Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

Posted September 19, 2015
I absolutely love this school. Our twins attend RES (presently in kindergarten), and I am impressed by the personal attention my children are both receiving and the quality of the education. Our kids are learning to read in kindergarten, have music, phys-ed and Spanish classes each week. We get outstanding DAILY written communication from the teachers, and since our children ride the bus to school we have become completely comfortable with the extremely thorough and safe bus rider management system that RES has to make sure our kids get on the correct bus safely at the end of school. RES has many activity programs including a great 4H after school program which our twins have joined even in kindergarten. Our children actually started working with RES staff even before they started kindergarten. They were attending a pre-school (CCLC) for three years before they started RES this year. The pre-school recommended speech therapy for the twins and speech therapists from RES worked with them weekly from that point on. Excellent school, small town values and great people. We're extremely lucky to have this gem in our little community.

Rappahannock County Elementary School 4

Posted October 14, 2011
In response to the latest comment made... the schools PTO is currently working on new playground equipment, it was brought to the schools attention that bullying was occuring in hiding spots that the teachers couldnt see...those structures are being removed and new ones installed. Otherwise all other equipment on the playground is in very good condition. As for the comment on the pregnant 3rd grade teacher? Do you know what grade your child is in? My son is in the 3rd grade with Ms. Gangel, Ms. Way, and Ms. Turpin (sp?) None of these teachers are pregnant! And since when should female teachers not get pregnant...should they plan their pregnancies around the school year? Just such an absurd comment! I have several family members with kids in this school and although none of us are farmers...I find the comment offensive, so what if Rappahannock has alot of farming families, that has no bearing on what type of school this is! I for one am very proud of the school and the steps they have made this year esp to make it even better, starting w/ their Anti bullying program and the use of agendas given to every student to help them stay organized and so that parents are informed everyday!

Rappahannock County Elementary School 1

Posted September 30, 2011
RCES is an extremely poor school. They cannot pass safe water tests. Now the playground doesn't even stand up to safety codes. Parent/Teacher communication is EXTREMELY poor. Our son is in the third grade, is failing his SOL's, then got stuck with a pregnant teacher who is not even going to be there to teach for the first 2 months of the school year! His entire 3rd grade class is being taught by multiple substitute teachers in the pregnant teacher's absence. So no big surprise when our son came home with poor scores on his first interim report. We are extremely dissatisfied with the education provided by this school. It is a babysitting service for children of farmers, AT BEST. Based on the school's SOL scores, this school rates in the LOWEST 5% of schools in the state of Virginia. If you do not care about your child's education, send them to RCES! We are trying our hardest to get our son out of this school system!!!

Posted August 05, 2009
The teachers and the administration at RCES are awesome. My son has many behavioral issues and Mrs. Johnson had taken a special interest in my son. He looks for her at the flag pole each morning to get his HUG. The staff do care how your children are doing. It is also nice because the classroom size is a little smaller than other counties. GREAT SCHOOL!!

Posted May 29, 2007
I have found the teachers and administration at RCES to be very concerned about my son. He is performing above grade level in both math and reading. His teachers seem to have effective classroom management strategies and he has never mentioned any out of control students.

Rappahannock County Elementary School 4

Posted May 10, 2007
I love RCES. My daughter is finishing up Kindergarten and is already reading on a First Grade level. I might have seen one or tow children 'out of control' but they are taking medication to control this issue. I would consider this a typical 'small town' school - compared to neighboring Culpeper County. Anywhere you go you are going to find the occasional problem child. Just because neighboring schools have higher numbers (attendance) does not make them better schools! The teachers are all concerned about the education of the children and the parent participation is about normal for any elementary school. The curriculum is well rounded - my daughter is in a Spanish class!

Rappahannock County Elementary School 1

Posted April 04, 2007
Rappahannock Elementary has been nothing but problems for us and our son. First the kids are simply out of control, teachers don't even seem to care, the principal seems completely out of it. Academics they are very far behind the school my son just came from (a public school in MA). We are very disappointed and can't wait to take him out of the school.

Rappahannock County Elementary School
34 Schoolhouse Rd, Washington, VA  22747
Last modified Rappahannock County Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-7. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.