), and she is excelling in all subjects. She's challenged with the curriculum, and her assessment scores reflect her hard work and the excellent education she is receiving. If we didn't have the warm, Catholic community at SJA, I don't know that our transition to Virginia Beach would have gone as well as it has. My daughter enjoys after school sports and activities with the many school friends she has made, and the parent involvement has been great! It's a community within a community at the school. We have nothing but positive things to say about this school!

Everyday my daughter would come home crying because the kids and teachers are mean. When the parents get together it's like an episode from the Real Housewives. When my daughter was in the variety show she was picked for her singing by students and teachers. It does focus around God but they judge everything you do. Overall I will never go back. Thank you.,

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Honestly, stay away from the preschool. Most of the other staff members are amazing... A lot of gossip happens in this school. The preschool teacher will not hold back about your child's poor behavior or who gave everyone lice to other parents.

As a student at Sja.I would say how we are being taught is not great the Teacher complain about how we aren't the best kids to work with and how we are bad kids.If they didn't treat us bad we would try harder.I have been going her for 9 years and some was great but theses past few years have been really bad and I really wished I went to public school.it would be the same but maybe even better.

Last modified St John The Apostle Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8